Are Slash & Duff = To Frank, Fortus & Dizzy?

Slash said himself he’s in the band in a non contractual way so he’s not a hired hand and I take it the same goes for Duff. The 3 of them seem to be making decisions together with Axl probably having the final say.  That itself to me makes Slash’s comment about new music more believable than any member outside Axl has said from 2001-14. 

Axl seems happier than he’s been for a many years and that can only be a good thing for new music.  I think if Axl felt differently about it then he wouldn’t have played Slash and Duff some songs he had. 

26 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

How is he misquoting him? This is the exact quote he is referring to: "Axl’s got a ton of shit that he got recorded already, so we’re just going to get in there and just start getting into that thing"

How would you interpret that differently? Obviously Slash has his own ideas too that he wants to work on, but I don't see how daniel_ misquoted him? I don't necessarily agree with his conclusion that Slash is just a hired hand, but I don't think he was misquoting Slash.

Not the same as "Axls got a ton of shit and we are looking into working on that" 

Before that, Slash mentioned they all had ideas. And "that thing" refers to the new album in general, not all of Axls material.

The misquote makes it sound like they are only working on Axls stuff. 

as far as I know the name gnr is still axl's property. as such, slash and duff cannot decide on their own what gnr is doing without agreement and support by axl. one might consider them as employes therefore. however I believe in contrast to dizzy, richard, Melissa, and that beatsucker trying to play drums, s&d are partners of gnr on creative terms and probably have a say on whether they are fine with plans of axl (and tb). so they are in a position where they can say 'not that shit with my name on it' or 'only if my girlfriend is allowed to annoy the audience from the side of the stage'. but they are not in a position to decide that gnr is going to release an album soon.

I hope that s&d (and izzy of course) will heavily be involved in future writing processes, not only adding their tracks to an almost finished production

6 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Not the same as "Axls got a ton of shit and we are looking into working on that" 

Before that, Slash mentioned they all had ideas. And "that thing" refers to the new album in general, not all of Axls material.

The misquote makes it sound like they are only working on Axls stuff. 

It's not a misquote though. You can call it selective quoting. But Slash did in fact say pretty much exactly what he claimed that he said. It's just that he said a lot more than just that.

• Like 2

I've of two minds about this myself but it's been cool to read everyone's opinions on it.

Part of me says "It's Slash & Duff, there's no way they could ever be considered equal to Fortus, etc". However, everyone keeps using the term "force" when they say Slash can't get Axl to release new music. 

So for me, that puts them back in the same category as everyone else who's come and gone. 

57 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've of two minds about this myself but it's been cool to read everyone's opinions on it.

Part of me says "It's Slash & Duff, there's no way they could ever be considered equal to Fortus, etc". However, everyone keeps using the term "force" when they say Slash can't get Axl to release new music. 

So for me, that puts them back in the same category as everyone else who's come and gone. 

I can't see Slash and Duff being Equal to anyone else in the band besides Axl. If that was the case, then Slash and Duff would have made Fourtus money on tour and not received 1/3 of the split. Didn't Axl want to release new music but the label wouldn't let him? It's not like the guy absolutely refused to put out new stuff. 

I don't think they would have to force Axl to do anything. If there is chemistry within the band, then it will happen. I highly doubt Axl won't want to put out new music if the songs, band mates, and money is right. If they do release new stuff, I would bet that the money would be split just like concert money is split. 

38 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

Didn't Axl want to release new music but the label wouldn't let him?

I've yet to see any credible source for this. Probably an attempt to make Axl look less responsible for the lack of music but there's NOT ONE SINGLE proof or evidence of this happening.

Edited by edsonandhudson

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

If that's your logic, then hired hands is all they ever were. They couldn't force music to be put out back in the early 90s, either.

We don't know any details of the new partnership. If there was a new album, what would happen if one of them wasn't happy with it like what happened with UYI when Axl wasn't happy with Slash's mix and Slash not happy with Axl's.

I think that Slash and Duff may have more say in terms of GNR than them, however neither - nor anyone on this entire planet apparently - has the power to talk Axl into doing rational tings for a rock band to do like release music, if he doesn't want to lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

This subject came up in one of the many Slash Interview threads and I thought it'd be interesting to start a topic on it:

How do view Slash & Duff with respect to GNR these days? 

I bring this up because I've been saying that Slash making comments about a new GNR album possibly coming sooner than later doesn't really give me much promise. 

To me, it's the same as Dizzy and/or Richard saying the same thing since 2002.

