Monsters of rock. 30 years today.

"Don't fuckin' kill each other" A. Rose

must be one of the most memorable days in GNR history. largely for the wrong reasons. 

2 men died that day. Alan Dick 18yrs and Landon Peter Shooray for tolerance!s 20yrs. 

part of the PA system collapsed in the wet mud and was held up by a small forklift.

some of the footage was used in the "Paradise city" video.

with 107,000 in attendance in was probably GNRs biggest audience to date.

the band got to fly on Concorde that day.

full audio here of the set including Slash n Ax trying to stop the crowd from pushing forward and crushing more people.

there is also video footage of Adler jumping off his stool to stop Slash from playing until the "crushed" people at the front got help. (Adler=life saver that day).

30 years later. Ax, Duff and slash are sharing this very same stage again for the first time at donington for download 2018 and Axl screams "do you know where the fuck you are download ?, your in donington baby, time to die". was that right or wrong ?

excellent website here with a lot of info and photo's all dedicated to those that died.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/donington-1988-vftmud.html

• Like 1

A great Tragedy, I, nor most, could imagine going to a concert and not returning home.

About the 2018 thing, Axl would not have thought twice about this when saying those lines. They are standard intro lines for the song live, it doesnt mean he wouldnt respect what happened though. I just dont think the events of that day would have crossed his or the bands minds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donny said:

30 years later. Ax, Duff and slash are sharing this very same stage again for the first time at donington for download 2018 and Axl screams "do you know where the fuck you are download ?, your in donington baby, time to die". was that right or wrong ?

oh shit he did that?

19 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Where? I'd like to see it.

look at the 0.30 second mark near start of video. Adler runs forward and stops Slash from playing. iv'e never saw a drummer jump off his stool like that before to stop play. this was just after a big commotion about people being crushed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M125PLevphk

• Like 1

It was neither, its just a part of a song that he does like any other, there are umpteen GnR songs with references to death, they'd have to rewrite their entire discography.  Why not change the lyrics to Its So Easy for all the young ladies that have been sexually assaulted in crowded gigs.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, AxlIsGod. said:

A great Tragedy, I, nor most, could imagine going to a concert and not returning home.

About the 2018 thing, Axl would not have thought twice about this when saying those lines. They are standard intro lines for the song live, it doesnt mean he wouldnt respect what happened though. I just dont think the events of that day would have crossed his or the bands minds.

I see your point to an extent, but at the same time I would hope the band certain remembers the time that some fans were killed at one of their shows. 

I'm not offended or outraged by any stretch, but yeah, I definitely think could've changed the intro for that particular performance. 

• Like 1

I think they most certainly would have been thinking about the deaths 30 years ago. Slash says in his book how deflated and depressed they felt when they learned about that happening, after the gig.

The "time to die" lyric is a bit of a faux pas but maybe omitting it would have caused all sorts of speculation from the press, or drawn more attention to the matter than they wanted. Also Axl is not the sort to censor himself (aside from dropping OIAM from the boxset! But that was a fair decision.)

I have always wondered if the reason he included the audio snippet of him addressing the crowd to step back before It's So Easy on Live Era was a sort of reference to Donnington. Like saying "well I tried to stop fans getting hurt." The clip isn't from Donnington I know but maybe it's a discrete nod to it, I think it affected the band a lot more than they let on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

I think they most certainly would have been thinking about the deaths 30 years ago. Slash says in his book how deflated and depressed they felt when they learned about that happening, after the gig.

The "time to die" lyric is a bit of a faux pas but maybe omitting it would have caused all sorts of speculation from the press, or drawn more attention to the matter than they wanted. Also Axl is not the sort to censor himself (aside from dropping OIAM from the boxset! But that was a fair decision.)

I have always wondered if the reason he included the audio snippet of him addressing the crowd to step back before It's So Easy on Live Era was a sort of reference to Donnington. Like saying "well I tried to stop fans getting hurt." The clip isn't from Donnington I know but maybe it's a discrete nod to it, I think it affected the band a lot more than they let on.

not omitting anything and saying "do you know where the fuck you are ? you're in the jungle baby, time to die" would have been fine. thats just the standard intro.

changing it to "you're at donington, time to die" was bad taste in my opinion. i guess controversy is just a part of the bands image though. 

• Like 1

Kinda surprised, too, he'd say that. When I saw them in Orlando in 2016 the Pulse nightclub shooting had just recently happened (50+ people were killed). They left out the gun logo shooting in the intro and put up a tribute to the victims instead. Granted it was 1 month difference vs 30 years. 

1 hour ago, donny said:

not omitting anything and saying "do you know where the fuck you are ? you're in the jungle baby, time to die" would have been fine. thats just the standard intro.

changing it to "you're at donington, time to die" was bad taste in my opinion. i guess controversy is just a part of the bands image though. 

Youre over thinking it so much. Its not like he doesnt say other cities or places either, he just does it sporadically. He most likely said it due to the significance of the location and the festival itself.