Slash interview Classic Rock magazine

1 minute ago, Gnrcane said:

Legally it depends on the organization. I believe that an LLC has to have at least 2 partners but a corporation can be just one. So if it was Axl, Inc. then it could be just him but Axl, LLC would have to have Beta or somebody with at least a small share.

Thanks. But the "Axl, Inc" would be called legally a partnership? It's a contradictio in terminis, since "partner" means that there's at least one more.

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks. But the "Axl, Inc" would be called legally a partnership? It's a contradictio in terminis, since "partner" means that there's at least one more.

True. I guess Axl, Inc. would be a corporation with one shareholder but Axl the person would be isolated and legally protected. An LLC or LP needs more than one shareholder for legal protection. I have no idea if the original Guns n' Roses entity was a corporation, LLC (limited liability company) or LP (limited partnership). It could have been any of them.

It is highly unlikely that Axl would have created a new entity that had more than just him as a shareholder.

18 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

True. I guess Axl, Inc. would be a corporation with one shareholder but Axl the person would be isolated and legally protected. An LLC or LP needs more than one shareholder for legal protection. I have no idea if the original Guns n' Roses entity was a corporation, LLC (limited liability company) or LP (limited partnership). It could have been any of them.

It is highly unlikely that Axl would have created a new entity that had more than just him as a shareholder.

From what I've read, the original GnR was (rather is, because it never ceased to exist) an Inc. There was a Guns N' Roses, Inc formed in 1988 and dissolved in 1994:

https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/CBS/Detail

I guess the dissolution was a legality related to the settlement of the Adler lawsuit, and then they formed another Inc.

Edited by Blackstar

If Slash hadn’t talked about an endless cycle of albums and touring for GNR, I’d have been more excited about the prospect of this not being about him creating headlines to draw attention to his new album.

Let’s aim for a more realistic one new GNR demo recorded before the band disintegrates again, bleatedly released on its own in a box for £10,000 in 2048.

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

There wasn't 'employee isues' during the UYI tour. That was later when Axl quit the band and founded another one

Imo this is questionable:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/220518-article-about-izzyguns-on-the-wall-street-journal/?do=findComment&comment=4573390

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/220518-article-about-izzyguns-on-the-wall-street-journal/?do=findComment&comment=4573815

On 8/21/2018 at 11:11 PM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Slash "reworking" Robin and Bucket's beautiful works with his bland, generic rock and roll would be a crime against humanity.

Slash reworking Robin's parts would be fine by me.

• Like 1

On 23.8.2018 at 2:51 AM, Blackstar said:

Although indeed Doug couldn't make Axl show up late, I could see him sucking up to Axl telling him "don't worry, go on stage when you feel ready, it's your health that matters" etc. and then going to Slash/Duff and going along with whatever they were saying.[...]

This kind of makes me think of Better:

No one ever told me when I was alone
They just thought I'd know better, better."
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wasted said:

So they just go back to CD II and have Slash replace Brian and Bucket’s solos? 

It's the way Axl operated in the past, I don't know that that's changed. Slash seems to be into the material saying Axl got some great stuff already recorded, plus that whole 2001 thing where Axl wanted Slash to apologize and play on a few tunes. he replaced Robin solos with May's, then just added Bumble and he said he played on 30 tracks. Also  rerecorded Josh's parts with Brain and Frank.

There's probably enough to work with, shit that's already done. why rerecord everything when you can use a lot of it and build on top of that? to make it more guns? they can do that by just adding Slash leads, replacing the Bucket and Robin solos and just rerecord the vocals to maybe sound less clean and hella raspy to make some fans accept it.

some of it could be brand new, a few newly written lyrics, a few originating from new Slash riffs but to me it seems Slash and Duff rejoining Axl's version of guns doesn't mean he will suddenly change his entire musical direction and just rerecord everything. I don't know what type of album Axl wants to make currently, but I can see a scenario where he'll just incorporate what Slash can do into his own musical vision. he still enjoys to sing the chinese material live the best and those chinese tunes seem to work well with Slash just playing lead. Axl also said the cd 2 material is similar to chinese so I can see it working out.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Wagszilla said:

giphy.gif

big-red-nope-button.gif

Personally, I don't want them to replace Bucket and Robin solos or make it all raspy. It's just what I think might happen, is all. It's Slash after all. Also, Axl mentioned how fans didn't really like the clean approach. seems to care to a certain extent about reception. 

we might be getting a true hybrid of an album, with a lot of the unreleased Axl tunes making it, but with none of the lead work of past guitarists which is understandable but also sad. I wanted to hear that SRV Robin solo. 

Edited by Rovim

27 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I don't disagree.

I just think it's a fool's errand. 

If you pull a tooth, you make a replacement tooth as perfect as possible. But it still has distinct parameters.

Form follows function. You make a change, it will likely change the character of the thing.

The This I Love remix is cancer. Rasp up these songs it's going to sound like garbage. Might be able to get away with Slash solos though.

