Do you think Axl likes SMKC's music?

Just now, Sydney Fan said:

Considering slash probably spent the better part of a year touring the first snakepit release it should have given axl plenty of time alone to think about what sort of guns album he wanted the record to sound like.  What would axl been doing all of this time as if to say "dont know what the fuck i want".

Slash had the fall to pieces ideas that he hoarded according to axl. sounded like he was excited about it and wanted it to become guns material. also after uyi it seemed slash didn't want to go through another long process of working on an album. axl said appetite was "worked on and worked on" something like that. every guns lp of original material was worked on for years.

2 hours ago, newusedillusion said:

Yes, Axl did... much later after it went to his side project. Which is where the problem lies. Not that it was rejected. Not that Slash now had a side project (Duff had one as well even prior to this), but that it was rejected then Axl changed his mind and wanted it back.

Slash's rejecting Axl's ballads is irrelevant. Axl is allowed to disagree and so is Slash. Axl didn't want the Slashpit stuff, then changed his mind and got cranky when Slash wouldn't bring it back.

y/n/m?

Yes. Not that I know, just from sources. The idea of snakepit as Guns was rejected. 

But to present it as Axl the bad guy rejected them solely and that he didn’t actually want to use some of the songs isn’t true. In fact, as well as Duff, Zutaut and Niven have both said Snakepit was never happening as GNR. It wasn’t Axl ruining GNR by rejecting Snakepit. It wasn’t that simple. And to only cherry pick the Slash quotes that suit this narrative is misleading, disingenuous, conjecture, I’m out of order, you’re out of order! Gentlemen, in my chambers now!

And we basically know no GNR was ever done with just Slash writing the music on his own. So what he was suggesting was basically begging to quit or cause trouble. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

There was that story about the two girls that came onto the tour bus with Axl in 2010 and said a Slash song came on and someone quickly went to turn it off but Axl got mad and said to leave it on because he likes this one. Then proceeded to talk about Slash all night. 

Probably fake but just as likely real haha 

9 hours ago, Gold top 78 said:

I read that a few year back too. The song was By The Sword 

Anyone have a link about this? I'd like to know more. 

It would have been more interesting, of course, if the song was Starlight or Back From Cali, since Myles went on to be Slash's singer. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Axl wasn't a fan of Myles, but I doubt he'd be as negative about it as most people on this site. He'd probably agree that Myles seems like a nice guy even if he didn't like his voice. 

Slash probably knows Axl's opinion on Myles. I'm sure the topic has come up at least once, even briefly, at some point over the past couple years. If Axl ever did interviews then maybe the rest of us could know what he thinks about Myles and SMKC. 

37 minutes ago, MidnightToker said:

It would have been more interesting, of course, if the song was Starlight or Back From Cali, since Myles went on to be Slash's singer. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Axl wasn't a fan of Myles, but I doubt he'd be as negative about it as most people on this site. He'd probably agree that Myles seems like a nice guy even if he didn't like his voice. 

Slash probably knows Axl's opinion on Myles. I'm sure the topic has come up at least once, even briefly, at some point over the past couple years. If Axl ever did interviews then maybe the rest of us could know what he thinks about Myles and SMKC. 

I wouldn’t know where to look for a link hopefully someone can help out. It would be interesting to know if there has been discussions between Axl and Slash about SKMC and Myles. As for Axl liking some SKMC songs there’s  always some riffs and parts of solos that are the same as some GNR songs that Slash uses so I’m sure there’s a few songs Axl will like. 

20 hours ago, moreblack said:

He probably heard elements that were sorely missing from his own band's music. He spent a lot of time and effort replacing Slash but he never succeeded.

I don't think that is as big of a secret as some people seem to think.  I know of at least one interview where Axl said he needed Slash in order to make a proper GnR record (I think it was for MTV, and Kurt Loder asks him "What's holding back a new GnR record?")

The one thing that makes me remain hopeful that we will see new music is that Both Axl and Slash spent their entire time apart looking for a clone of the other.  Hopefully their knowledge that they need each other isn't subconscious, and they take advantage of this time. 

On 8/19/2018 at 10:47 AM, Jw224 said:

I don't find much Slash has done since gnr to be all that inspiring, especially recently. I don't think Axl really cares tbh. 

I have never really cared for Slash's solo/Velvet Revolver work. Never cared for Duff's either. Izzy's stuff wasn't too bad, though I'll admit it's a small sampling of his music that I've heard, from the first Ju Ju Hounds record, to 117 Degrees.

Slash's guitar playing is really crisp now, but when it comes to the two songs I've heard off his new record, his solos are kind of just all over the place. Reminds me of C.C. Deville in Poison--just a whole lot of frenetic shredding on solos, without leaving anything very memorable.

Does Axl care for Slash's solo work? Not likely, but I think he respects Slash's passion to keep making new music. He understands Slash is a road warrior.

7 hours ago, MidnightToker said:

I distinctly remember an interview where Slash mentioned there being a song on the first solo album he considered calling Axl and asking him to sing. Id like to know which song that was.

30 minutes ago, JustRnR said:

I distinctly remember an interview where Slash mentioned there being a song on the first solo album he considered calling Axl and asking him to sing. Id like to know which song that was.

I've always reckoned it was Watch This, since that was released as an instrumental.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

World On Fire is better than Chinese Democracy but Chinese is better than Apocalyptic Love. Slash is better than all three. 

Better alone beats the entire post-Guns Slash catalogue. Except for maybe Serial Killer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I don't think that is as big of a secret as some people seem to think.  I know of at least one interview where Axl said he needed Slash in order to make a proper GnR record (I think it was for MTV, and Kurt Loder asks him "What's holding back a new GnR record?")

The one thing that makes me remain hopeful that we will see new music is that Both Axl and Slash spent their entire time apart looking for a clone of the other.  Hopefully their knowledge that they need each other isn't subconscious, and they take advantage of this time. 

Not that hopeful myself. It's pretty telling, that the first thing Slash did when he had free time between tour legs, was go back to Myles, Todd & Co. to finish the album they put on hold for the GNR tour in the first place.

Just now, moreblack said:

Not that hopeful myself. It's pretty telling, that the first thing Slash did when he had free time between tour legs, was go back to Myles, Todd & Co. to finish the album they put on hold for the GNR tour in the first place.

from what we know of axl, he likes to do one thing at time. the tour is not over yet. remains to be seen really.

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

from what we know of axl, he likes to do one thing at time. the tour is not over yet. remains to be seen really.

I could see Axl just compiling a "best of" as far as ideas from all the ppl he's worked with thru the years, and bringing various ppl to play on it, also this would take years and years to complete.

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Better alone beats the entire post-Guns Slash catalogue. Except for maybe Serial Killer.

I'll never get behind the hype that Better gets. CD is a great album but for me, better is one of the weakest songs of it, plus axl murders it live... It's a nice hard rock number with some deep lyrics, but for me TWAT, CITR, Prostitute are way better and so damn underrated even by the band themselves it seems

• Like 1