I just don't think Slash & Duff have any more say in it than Richard, Frank or anyone else does. I think it still all comes down to whether or not Axl will release new music. That, in my mind, puts Slash & Duff on equal footing with Richard, Dizzy, Frank and everyone else who's ever been in the band. 

Thoughts? 

It's a good question, but the reunion even happening in the first place is a huge indicator this isn't business as usual.

I think Axl has opened the vault to Slash, and is having him work out the guitar parts to his remaining "big guns" and we will see an album.

No matter what happened in the past, Axl has always needed Slash back, and now he has him.  I think most of the "tyrant Axl rules with an iron fist!" is fan made.  Things are different now, imho, but really only time will tell.

Russ, no disrespect but man you've been have some very  strange posts lately on this forum. With that being said,  Slash and Duff definitely  have more say to a new album than Fortus or Dizzy. After all, Slash did say he was in GNR and not a hired hand. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Draguns said:

Russ, no disrespect but man you've been have some very  strange posts lately on this forum. With that being said,  Slash and Duff definitely  have more say to a new album than Fortus or Dizzy. After all, Slash did say he was in GNR and not a hired hand. 

What is strange about his thread? How much ownership does Slash have in Guns N Roses? Just because Axl may be willing to negotiate In order to keep Slash and Duff In the band doesn't mean they actually have any more say than Fortus or Dizzy. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

What is your sense of the band dynamics? I can't make up or down from it.

At what point - ANY point in the recording process - are Frank and Richard going to be able to tell Slash/Duff what/how to play, or offer any insight into creating new music. I don't see how it would work. The dynamics would not be organic in any sense.

Slash....is going to put his name to a Guns record when the recording drummer is Frank Ferrer?

Spoiler

12lT.gif

I think that we all agree that the ball is in Axl's court. As soon as Axl decided to make a new record, the thing would be done.

The "problem": Does Axl want?. I find very hard to imagine that making a record (and let's not talk about promoting, making publicity, interviews etc.) really motivates Axl... my mind just cannot conceive it, even if we have seen during the tour that the relationship with Slash is going better than expected.

And I think this even if I do believe that do it with Slash/Duff influences more than do it with Tommy/Bumble/Ashba etc.

I said it here: 

3 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I wasn’t really talking about ownership. On the other hand, I have no doubt that the loot gets split adequately, whatever it may be. Even though these guys would never make anything near the shit they’ve made during NITL had they decided to break up again, they could always easily get back to solo stuff, SMKC, Loaded, even renew VR, and all would be fine. In fact, it’s Axl whose existence would be jeopardized, because, as you said, Guns without Slash and Duff once the reunion happened would not attract enough people. 
And no one wants to see characters like Ashba there any more. 
So I believe they are amicable even in terms of money. Nobody needs to accept shit from anyone else. 

7 hours ago, Stoymatic said:

I can't see Slash and Duff being Equal to anyone else in the band besides Axl. If that was the case, then Slash and Duff would have made Fourtus money on tour and not received 1/3 of the split. Didn't Axl want to release new music but the label wouldn't let him? It's not like the guy absolutely refused to put out new stuff. 

I don't think they would have to force Axl to do anything. If there is chemistry within the band, then it will happen. I highly doubt Axl won't want to put out new music if the songs, band mates, and money is right. If they do release new stuff, I would bet that the money would be split just like concert money is split. 

I get what you're saying with respect to the "brand" but I'm talking about the "band". As far as the "brand" goes, they absolutely need at least Slash to play the size venues they're playing. As far as the "band" goes, I think they need for Slash & Duff to get Axl to release some new music.

6 hours ago, edsonandhudson said:

I've yet to see any credible source for this. Probably an attempt to make Axl look less responsible for the lack of music but there's NOT ONE SINGLE proof or evidence of this happening.

Exactly. I don't know how that became fact all of a sudden, but people seem to keep stating it as such without any proof whatsoever.

6 hours ago, newusedillusion said:

If that's your logic, then hired hands is all they ever were. They couldn't force music to be put out back in the early 90s, either.

We don't know any details of the new partnership. If there was a new album, what would happen if one of them wasn't happy with it like what happened with UYI when Axl wasn't happy with Slash's mix and Slash not happy with Axl's.

That's the thing though; in the 90s, they all left because they couldn't agree on and put out new music. So if they're back, just along for the ride, but have backed down on putting out new music, then to me they're in the same boat as Fortus etc.

