Your favourite sitcoms

Sosso

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

If Friends was British it would have been a much dingier apartment and they would all be jobless. 

Not really. Coupling was the British version of Friends and I seem to remember that they all had rather good jobs. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I thought you were oblivious to British culture?

You thought wrong, but that's not the first time. I already mentioned Gavin & Stacey earlier as one of my favourite sitcoms. 

And you made me think of Coupling, which was a superb show as well. 

One thing about British comedy is it has been garbage since Only Fools really. There was a brief comeback when Royale Family and Office were active but generally it has been crap ever since the '90s. The golden era was the '60s and '70s, Rising Damp, Porridge, Steptoe.

What is it now? Well Evan will know better than me. 

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

One thing about British comedy is it has been garbage since Only Fools really. There was a brief comeback when Royale Family and Office were active but generally it has been crap ever since the '90s. The golden era was the '60s and '70s, Rising Damp, Porridge, Steptoe.

What is it now? Well Evan will know better than me. 

Phoenix Nights was brilliant.

• Like 1

Apart from the two shows I mentioned, the only other British sitcoms I remember watching the last years are Shameless and The Young Person's Guide to Becoming a Rock Star. Let's face it, humour isn't really your thing.

But you're good at other things, like... uhm...I wanted to say football, but that's not really the case anymore... uhm... ah, forget it.

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

You thought wrong, but that's not the first time. I already mentioned Gavin & Stacey earlier as one of my favourite sitcoms. 

And you made me think of Coupling, which was a superb show as well. 

I've never seen Coupling, but I was going to say that Spaced is the BBC version of Friends.

Although I never watched Friends and loved Spaced.

49 minutes ago, soon said:

I've never seen Coupling, but I was going to say that Spaced is the BBC version of Friends.

Although I never watched Friends and loved Spaced.

Don't know that one. Coupling was three guys, three girls, hanging out in a pub/coffee shop all the time, just like Friends, the only real difference, besides the posh accents, is that it was more raw, less cheesy than your typical American sitcom. It's worth checking out, it's funny, especially for a British show.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, you had to hide the radio receivers under bed sheets whilst listening to the Beeb just in case the Gestapo overheard.

We had to be a little bit more creative than hiding them under bed sheets. Give the Gestapo some credit.

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Don't know that one. Coupling was three guys, three girls, hanging out in a pub/coffee shop all the time, just like Friends, the only real difference, besides the posh accents, is that it was more raw, less cheesy than your typical American sitcom. It's worth checking out, it's funny, especially for a British show.

Coupling definitely sounds closer then. And it sounds worth a watch for sure. I was going with Dies' criteria of dingy apartment and joblessness, I guess. Spaced is about romantic tension between two roommates who are potheads on the dole who want to work in creative fields. And their friends; a tweaking-raver-bike-delivery-person, eccentric painter neighbour, cougar land lady, military enthusiast with a secret, judgemental fashion victim, and a performance artist named Vulva. Lots of pop culture references. Worth checking out too! But I like British humour. 

• Like 1

In no particular order 😏

Seinfeld

Cheers

Frazier

Married with Children

Two and a half Men

How I Met Your Mother

I remember seeing one particular rerun of the old Bob Newhart Show where all the men got drunk playing cards and started ordering Chinese food....that episode sticks with me to this day, I cried I laughed so hard. 😄

Edited by BlueJean Baby
  • Like 1