Live Era on Spotify - now includes locations for select tracks?

Not a big fan of Live Era because of the overdubs and some of the bizarre track choices (only GNR CD I don't own along with Greatest Hits), but I decided to listen to it on Spotify. Noticed that it has place names for some of the tracks which is odd. What's even more odd is that it doesn't have it for Estranged, which is obviously from Tokyo '92 (apart from the Axl overdubs):

AQMv9ZG.png

LmUig2W.png

I know the Live Era version of Rocket Queen has always been contentious as to whether it's entirely rerecorded or not, interesting that it's one of the tracks without a city or year next to it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

You Could Be Mine always makes me chuckle also.  

The last verse though is the original from Tokyo, it's mean and amazing. Makes me wonder why the fuck Axl would do that.. shows where his voice is blown out like in 91 or some of the Tokyo songs, sure makes sense. But not for my Michelle or brownstone or nightrain. Doesn't make sense

I always thought this album was quite weak.  There are much better live versions of most of those songs.

I wish there was a Guns live album that was actually like one of their live shows.  No LALD, Civil War, Double Talkin Jive etc on live era

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

The last verse though is the original from Tokyo, it's mean and amazing. Makes me wonder why the fuck Axl would do that.. shows where his voice is blown out like in 91 or some of the Tokyo songs, sure makes sense. But not for my Michelle or brownstone or nightrain. Doesn't make sense

And Jungle. Opening scream is original and first 2 verses are overdubbed. and in "feel my serpentine" wild Axl comes back. It's weird, it's the best of his overdubbs tho. It would be hard to say if the whole song was overdubbed but when 92 Axl comes back it's a lot wilder. Jungle was great in 90s, I don't know why he wanted to do it

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Yeah this is the first time I listened to the track all the way through since the opening overdubs put me off, but fuck that un-overdubbed last verse is killer.

6 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I always thought this album was quite weak.  There are much better live versions of most of those songs.

I wish there was a Guns live album that was actually like one of their live shows.  No LALD, Civil War, Double Talkin Jive etc on live era

I actually love the album.  Maybe it’s because it came out during a unique time in my life and nostalgia is involved, but when I would drive to and from college (NJ to NC) I would listen to the whole thing. Helped pass the time.

i will agree that the tracks selected were confusing especially considering many were already released as b-sides to singles or officiallybreleaded via PPV or the Tokyo shows

• Like 1

Slash rerecorded some guitar stuff, for examble Used To Love Her.. its from a Toyko 88 Show (besides the last verse, is complety new recorded).. Slash original solo was abit sloppy, on Live Era it's sounds better.

I have the feeling that some new Axls vocals was planed for the Appetite For Destruction Re-recorded? specially, WTTJ, My Michelle, Sweet Child O' Mine, Rocket Queen

I was (and remain) sooooooo bummed by Live Era. 

GNR was an absolute beast at that time as far as live performing goes. I would have MUCH rather had a live album be LIVE, warts and all. 

I can't imagine how the overdubs helped the album in any way. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

Slash rerecorded some guitar stuff, for examble Used To Love Her.. its from a Toyko 88 Show (besides the last verse, is complety new recorded).. Slash original solo was abit sloppy, on Live Era it's sounds better.

I have the feeling that some new Axls vocals was planed for the Appetite For Destruction Re-recorded? specially, WTTJ, My Michelle, Sweet Child O' Mine, Rocket Queen

I mean what’s the point? I know Thin Lizzys Live and Dangerous gets hammered for some overdubs but this actually sounds worse!  Can it realistically be called Live material??

I much prefer to have raw mistakes and all material.

Some songs are gems like Dust N' Bones, You're Crazy, Paradise City; the rest is garbage though. The GNR fanbase has to be the most misaligned and longing; in terms of live material: Tokyo and Live Era... Besides the Live from the jungle stuff and some Singles B-sides that's all we get. Fuck I wish I was a bigger Metallica or Red Hot Chili Peppers fan. They get everrrrrrrrrrrrryyyy show in a soundboard..

5 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Some songs are gems like Dust N' Bones, You're Crazy, Paradise City; the rest is garbage though. The GNR fanbase has to be the most misaligned and longing; in terms of live material: Tokyo and Live Era... Besides the Live from the jungle stuff and some Singles B-sides that's all we get. Fuck I wish I was a bigger Metallica or Red Hot Chili Peppers fan. They get everrrrrrrrrrrrryyyy show in a soundboard..

Got myself a Live CD from the entire Metallica show I went to last year, wish Guns would do the same but we know how they seem to feel about fans these days...

4 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

My friend who is a guitar player always swore that It’s So Easy was fixed by Slash as well.  Ironically enough I remember an interview at the time when Slash said it was a fair representation of the band, warts and all.  

4 hours ago, NeonKinight said:

have y'all noticed that there's a voice very similar to Robin Finck's in Mr. Browstone? specially in that part "I used to do a little.."

Yeah I've always actually assumed it was a mistake and accidentally added from the wrong session and no one cared enough to notice/fix it. It definitely doesn't sound like Duff, unless he was exceptionally smashed even by his standards to completely change his voice and just scream shit. A voice that sure sounds like Robin pops up in another track on Live Era, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Some of Axl's new vocals are absolute top tier though, so I'm not concerned with the dubs and whatnot. Rocket Queen and Nightrain in particular are better than any actual live recording there is of either song from him.

Edited by Stro
  • Like 1