Are Slash & Duff = To Frank, Fortus & Dizzy?

Realistically speaking, Slash and Duff have more leverage and are therefore of a higher status than Frank and Richard. However, Frank and Richard have been in the band for a long time, and i really wouldn't be surprised if Axl considers them as equal band members. 

On new music, i think people exaggerate Axl's motivations. Sure, Axl was the boss, and still leads to some extent; but since CD, many things have happened, both in and out of his control. I am skeptical that we would have an album by now had the reunion not occurred, but i also think it would be silly to believe that the reunion itself did not alter plans the band may have had for material.

15 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

The former will likely carry questions from the record company about market viability and I would expect some general unreasonableness from Axl regarding promotion and whatnot. 

The latter would require the record company to bankroll it and Gn'R would be a risky business proposition. 

But we're talking about a band that's been filling stadiums across the globe for the past 2.5 years. I'm sure the record company noticed. It was a different time and context, but they financed CD even tough all familiar faces and talents had jumped ship, I'm sure they'd consider investing in this lineup. And there's a lot the band can do by themselves, or that is allegedly already in the can.

Edited by NicoRourke
Typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

As fans, we always complain that the band never communicate with us.  They don't do interviews etc.  

This is exactly why they don't do interviews though.  There is nothing positive to be gained.

If you read between the lines, Slash has practically confirmed that they are planning to work on a new album, release it and tour it. 

He only stops just short of 100% confirming it as they are not ready to announce anything.

Of course that has more merit than when Richard said he'd love to play on a classic album and it would be stupid not to do one.  

Slash has been in this business for over 30 years,  He knows how the media and fan bases work.  He would thread way more carefully if he thought there wasn't much hope of this happening.

Wait......I'm the one misrepresenting what Slash said? I didn't even quote what Slash said, I just said that it doesn't mean more to me than when Richard has said something similar since 2002 and then I asked what everyone else thought. I'm not sure how that's misrepresenting what he said at all. Then to top it off, you're the one saying things like "if you read between the lines" and "just short of 100% confirming it"

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

Sorry I had to laugh at this post. It's a strange question to ask because Russ is interpreting what Slash said his way and not what Slash actually said. As a previous poster on this thread stated, this is exactly why GNR does not give interviews. People tend to misinterpret words due  to their own frame of reference/perception. 

Rather than reading too much into things, sometimes it's best just to take it face value, especially since Slash is a household name and was there since AFD.

I'm not interpreting anything though. I didn't even quote Slash. I just said that *I* take what he said in the same way that I took Fortus saying it since 2002. Then I asked for everyone else's opininons and everyone is expressing their opinions. I still don't see what's so strange about that.

I think the issue here is that I have been more of a Slash fan than a Guns fan over the past 20 years. 

When Slash says something, he does it. 

So I believe him when he says they're going to work on music. 

It doesn't guarantee it will happen. But I know he's not just making stuff up. 

Nu Guns on the other hand, I've seen many interviews were they seem to be completely out of the loop, vague and half heartedly mentioning that there is material there.

Personally, I just believe Slash and I think a new album will be worked on soon. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I think the issue here is that I have been more of a Slash fan than a Guns fan over the past 20 years. 

Nu Guns on the other hand, I've seen many interviews were they seem to be completely out of the loop, vague and half heartedly mentioning that there is material there.

Personally, I just believe Slash and I think a new album will be worked on soon. 

Ok, right on. Like I said, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that stance. As I posted in another thread; I'm truly happy for those who are putting stock into this and are hopeful. I honestly wish I could still be that way. This band has just beaten me down to a "I'll believe it when I see/hear it" stance, and that includes Slash at this point.

I didn't think about the point you mentioned about when Slash says something, he does it. That's a good point and actually helps me see it in a slightly different light.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Melissa Reese is the most powerful member of GNR. I'm still waiting for a release hint from her.

I think that Melissa not inclusion in this thread is a patriarchal sign .........imagine the reaction of feminist movement:lol:

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I don't think there IS a band dynamic if that makes sense. I'm not sure I understand the last question. The only answer I can give is: Yes, if a new GN'R album ever comes out, I think Frank will be the drummer for it and I think Slash will put his name on it without question.