But if a new album is released, it's CD2. It's not 5 guys in a room. It's not Guns. It's Axl's solo band.

So don't try to put Appetite lipstick on a pig. It won't work. 

But you might spoil the bacon. 

The rasp thing... I think it works for some tunes, but I see it as just one thing Axl can do with his voice, clean vocals can sometimes be more effective. This I Love remix is not really a good example imo cause it's so over the top it's pretty hard to listen to. I feel like some tunes on cd could have been better with raspier vocals. it's like orange juice with some pulp, I.R.S with rasp sounds better to me but madagascar and street of dreams perhaps clean was better. (even if the intention with maddy was the old man and the sea thing) can't really see catcher with rasp, etc.

Potential changes might alter the character of it, but we will probably never know cause we don't have anything to compare it to. It's Slash and his sound was an organic part of the band's sound, so it could be seamless in some cases. like Bumble's Shackler's solo. it fits the song, or his chinese democracy rhythm guitar. but it will become something else. it could still work though. I think if you're gonna record over it, might as well use Slash. Axl likes to musically represent current line ups on studio albums. he must use Slash now in the next Guns album if there is one in some capacity. He could use Slash partially in some tunes which just means not rerecording everything from scratch.

Axl knows how to assemble the musical puzzle, so if they do it well it won't sound disconnected. Kinda reverse engineer some of it which comes with it's own set of issues.

Edited by Rovim

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

It's the way Axl operated in the past, I don't know that that's changed. Slash seems to be into the material saying Axl got some great stuff already recorded, plus that whole 2001 thing where Axl wanted Slash to apologize and play on a few tunes. he replaced Robin solos with May's, then just added Bumble and he said he played on 30 tracks. Also  rerecorded Josh's parts with Brain and Frank.

There's probably enough to work with, shit that's already done. why rerecord everything when you can use a lot of it and build on top of that? to make it more guns? they can do that by just adding Slash leads, replacing the Bucket and Robin solos and just rerecord the vocals to maybe sound less clean and hella raspy to make some fans accept it.

some of it could be brand new, a few newly written lyrics, a few originating from new Slash riffs but to me it seems Slash and Duff rejoining Axl's version of guns doesn't mean he will suddenly change his entire musical direction and just rerecord everything. I don't know what type of album Axl wants to make currently, but I can see a scenario where he'll just incorporate what Slash can do into his own musical vision. he still enjoys to sing the chinese material live the best and those chinese tunes seem to work well with Slash just playing lead. Axl also said the cd 2 material is similar to chinese so I can see it working out.

I could see that happening to varying degrees. There might be something that Slash and Duff and the band rework completely. In a way that is how a lot of old GNR stuff was done. Slash reworked It’s So Easy I think. 

And some that Axl just wants a solo or part for. If there are big orchestra tracks I can’t see a way for Slash to take them apart, he might just add what’s needed. 

I guess if there’s vocals some might be used. 

I do find it unlikely that they will throw away all the songs and writers work to do just Slash written album like Conspirators. Guns always had different writers and players contributing, so you get that multidimensional feel to it. 

But that still presents the problem of cohesion. I don’t know if that was a legit complaint against CD. I feel like the first 7 tracks are pretty smooth. Scraped sort of comes outta nowhere but then Riad is back in line. Sorry sounds like a different clearer, warmer sound. IRS is back to side one. Scraped, Sorry, TIL just don’t sound the same. 

But I’m fine with that. But once you bring back the hard rock guys, do you have Slash rework Chi dem and Better, but he does something more hard rock instead of Shacklers. He adds a solo to SOD, but then instead of ITW they pull out an Izzy song or Fortus track. Then Slash rocks out TWAT and adds a solo to Catcher. 

Maybe Slash has accepted his roll in GNR, and sees it more as collaboration and might get a few on there working with Axl like Civil War, Coma but could also get his riffs and rework bare bones ideas tracks. There’s more material than just CD II so it would just be that. 

Axl seemed to want to write more like AFD again, so if he has vocal melodies Slash can jump in. If there’s a song from the mid 90s with an Illusion feel that could come in. Jackie Chan maybe. 

So I could see AFD sounding ones, UYI type material and CD era stuff all going into a self titled album. There might be a little mixtape quality to it production wise, New Slash rockers and more experimental epic stuff. 

The first 4 tracks Slash, Duff new matetial, kick the door in. Then you get stuff like Civil War/Coma. 

Then side 2 Fortus, Duff songs, Slash reworking CD era stuff, adding solos to CD era orchestra epics. I’m kind of hoping for 1 twenty minute epic from Axl and Slash at the end of the album. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

But if a new album is released, it's CD2. It's not 5 guys in a room. It's not Guns. It's Axl's solo band.

So don't try to put Appetite lipstick on a pig. It won't work. 

Honestly, if they ever release a new album we'll probably never know wether it is CD2 or brand new tunes if they dont say anything. So how in hell will us know if it sounded any better before Slash and Duff? Even if they say they are CD2 songs, how would we know they were in fact better before?