6 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Until I am proven wrong, it's no different when Slash says it, to when Richard has said it in the past.

That's my overall point.

4 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

It's a good question, but the reunion even happening in the first place is a huge indicator this isn't business as usual.

I think Axl has opened the vault to Slash, and is having him work out the guitar parts to his remaining "big guns" and we will see an album.

No matter what happened in the past, Axl has always needed Slash back, and now he has him.  I think most of the "tyrant Axl rules with an iron fist!" is fan made.  Things are different now, imho, but really only time will tell.

To me, the reunion is just an indicator that everyone (or at least Axl & Slash) needed the money. 

3 hours ago, Draguns said:

Huh? What's strange about posting opinions and asking others for theirs? 

3 hours ago, ironmt said:

What is strange about his thread? How much ownership does Slash have in Guns N Roses? Just because Axl may be willing to negotiate In order to keep Slash and Duff In the band doesn't mean they actually have any more say than Fortus or Dizzy. 

Again, this is my overall point.

2 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

What is your sense of the band dynamics? I can't make up or down from it.

At what point - ANY point in the recording process - are Frank and Richard going to be able to tell Slash/Duff what/how to play, or offer any insight into creating new music. I don't see how it would work. The dynamics would not be organic in any sense.

Slash....is going to put his name to a Guns record when the recording drummer is Frank Ferrer?

Reveal hidden contents

12lT.gif

I don't think there IS a band dynamic if that makes sense. I'm not sure I understand the last question. The only answer I can give is: Yes, if a new GN'R album ever comes out, I think Frank will be the drummer for it and I think Slash will put his name on it without question.

A new album with Slash and Duff on it will sell just fine.

The thing people seem to forget, is that Axl had this phase in which he wanted to release more alternative music. Songs he really liked, but the record company probably thought he was on a suicide mission... because it didn't sound like the classic Guns N Roses at all. And they just delayed the whole thing.

When CD finally did arrive, it sounded relatively radio friendly and was more or less classic sounding. But somehow I don't believe this is what Axl himself envisioned originally. Sebastian Bach described parts of it sounding like "doom metal". The General for instance "had a heavy sound with screaming vocals". The Silkworms leak speaks for itself.

You can blame him all you want, but what if Axl wanted to release music most casual fans would not like? Everybody would whine and say the band was over.

Slash and Duff could take existing songs and change the overall sound. Slash could replace solo's and make them more bluesy, Duff can add more of a punk / rock and roll attitude to them. And all of a sudden you get something that resembles the original sound a lot more... and then the record company would release it more easily, because more people would like it.

Don't get me wrong... I actually like bands like Nine Inch Nails, so I can appreciate what Axl was trying to do. And I would love to hear what CD was supposed to sound like.

But the casual fan is where the big money is. You know, those people at the concert that go pee or get more drinks when a CD song gets played...

Edited by Lethalis

As fans, we always complain that the band never communicate with us.  They don't do interviews etc.  

This is exactly why they don't do interviews though.  There is nothing positive to be gained.

If you read between the lines, Slash has practically confirmed that they are planning to work on a new album, release it and tour it. 

He only stops just short of 100% confirming it as they are not ready to announce anything.

Of course that has more merit than when Richard said he'd love to play on a classic album and it would be stupid not to do one.  

Slash has been in this business for over 30 years,  He knows how the media and fan bases work.  He would thread way more carefully if he thought there wasn't much hope of this happening.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I think it all comes down to if the record company wants to release new music and how much money they want to put forward to make it happen, be it CD2 promotion or production of a new album.

I’m not optimistic for either scenario.

With Slash and Duff back, they might see things differently. There's clearly an appeal and a platform to market this.

7 hours ago, ironmt said:

Sorry I had to laugh at this post. It's a strange question to ask because Russ is interpreting what Slash said his way and not what Slash actually said. As a previous poster on this thread stated, this is exactly why GNR does not give interviews. People tend to misinterpret words due  to their own frame of reference/perception. 

Rather than reading too much into things, sometimes it's best just to take it face value, especially since Slash is a household name and was there since AFD.

1 hour ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Melissa Reese is the most powerful member of GNR. I'm still waiting for a release hint from her.

Haha! As long as someone could decipher a release hint form her:

Yass taffy #fueling #outpouring of #sound love!!!!!!!!!! #r-day vibes #stream bae #give back :heart: #Akai hang over #junk food hangover :axl92: #anticipation @Mac squad #dance party! #slay #queen :wub:

• Haha 4