Jump to content
Towelie

Do you think Axl likes SMKC's music?

Recommended Posts

He said he liked Ju Ju Hounds but thought it sounded like a demo. I imagine SMKC, Snakepit and VR were viewed in a similar way.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Axl got all excited about the digital ability to isolate tracks and has hired Howerdel to help him splice and dice Izzys and Slashs catalogues into new, mash upped tracks. Into their Axl-elevated 'proper' form. :lol:

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in Axls line of work i should imagine he listens to a lot and likes a lot, including SMKC. 

not to sure on the Pigeons of shit metal though :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Axl liked Michael Jackson, Janis Joplin,Elvis, Christina Aguilera, on and on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, soon said:

He said he liked Ju Ju Hounds but thought it sounded like a demo. I imagine SMKC, Snakepit and VR were viewed in a similar way.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Axl got all excited about the digital ability to isolate tracks and has hired Howerdel to help him splice and dice Izzys and Slashs catalogues into new, mash upped tracks. Into their Axl-elevated 'proper' form. :lol:

Axl look as crazy scientist about rhe music:lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I think the interesting question is did he steal all of Slash's albums or did he buy them?

Probably sent one of his hangers-on to go and buy it for him so he doesn't feel guilty for directly putting money towards a Slash product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was that story about the two girls that came onto the tour bus with Axl in 2010 and said a Slash song came on and someone quickly went to turn it off but Axl got mad and said to leave it on because he likes this one. Then proceeded to talk about Slash all night. 

Probably fake but just as likely real haha 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Nah. 

Pretty much this.  I think he probably liked some VR and some of Snakepit, but I somehow doubt he has ever wished to himself that "Bad Rain" or "Shots Fired" were his songs.

FYI - Yes,  I know he rejected early forms of songs that appeared on Snakepit and VR albums, but I think time and the finished products may have changed his mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Pretty much this.  I think he probably liked some VR and some of Snakepit, but I somehow doubt he has ever wished to himself that "Bad Rain" or "Shots Fired" were his songs.

FYI - Yes,  I know he rejected early forms of songs that appeared on Snakepit and VR albums, but I think time and the finished products may have changed his mind.

Lol

He don't have to like Bad Rain and Shots Fired to like Anastasia and or some other songs

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Lol

He don't have to like Bad Rain and Shots Fired to like Anastasia and or some other songs

Agreed,  and that is fair, I just don't see it.  Who knows? Nobody is inside Axl's head, but based on music he has said he likes and on the kind of music he himself writes, I don't see the SMKC library.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He probably heard elements that were sorely missing from his own band's music. He spent a lot of time and effort replacing Slash but he never succeeded.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, donny said:

in Axls line of work i should imagine he listens to a lot and likes a lot, including SMKC. 

not to sure on the Pigeons of shit metal though :lol:

How I will never forget that concert where I got to witness the Pigeons....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slash's work ethic, productivity, sobriety and professionalism are certainly some of the main reasons that Axl brought him back.

He said himself a few years ago that a reunion with the original 5 would likely never happen, and it would most likely be him, Slash and Duff.  

They are the ones that proved again and again that they can handle a long tour.

He obviously respects their work outside of Guns.  Whether or not he likes it is a different question.  I'd say he probably likes bits and pieces.

I doubt Slash would be back in Guns if he hadn't of toured in 20 years and wasn't sober.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

There was that story about the two girls that came onto the tour bus with Axl in 2010 and said a Slash song came on and someone quickly went to turn it off but Axl got mad and said to leave it on because he likes this one. Then proceeded to talk about Slash all night. 

Probably fake but just as likely real haha 

I read that a few year back too. The song was By The Sword 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt that he's interested in generic and bland by-the-numbers rock, but then again AC/DC are one of his favourite bands so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

When ''Anastasia'' was released he should have thought, ''fuck me, this could have been Guns N' Roses's Locomotive Part 2'', but then he apparently declined the riffs in ''Beggars and Hangers On'' so...

Axl didn’t decline the Snakepit stuff he wanted to develop them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wasted said:

Axl didn’t decline the Snakepit stuff he wanted to develop them. 

