Why the hell didn't they release the song "Checkmate" ?

The short clip of this song that has been on youtube stood out for me as one of the most catchy rockers I've heard from the band since 1993, better than most of the tracks on CD.. I don't understand why it didn't make the album, or why it hasn't been released properly or played live or anything? Anyone have any info on it?

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

My guess: liability reasons.

(Emphasis mine)

This quote is directly related to the issues with UMG/Azoff/Best Buy and finding a way to release the record and recoup on the large costs to the label. Best Buy and GNR getting the short stick there when there was no need to sink really any substantial marketing costs into the venture when UMG recouped up front on those units. Axl and co shutting down any cooperation with the release moving the situation even further into disagreement. All of which resulting in lawsuits.  The more minor stuff was getting clearance from the MLK estate for Madagascar, etc.... 

The follow up from my guess is an issue with giving the band another advance. They couldn’t agree on that number and a marketing budget to push it through. There was a lot of red tape between GNR and UMG. They were prob far apart on an agreement to facilitate a release due to where each party stood in the scope of the industry and their rights 

I do wonder if Slash/Duff had anything to do with Checkmate/Jackie Chan. In one of Duff's last interviews before quitting GN'R, conducted in 1996, he said the band was working on a song for the next Jackie Chan movie. And didn't Richard say some stuff they were working on had its origins with Slash?

57 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

I do wonder if Slash/Duff had anything to do with Checkmate/Jackie Chan. In one of Duff's last interviews before quitting GN'R, conducted in 1996, he said the band was working on a song for the next Jackie Chan movie. And didn't Richard say some stuff they were working on had its origins with Slash?

Hmm that's interesting. From the clip, it does sound more in line with something that they would write, i.e. more of an upbeat rocker. 

Are there any other known clips, apart from the short studio segment that most people have heard?  

Why wasn't it included on the album? Probably because of the same reason why The General, Seven, Soulmonster and other A-listed songs weren't included. Because they wanted to save some big guns for the later albums. It's a pretty common thing in music business actually. Bands don't just put all of their best songs on one album. Sometimes they save some of the better songs for future albums. Sometimes certain songs work with some songs thematically better than with some other songs. They probably wanted to include Scraped on CD because they wanted to have an uplifting song. Perhaps Checkmate/Jackie Chan just wasn't thematically the kind of a song that they wanted to include on the album. Normally albums aren't just compilations of the best songs available. Those kind of records are called best of albums. But normally bands have a certain vision of an album. For example AFD was supposed to be a raw in your face rock n' roll album. That's why they didn't include for example Don't Cry on that album even though most would agree that it's a better song than Anything Goes. But Don't Cry didn't fit AFD and they probably also wanted to save some big guns for later. Same thing with Checkmate, The General etc... Those songs didn't fit the theme of CD and they wanted to save some of the better songs for future albums. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

That makes sense in the context of AFD, because most of the songs have a similar tempo and drive. But UYI was a total mish mash of stylesveering from one type of song to the other and back again. In fact I'd goes as far as saying there is no flow to the tracklisting at all on UYI. They probably should have stuck all the rockers on one album and the slower ones on another, but were worried that one would outperform the other too much.

• Like 1

Also, considering there was so much expectation for CD, it was a risky move holding back better songs for the next album. When I first heard CD it didn't blow me away and I struggled to get into any of the songs really. If something like Checkmate had been the opener, I would have been all hell yeah this rocks, etc, and given the rest of the album more of a chance (I do like some of CD now though.)

Saying all that, my first listening of UYI was number II, and hearing Civil War, 14 Years, Yesterdays, my first reaction was what the hell is this shit, it sounds totally different to AFD, it's all slow and weak, I'm not into it etc, but fast forward a few months and I was digging it, Civil War is one of the best songs of theirs imo.  

3 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

If that song ever comes out and will be called "Jackie Chan" instead of "Checkmate" I will first set all my GNR stuff on fire and then myself.

"Checkmate" sounds like a really cool song title.

"Jackie Chan" sounds just ridiculous.

Jackie Chan is a working title and subject to change. Checkmate was the name given to the clip by the leaker. Rumor has it he had the entire 1999 Beavan album.

• Like 1

Will waiting longer and longer for these songs give them more mystique, or will it make us forget about them? In 20 years, (assuming none of the other CD stuff is released) will we still care about this music? In the clips we've heard, the music sounds very promising. If these songs are actually as good as advertised, we MUST hear them at some point before no one cares!!!