Slash - "I have several song ideas for new Guns material" source: Sweden Rock Magazine

betterman

56 minutes ago, RONIN said:

The well is truly exhausted with Saul. Ditto with Axl. I don't think they have anything left in the tank and I hope to god they don't start an album from scratch just because people are clamoring for new music. We don't need another TSI or another uninspired Slash album w/ Axl vocals.

The question is, how much of the mid-90's "prime era" material written for GnR has been recycled by Slash for his glut of albums? How much of the Izzy material they had in the 90's was repurposed for his run of solo albums? What unused material is actually left in the vault from the 90's? And I'm even including Axl's briefly productive period from '99-00 when most of the chinese demos were created - the final gasps of creativity from the redhead.

There is a "lost" GnR album from 1995/1996 that is buried in the vault. That's the last real GnR material imho and the only stuff that stands a chance of living up to the previous albums. 

When was the last uninspired Slash album released? Serious question.

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

When was the last uninspired Slash album released? Serious question.

I haven't liked any of his albums since "It's 5 o clock somewhere". And even that one, I only dug about half of it. 

To be fair though, I'm not really into the solo material of any of these guys.:shrugs:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I haven't liked any of his albums since "It's 5 o clock somewhere". And even that one, I only dug about half of it. 

To be fair though, I'm not really into the solo material of any of these guys.:shrugs:

I liked a good bit of Duff's band Loaded. The solo Albums from Tommy, Izzy and Bucket are great too.

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

The well is truly exhausted with Saul. Ditto with Axl. I don't think they have anything left in the tank and I hope to god they don't start an album from scratch just because people are clamoring for new music. We don't need another TSI or another uninspired Slash album w/ Axl vocals.

The question is, how much of the mid-90's "prime era" material written for GnR has been recycled by Slash for his glut of albums? How much of the Izzy material they had in the 90's was repurposed for his run of solo albums? What unused material is actually left in the vault from the 90's? And I'm even including Axl's briefly productive period from '99-00 when most of the chinese demos were created - the final gasps of creativity from the redhead.

There is a "lost" GnR album from 1995/1996 that is buried in the vault. That's the last real GnR material imho and the only stuff that stands a chance of living up to the previous albums. 

"That's the last real GnR material imho and the only stuff that stands a chance of living up to the previous albums. "

^^^^^^ this is the only recordings the band should work on and release.

18 minutes ago, Nintari said:

I have my doubts that a new Guns record will be great without Izzy helping. He is and always will be the backbone of their sound. Without him, it just won't sound right. Hopefully, even if he won't tour, he'll at least lend his talents in the studio.

Im hoping he can be brought in for ideas. Would like to know what sort sound he brought in whe  VR first came in.

3 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I think it’s more a matter of getting them all in a room together (including Izzy) and great music will happen.

i have no doubt that anything they release will be ok but not without Izzy.

If they couldnt make the price right for Izzy on tour in 2016-18 then there is no chance in hell of getting Izzy in for making a new album with them. Albums are only used to promote tours now and I don't see the management team having such foresight to actually understand that creating a great new album (with original guys) would help generate more tickets sales for another world tour and ultimately prove to be a financial success in the long run.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

If they couldnt make the price right for Izzy on tour in 2016-18 then there is no chance in hell of getting Izzy in for making a new album with them. Albums are only used to promote tours now and I don't see the management team having such foresight to actually understand that creating a great new album (with original guys) would help generate more tickets sales for another world tour and ultimately prove to be a financial success in the long run.

There is some money to be made from releasing music.  Certainly not as much as the Vinyl-CD era but hit singles generate a decent amount of revenue.  The artists make more from touring now.  If Izzy has writing credits, he'll get paid royalties when the songs get performed live without him.

1 minute ago, Gnrcane said:

There is some money to be made from releasing music.  Certainly not as much as the Vinyl-CD era but hit singles generate a decent amount of revenue.  The artists make more from touring now.  If Izzy has writing credits, he'll get paid royalties when the songs get performed live without him.

