"Going Down" rights sold to another band?

1 hour ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

I would rather listen to My World on repeat for the rest of my life over having to hear Scraped all the way through just once.

Dayum! 

I mean... Scraped isn't my favorite GNR song by any means, but damn, that's cold lol

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

"I'm here to tell you you're worth more than they tell you! Ahhhhh oh!" Lol come on. It's just soooooo bad...

Hilariously I’ve seen several people (mostly places like Reddit or YouTube) say it’s their favorite song on CD. It sounds like a Buckethead song they picked to do vocals on.

Edited by LTS

On 18/08/2018 at 6:41 AM, Estranged Reality said:

I really like Going Down. It definitely sounds like a Stinson song, though... he should have put it on his record and asked Axl to do backing vocals on it if they didn't intend to ever release it under GN'R.

Stinson was kind of the Izzy of the CD era. One song on CD is his, Riad. Then going down coulda been like 14 years. 

On 8/18/2018 at 12:29 PM, YourMother'sDruthers said:

I would rather listen to My World on repeat for the rest of my life over having to hear Scraped all the way through just once.

Prove it; record yourself listening to My World on repeat for over an hour, upload it to Youtube, and share it here.  Don't forget to mention how much you dislike Scraped in the video  :headbang:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoymatic said:

What makes everyone hate My World so much? Is it because it sounds nothing like any other GnR song? It's basically an outro to a double album.

What could have made My World a better song? Or even a full length track?

Its nonsense lyrics over a directionless and plodding beat with random screaming and sex noises mixed it. I don't see any value in the song.

• Haha 1

I like My World. After all these years, and looking back, it's funny how it sort of bonds with OMG and Silkworms type of sound, thus proving that Axl really was into experimenting and getting serious with industrial.

I believe he trully was gravitating towards that kind of sound and Chinese Democracy, suffering from its creator's swing of musical influences, eventually became the vehicle that picked up passengers from different nationalities, got them all together without really trying to make any sense of it and hoped for the best - you get rockers, ballads, epics, industrial, guitar solos, questionable beats and a whole lot of other stuff that's going on in there.

I dig it. All of it.

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, History2010 said:

Its nonsense lyrics over a directionless and plodding beat with random screaming and sex noises mixed it. I don't see any value in the song.

Right, but I feel like that was done purposely. An outro isn't going to be like a full song with a course and stuff. I think it made people curious, people who may not have normally listened to GnR. If someone who wasn't much into hard rock but liked something that sounded futuristic at the time, it would have had them asking for more.

I would have liked to hear My World done as a full length song. I know it would have turned a lot of GnR fans off, but it would have brought new fans into the fold. Fans who were more alternative than classic rock fans. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

I would have liked to hear My World done as a full length song. I know it would have turned a lot of GnR fans off, but it would have brought new fans into the fold. Fans who were more alternative than classic rock fans

Its all pretty and fancy in theory but real life is waaay different, people whos been part of the industrial/alternative scene would never ever turn into GNR fans just because theyve put some electro influences in some songs, they would still call GNR a posers grandma band, specially during the 90s, when the alt scene was really tight. 

It didnt work even after the release of CD when people and the alternative scene was super open minded so imagine the catastrophe it would be in the 90s. GNR would have nowhere to go as the rock fans would lose interest and the alternatives would still find them lame. 

59 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

Right, but I feel like that was done purposely. An outro isn't going to be like a full song with a course and stuff. I think it made people curious, people who may not have normally listened to GnR. If someone who wasn't much into hard rock but liked something that sounded futuristic at the time, it would have had them asking for more.

I would have liked to hear My World done as a full length song. I know it would have turned a lot of GnR fans off, but it would have brought new fans into the fold. Fans who were more alternative than classic rock fans. 

I remember the first time I heard this when I was a little kid. I finish Don't Cry Alt. and then suddenly this thing blares out of the speakers and I'm like wtf is this. I thought it was fascinating, especially considering it was a complete 180 to the rest of the album. It's mental.

I don't get why it gets so much hate, it's just Axl having fun in the studio. People take it way too seriously and therefore miss the point entirely.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I remember the first time I heard this when I was a little kid. I finish Don't Cry Alt. and then suddenly this thing blares out of the speakers and I'm like wtf is this. I thought it was fascinating, especially considering it was a complete 180 to the rest of the album. It's mental.

I don't get why it gets so much hate, it's just Axl having fun in the studio. People take it way too seriously and therefore miss the point entirely.

Completely agree. It truly is different than anything else GnR at that time. I also do not understand all of the hate. Artists make changes to whatever it is that they do. That is what My World was a sample of. The band was experimenting with a different type of sound, and it sounded different than any other song they had made. Artistic progression usually results in better music over the course of time. There have been so many bands that have had continued success after making the transition to a different sound, and GnR would not have been an exception.

• GNFNR 1

i feel kinda sorry for Axl that the 2 songs people consistently say are the worst on UYI are both ones which he pretty much created himself

My World is him pissing around with synths on mushrooms, and Shotgun Blues is him on guitar attempting to do a British Punk song

And everyone just cringes when they hear these efforts

On 18/08/2018 at 6:29 PM, YourMother'sDruthers said:

i am looking for an acapella version of scraped. you seem to be the right person to ask