Choose your Illusion - the next (hypothetical) album

Choose your Illusion  

205 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A mixture of no. 2, the penultimate one, and other: Reworked stuff from the 90s (cause there must be some gems there), reworked stuff from ChD II (cause we wanna hear it, and Axl didn’t write all that stuff to keep it in a drawer forever), and brand new stuff composed as of 2015 (cause we wanna hear NEW music stemming from this era and this chemistry of these musicians; they’ve been working on stuff, so obviously it has to be released sooner or later). 
Mostly though, I would like new songs. Like maybe half of the album, and the other half would be split quarter to quarter with ChDII and 90s stuff. 
But I guess I’d take anything really. 

• Like 1

The next release will probably solidify the current lineup. Deeper Chinese cuts with Buckethead/Robin solos will remain in the vault for the forseealble future.

No way they release anything new that doesn't heavily feature Duff/Slash/Fortus. Maybe there is room for one track with Brain's drumming, an Izzy guest spot or something, but all solos will be played by Slash with 1 or 2 minor ones by 4tus. 

Any Izzy involvement will slow down the process.

If they want to mix Chinese and other stuff, they most likely have to re-record almost everything to get a coherent sound. 

The fastest way to get a new album out imo is if they overdub the best of the rest of the chinese material.

I don't really care, from what era the new songs will be. I want the fast route and a 11/19 release.

Edited by noonoo

Yeah, I don't think Slash would tolerate any other guitarist playing big solos on the next Guns N' Roses album. Maybe Fortus Longus gets a few lead  licks here and there like Izzy on Appetite. I hope so, actually since he is really good at lead guitar. When they do Wish you were here I actually like Richards playing more.

There really shouldn't be any guitar players featured other than Slash and Fortus, in my opinion.

On 8/23/2018 at 10:38 AM, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Album should be titled "Lose Your Illusions", I think the Estranged video says this at the end of it

What about "Use Your Protrusion."  They can even have Ron Jeremy sitting cross legged, writing on a journal for the album cover....

Don't know if anyone else knows this...but "Use Your Illusion 3" has already been taken/used, seriously, by the band Treephort :

https://www.amazon.com/Use-Your-Illusion-III-Treephort/dp/B0002IQA72

Of course I prefer Izzy but wouldn't mind if It had Fortus on It; Frank bothers me though. But Steven can't help himself so most likely Axl will keep Frank.

What I'd like to hear music wise would be an attempt to combine the strengths of the songs the old band wrote with somewhat of a modern approach to make It actually credible as an artistic effort and not just some commercial generic shit, but without the problem (I.M.H.O) of CD'S overproduction.

Edited by ezosk
added few words
  • GNFNR 1

None of the choices were exactly what I want from the next GNR album, but I voted for the re-recorded cd-stuff + new stuff.

Personally I would want them to include one or two songs from the 90's to the mix along with CD2 songs and brand new songs. That would be my dream come true.

And I have no clue why some make such a big deal out of Axl's voice. His voice is still pretty much the same as it was on 2016. He could still easily sing like he did with ac/dc. So there's no point on worrying about his voice. Especially in the studio he will sound great for sure.

6 hours ago, Gackt said:

Release Chinese 2 as it would have come out in 2008/9 as a proper follow-up to Chinese 1, and the new line-up can record a fresh EP together with new ideas.  

That's never gonna happen, if they release CD II untouched, that would be the only album getting released. Universal won't put a bunch of effort into releasing CD II, if they have another album with slash material coming around d the same time or even a year later. 

There's unfortunately no way that we see the untouched version of CD II, unless Axl somehow pursuades universal to release a giant boxset of all the material. The time for CD II was 2011-2015. The cat is out of the bag!

• Like 1

On 23/08/2018 at 1:02 AM, GNR 1991 said:

You guys need to really let the Izzy thing go. He’s not going to go into a studio with these guys ever again and they aren’t gonna release any mid 90’s album that probably doesn’t even exist.

That album got far enough for the band to start rehearsing for a tour to promote it, make of that what you will.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, noonoo said:

Any Izzy involvement will slow down the process.

sure!!!

Izzy "Slow" Stradlin is famous for taking long periods on studio

rumour says that sometimes he takes TWO FULL WEEKS to record an album!

so much so that he only has ELEVEN solo albums!

