3 - Hancocks Half Hour

4 - The Likely Lads/Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads

5 - The Young Ones

6 - Bottom/Filthy Rich & Catflap

7 - I'm Alan Partridge

8 - Fawlty Towers

9 - Porridge

10 - Rising Damp

Honourable Mentions: The New Statesman, Ab Fab, Blackadder, Father Ted, Just Good Friends, Dear John, Only Fools and Horses, The Office, In Sickness & in Health

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 3

Parks and Recreation

Spaced

The Office (both)

MASH

Seinfeld

Hey Ladies

Unbreakable (Season 1)

Reno 911

Freaks and Geeks

The Newsroom (Canadian, unrelated to big Jeff Daniels show)

Havent seen many episodes but really want to see it all:

The Thick Of It

Cobra Kai

The Marvellous Mrs Maisel 

Edited by soon
Added Hey Ladies. Its fucking awesome!
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Angelica said:

The Larry Sanders Show

Seinfeld

Cheers

Arrested Development 

Strangers with Candy

Fawlty Towers

Veep

30 Rock

I’m Alan Partridge 

Frasier

Summer Heights High

The Good Place

DQpgpxw.jpg

52 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You know that Shaw quote, the English and Americans having ''everything in common except language''. Glancing at this thread I believe he should have said sitcoms. 

We made a fucking art form of sitcoms.  They are like pieces of theatre, hilairiously funny pieces of theatre but gutsy stuff that had the nerve to address like, social issues and situations and race and gender politics and contentious issues of the day, as far back as the 50s and 60s.  An equivalent today would be an American sitcom sending up, oh i dunno, take that whole thing of black fellas kneeling for the national anthem, that would never fuckin' happen.  Til Death Us Do Part was like almost a forum for contentious social issues of the day funnelled through a bigoted racist and his working class family.  Steptoe is almost like a human tragedy.  And this stuff is all realised after the fact, in their day they were just roaringly hilairious.  It is a testament to the powerful nature of the satire in something like TDUDP that it was highly contentious in its day and now, over half a century later, its even more contentious and unbroadcastable almost, even if they were to make a modern day equivalent.  It makes people uncomfortable with themselves.  The writing of people like Galton and Simpson, Johnny Speight, Dick Clement and Ian LeFrenais and later Marks & Gran is just brilliant.  There's a reason why scores of our sitcoms have these homogenzied versions made abroad in countries across the world, removed from the cultural specifics and, in my opinion, rendered inferior. 

This is why, in this day and age of slating them, I am proud as punch of the BBC, some of the stuff they put out was just fantastic stuff (though all of the above mentioned was not the BBC, most of it was). 

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

We made a fucking art form of sitcoms.  They are like pieces of theatre, hilairiously funny pieces of theatre but gutsy stuff that had the nerve to address like, social issues and situations and race and gender politics and contentious issues of the day, as far back as the 50s and 60s.  An equivalent today would be an American sitcom sending up, oh i dunno, take that whole thing of black fellas kneeling for the national anthem, that would never fuckin' happen.  Til Death Us Do Part was like almost a forum for contentious social issues of the day funnelled through a bigoted racist and his working class family.  Steptoe is almost like a human tragedy.  And this stuff is all realised after the fact, in their day they were just roaringly hilairious.  It is a testament to the powerful nature of the satire in something like TDUDP that it was highly contentious in its day and now, over half a century later, its even more contentious and unbroadcastable almost, even if they were to make a modern day equivalent.  It makes people uncomfortable with themselves.  The writing of people like Galton and Simpson, Johnny Speight, Dick Clement and Ian LeFrenais and later Marks & Gran is just brilliant.  There's a reason why scores of our sitcoms have these homogenzied versions made abroad in countries across the world, removed from the cultural specifics and, in my opinion, rendered inferior. 

This is why, in this day and age of slating them, I am proud as punch of the BBC, some of the stuff they put out was just fantastic stuff (though all of the above mentioned was not the BBC, most of it was). 

Well I'm probably not as keen on sitcoms as you - I couldn't name you the writers -  but it is amusing how the Americans list solely American ones, and the British list solely British ones, and even the British ones the Americans list are in fact American remakes of British ones such as The Office. British and American humour is very different I'm forced to conclude.

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well I'm probably not as keen on sitcoms as you - I couldn't name you the writers -  but it is amusing how the Americans list solely American ones, and the British list solely British ones, and even the British ones the Americans list are in fact American remakes of British ones such as The Office. British and American humour is very different I'm forced to conclude.

I find American television comedy to be largely fucking awful, though to be fair I haven't seen any recent examples, perhaps its evolved greatly.  On the flipside though their stand up is and has historically always been pretty fuckin' fantastic, they absolutely blow us out of water in that regard.  American comedy excels most when it has that freedom of stand up.  Sitcoms are actually extremely difficult to do well, from a writing as well as a performance standpoint. 

You have 30 minutes on average and you don't have the liberty always of establishing characterisation so quickly without getting laughs in there, its an incredibly complex balance to effectively strike.  There was an old time rule that if you weren't laughing by the first page (one page of script on average representing a minute of screen time, though its not a precise thing) then you're failing. 

The sitcom is in danger of dying actually, especially in this country, humour is finding itself under certain constraints and, also, there are fewer sitcoms, fewer people tuning into telly on the whole and as a result sitcoms are given a lot less time to sort of embed themselves into the public conciousness for us to get familiarity with them.  Its rare for a sitcom with less than amazing viewing figures in the first season to get re-commisioned, which is a shame I think. 

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I usually just sat with a blank expression whenever my sister was watching Friends

Fuck me, you went through that too?  I can still remember the theme tune to that bastard thing whistling through my head in my nightmares.  I genuinely not being obtuse here but I struggle to see what they're laughing at.

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They have these very cushy lives in a luxury apartment, little relationship issues and meeting for coffees. Where is the tragedy? 

Thats probably what it is, we're just morbid fuckers, we find humour in desperate situations.  Like when John Sullivan said he couldn't write another episode of OFAH after they became millionaires unless they lost their millions because rich people ain't funny. 

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thats probably what it is, we're just morbid fuckers, we find humour in desperate situations.  Like when John Sullivan said he couldn't write another episode of OFAH after they became millionaires unless they lost their millions because rich people ain't funny. 

If Friends was British it would have been a much dingier apartment and they would all be jobless.