"I started hanging out with Matt and recording demos of that stuff just for fun, and Mike Inez from Alice in Chains and Gilby started to come around and play with us. The three of us just got into a groove of jamming and recording every night. We didn't know what it was going to be. At some point I played it for Axl, who took a pronounced disinterest in it." (Slash, Autobiography)

"Well, it's an Axl thing. He just wasn't into what we were doing, so he's kind of rethinking what he wants to do. He just kind of threw a wrench into everything that me, Slash and Matt had worked to. And then Duff came in. Duff and Axl have an idea what the album should be, and the rest of us have another idea." (Gilby, Kerrang, 05/24/94)

 I played Axl a demo with some of my ideas for songs, and all he said was: "I don't feel like playing this kind of music." (Slash, 'Rock Hard' Magazine, 03/00)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

"I started hanging out with Matt and recording demos of that stuff just for fun, and Mike Inez from Alice in Chains and Gilby started to come around and play with us. The three of us just got into a groove of jamming and recording every night. We didn't know what it was going to be. At some point I played it for Axl, who took a pronounced disinterest in it." (Slash, Autobiography)

"Well, it's an Axl thing. He just wasn't into what we were doing, so he's kind of rethinking what he wants to do. He just kind of threw a wrench into everything that me, Slash and Matt had worked to. And then Duff came in. Duff and Axl have an idea what the album should be, and the rest of us have another idea." (Gilby, Kerrang, 05/24/94)

 I played Axl a demo with some of my ideas for songs, and all he said was: "I don't feel like playing this kind of music." (Slash, 'Rock Hard' Magazine, 03/00)

 

The last part of the second quote hints at what both Axl and Duff said, they just wanted to develop it. Slash even says Axl called wanting to use 4 songs and he told him it was already finished and ready to release. Axl said it was impossible to finish a record in 2 weeks etc. Slash said  well I can. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

I doubt that he's interested in generic and bland by-the-numbers rock, but then again AC/DC are one of his favourite bands so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Axl said at China Exchange he doesnt want to just sing over Slash tracks like he did on UYI. He wants to work from vocal melodies like they did for AFD. So...

but I think a quick Rock or Bust like record might be fun? Why work so hard! Let Slash and Duff do the music then Axl sings over it. Keep it fun!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, wasted said:

The last part of the second quote hints at what both Axl and Duff said, they just wanted to develop it. Slash even says Axl called wanting to use 4 songs and he told him it was already finished and ready to release. Axl said it was impossible to finish a record in 2 weeks etc. Slash said  well I can. 

Duff says in his book that Axl thought it was too southern rock and not Guns material.  Duff agreed with Axl. Nowhere does anyone say anything about developing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, newusedillusion said:

Duff says in his book that Axl thought it was too southern rock and not Guns material.  Duff agreed with Axl. Nowhere does anyone say anything about developing it.

Axl did, Slash even said Axl wanted a few songs but it was too late. That’s what both Slash and Axl said. 

There was also this dynamic where Slash rejected working on Stephanie seymour ballads, Axl/Duff rejected Snakepit as it was as Slash wanted Snakepit to be Guns as he said. 

Do we really have to through this again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering slash probably spent the better part of a year touring the first snakepit release it should have given axl plenty of time alone to think about what sort of guns album he wanted the record to sound like.  What would axl been doing all of this time as if to say "dont know what the fuck i want".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wasted said:

Axl did, Slash even said Axl wanted a few songs but it was too late. That’s what both Slash and Axl said. 

There was also this dynamic where Slash rejected working on Stephanie seymour ballads, Axl/Duff rejected Snakepit as it was as Slash wanted Snakepit to be Guns as he said. 

Do we really have to through this again?

Yes, Axl did... much later after it went to his side project. Which is where the problem lies. Not that it was rejected. Not that Slash now had a side project (Duff had one as well even prior to this), but that it was rejected then Axl changed his mind and wanted it back.

Slash's rejecting Axl's ballads is irrelevant. Axl is allowed to disagree and so is Slash. Axl didn't want the Slashpit stuff, then changed his mind and got cranky when Slash wouldn't bring it back.

 

y/n/m?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×