Leave Izzy "Slow" Stradlin out

otherwise it "will slow down the process"!!!

:rofl-lol:

• Like 3

Kinda surprised by the amount of interest in an album w/ fortus and frank even though the poll asks for your ideal scenario and lists Izzy as a possibility. Yowza. 

Is this a function of people resigning themselves to the fact that Izzy is long gone or because Fortus/Frank have endeared themselves to the fanbase? Both? 

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

sure!!!

Izzy "Slow" Stradlin is famous for taking long periods on studio

rumour says that sometimes he takes TWO FULL WEEKS to record an album!

so much so that he only has ELEVEN solo albums!

Leave Izzy "Slow" Stradlin out

otherwise it "will slow down the process"!!!

:rofl-lol:

Izzy is even more barebones with his recording style than Slash. He probably would complete his GnR parts right in his bedroom and send them over to Axl...:lol:

"Nu-Guns fan. Gimme Chi Dem boxset with as much Bucket as possible. Just release it all untouched. Mild to no interest in NITL lineup album." 

I would love to get a box set with the demos from 1999 and 2000.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Kinda surprised by the amount of interest in an album w/ fortus and frank even though the poll asks for your ideal scenario and lists Izzy as a possibility. Yowza. 

Is this a function of people resigning themselves to the fact that Izzy is long gone or because Fortus/Frank have endeared themselves to the fanbase? Both? 

Who can say. Me, I think people tend to diminish Izzy's (and Duff's and prime Steve's) contributions to the old GNR sound, namely their influences, style and how it all comes through in the music.

• GNFNR 1

The ideal scenario for me would be something fresh that would genuinely represent the band at this time. My preference would be a low-profiled, mainly acoustic ,thing, which I think fits the band now as well as Axl's current voice, with maybe a couple of more up-tempo songs as well as a couple of more "adventurous" compositions that could come from re-worked old material. If Izzy could be part of it in any capacity, it would be cool. It would be risky, because it most likely wouldn't live up to the expectations of the fan base and the industry, but I'd appreciate an honest effort more than a too ambitious one (=a hard rock thing that would try to live up to the legacy or them trying to re-invent themselves).

But I think the most realistic scenario for new music is re-worked old stuff by the current band, mainly from Axl's CD-era leftovers and from the 1994-96 material that was "scrapped" (according to Axl) after Slash left, with maybe a couple of brand new compositions. This scenario, although not ideal, might not be bad at all. In this case, however, I don't think that the original CD era stuff that will be re-worked will ever see the light of the day - not officially at least.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The ideal scenario for me would be something fresh that would genuinely represent the band at this time. My preference would be a low-profiled, mainly acoustic ,thing, which I think fits the band now as well as Axl's current voice, with maybe a couple of more up-tempo songs as well as a couple of more "adventurous" compositions that could come from re-worked old material. If Izzy could be part of it in any capacity, it would be cool. It would be risky, because it most likely wouldn't live up to the expectations of the fan base and the industry, but I'd appreciate an honest effort more than a too ambitious one (=a hard rock thing that would try to live up to the legacy or them trying to re-invent themselves).

But I think the most realistic scenario for new music is re-worked old stuff by the current band, mainly from Axl's CD-era leftovers and from the 1994-96 material that was "scrapped" (according to Axl) after Slash left, with maybe a couple of brand new compositions. This scenario, although not ideal, might not be bad at all. In this case, however, I don't think that the original CD era stuff that will be re-worked will ever see the light of the day - not officially at least.

So a more rootsy album in the vein of Wichita Lineman? Almost like an updated companion piece to GnR Lies. That could be interesting. I remember thinking after the last time I listened to Spaghetti Incident, that I enjoyed the Charles Manson track the most - simply because it was a nice stylistic change for Axl. Wichita for some reason made me think of Look at your Game Girl oddly enough....:P

I think it will be hard to rework those CD era songs - atleast in a way that Slash will find satisfactory. GnR of AFD/UYI were a riff band. CD approaches the guitar as simply one instrument (a primary one perhaps) amidst a variety of different sounds and elements. To do it right, he'd have to rebuild the foundation and write around Axl's lyrics rather than cut/pasting a solo where Buckethead or Finck used to be. I really hope it isn't some lazy effort like the latter...

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1