I suppose it's the last point that I have the hardest time grasping.

All the drama over the last 20 plus years - the in fighting and struggle with rotating band members and Slash's penchant for being "particular" with band-mates over the years (plus his most recent comment)... it seems so odd that he'd willingly lay down a Guns album with guys he might not even care to play with.

I guess that point just sticks with me.

Not sure how this is even a question. 

Everyone, including Axl, knows that Slash & Duff mean more to the band's success than the rest.  They were playing 5k seat venues in Vegas before Slash & Duff came back...now they are selling out 80k seat stadiums and have all doubled or tripled their net worth. 

So logic would dictate that Slash & Duff would have "more say" than the rest when it comes to new music.....and Axl knows that.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

100% agree. Slash is always open and honest when talking about making new music and an album always comes out of it at one point. I think the new SKMC album is proof of how Slash works. I think an album will be started at one point but probably not till around middle of next year if the time is there. 

Edited by Gold top 78
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Melissa Reese is the most powerful member of GNR. I'm still waiting for a release hint from her.

Depends on the way you look at it. If you look for skills, theory and musical habilities over all, she really is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

No, no she isn't. Maybe in theory but not in skills

I cant link it right now but theres some videos of Melissa singing and playing piano on youtube, she doest it perfectly. 

I dont like her hole in GNR either but technically speaking? Shes the most skilled musician this band probably ever had. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Draguns said:

Sorry I had to laugh at this post. It's a strange question to ask because Russ is interpreting what Slash said his way and not what Slash actually said. As a previous poster on this thread stated, this is exactly why GNR does not give interviews. People tend to misinterpret words due  to their own frame of reference/perception. 

Rather than reading too much into things, sometimes it's best just to take it face value, especially since Slash is a household name and was there since AFD.

Ok, what did Russ misquote exactly?

Once again, since a few have come to the  conclusion that Axl, Slash and Duff are all on an even playing field, How much ownership does Slash and Duff have in Guns N Roses? 

And again, Just because Axl may be willing to negotiate In order to keep Slash and Duff In the band doesn't mean they actually have any more say than Fortus or Dizzy. 

42 minutes ago, default_ said:

I cant link it right now but theres some videos of Melissa singing and playing piano on youtube, she doest it perfectly. 

I dont like her hole in GNR either but technically speaking? Shes the most skilled musician this band probably ever had. 

Most of the old crew, save Slash and Steve, sing and play multiple instruments.

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Ok, right on. Like I said, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that stance. As I posted in another thread; I'm truly happy for those who are putting stock into this and are hopeful. I honestly wish I could still be that way. This band has just beaten me down to a "I'll believe it when I see/hear it" stance, and that includes Slash at this point.

I didn't think about the point you mentioned about when Slash says something, he does it. That's a good point and actually helps me see it in a slightly different light.

I totally understand your frustration on Guns 😂 

Hopefully it changes now and we don't end up still speculating on the new album in 6 years 😀

• GNFNR 1

Surely Slash n’ Duff have greater standing and influence w/Axl than Dizzy/Richard/Frank.

Not enough to “get” Axl to do what they want (not sure that person exists anyway)- but I would imagine that their efforts to encourage Axl to consider new music would be more successful (though by no means a quick process)- regardless of their legal status within the band.

As far as the Chinese-era (98-14) goes- I would bet only Tommy (and marginally at that) had the stature to influence/challenge Axl...

• Like 2

The one thing that seems to be a constant over the past 3 years with GnR is that I don't really get the vibe from Slash that GnR is "his" band. There's an aloofness and a "one foot in/one foot out" vibe to his demeanor. 

Maybe there's still an unstable chemistry there despite the fact that they're all fully onboard with the corporate/legacy act shtick. 

I don’t think Slash/Duff are on the same level as Richard/Frank/Dizzy but it’s hard not to think that way when apparently it’s up to Axl if they will ever release or not new music. 

I say apparently because we don’t know what Axl and Duff think about that matter.