Is there really though? Would love to see how much a big artist actually gets from streaming these days. Sure they will get big money if it has a hit single but not sure the 'album' would generate a large amount.

Highlighted above, I have never heard this before - can anyone else verify this to be true?

7 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Is there really though? Would love to see how much a big artist actually gets from streaming these days. Sure they will get big money if it has a hit single but not sure the 'album' would generate a large amount.

Highlighted above, I have never heard this before - can anyone else verify this to be true?

Somebody else can verify but songwriters get paid royalties when their songs are performed live.  The performer is using a song somebody wrote to generate revenue.

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

No Izzy Stradlin' to write and arrange their stuff. 

Actually, it was Axl and Slash who turned Izzy's simple scratch rhythms and structures into great songs.

"Axl could always take a simple Izzy melody and turn it into something fantastic."

"Izzy and Axl had such great chemistry because Axl knew how to transform one of Izzy's simple structures into a perfect, well-rounded, melodically and lyrically rich song."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RONIN said:

To me all his solo albums are very inspired. At least his work on guitar. I thought on WOF he was really on fire. His solo album was very well written and Apocalyptic Love has Anastasia and Halo on it. 

I'm not the biggest fan of the two new singles simply because they sound a lot like WOF songs and because of Myles' vocals. 

But I won't jugde a whole album just because I heard two songs.

• GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Nah, wait and listen to the album. I guarantee that there's going to be a few hard edged rock songs, in the vein of Too far gone, You're a lie, Avalon etc.

Hey, instrumentally I love the Slash and the Conspirators (yeah, I took MK on off purpose) and I know theres great stuff on the albums, but it is a simplistic approach on what Slash used to do, it doesnt have much personality or a characteristic of its own and because of that, Its easier to listen and hit casuals. 

Edited by default_

I guess it could be quite difficult to find inspiration for them, as individuals and as a band. They are quite old now, they are rich. Like Wasted said, all the battles are over. Where do we go now? 

Just putting Axl on top of some unispired random riffs won't cut it and I don't think Axl would do it this way. 

They have to get Izzy on board, but even if that happens, could there be the needed chemistry? 

9 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

If the attitude is "we'll see what happens" with the band then fuck it don't bother. 

"Looking very seriously in that regard" led to roughly 7 years of absolutely nothing from the band. So yeah, I have to agree. Being downgraded to "we'll see what happens" somehow gives less hope than I had before, which was none. 

Don't act like Slash and Axl weren't able to make a record on their own. It's not automatically just Axl on top of a Slash riff. It's Axl, Slash and Duff together in the studio and I think that alone is very inspiring even for those old dudes.

You may be sure that the three of them can come up with a well structured record. 

You just have to look at NR, Estranged, Coma and Locomotive, then add Duff to that combo and you've got songs like Civil War and Don't Damn Me. I don't think that is a bad songwriting team

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

Actually, it was Axl and Slash who turned Izzy's simple scratch rhythms and structures into great songs.

I think Axl, Slash and Duff could put out a good album. Sure, it would be great to get Izzy back since I do think his more bluesy style helps to round out other elements, but he's not the lynch pin to me. I think it was all of them together with Slash and Izzy being more idea guys and Axl and Duff being more structure guys.

But you never know, of course. Aside from age and distance, these guys are all sober now unlike when all the AFD/UYI stuff was written.

8 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

GNR - "We need you in the studio Izzy!"

Izzy - "I'll do it but I don't want to be responsible for recording costs and I want 100% of the profits."

GNR fans - "They fucked Izzy!"

Edited by Modano09
  • Like 1

On 20/08/2018 at 11:00 AM, Edward Nigma said:

Are the song ideas better than his solo material and conspirators material? Because they have to be a step above to qualify for Guns material.

Not really, check Scraped and Sorry out

• Like 1