Fall To Pieces could have been a "Guns Song"

It's a great song, but the lyrics are written for a Scott melody. So it would sound strange with Axl, as does Slither too.

The riff was meant for Guns but that's all it was, a riff... Axl would have written different lyrics and a he would have used a different melody with his voice.

I cannot even discern any trends in the 00s. It must be the first decade in human history without any distinct culture or fashion. It is nondescript. Previous decades, you shout out a decade and you instantly recall things like teddy boys, The Beatles, flairs, AIDS and Trainspotting. Even this decade has skinny jeans and styrofoam coffee and phone obsessions. 

PS

I suppose my best description of the '00s would be as a sort of ''watered down '90s''.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

I never cared for "Fall to Pieces," or anything much from Velvet Revolver, really. I do wish I went out and saw 'em live during the tour. But other than that, I'm a bigger fan of Slash/Myles/Conspirators and Duff's Loaded.

"Fall to Pieces" probably would have been a "lesser" hit for GNR than VR. VR was getting a ton of pub for being a supergroup of old Gunners and STP frontman. Alternative rock was the flavor back then. Weiland carried a lot more juice in the press than people probably recall.

Then again, it's tough to say if GNR debuted "Fall to Pieces" in 1997/1998 what would have happened. 

Edited by GnR Chris

Had Axl been more keen to keep Gilby (or if he had to go, to bring Izzy back) and had Slash not been stubborn with his "just shut up and sing" approach, we would have THAT GN'R album and, as far as I know, the only recorded indication of what that might have sounded like is the whistle melody over Slash's Back and Forth Again arpeggios...which is structured similar to FTP, just sayin'...

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

Velvet Revolver failed.

I don't know if Velvet Revolver failed as much as a whole, definitely if Scott was able to get his issues in check during that time I think that it would have faired better for the band overall - their first album was totally kickass!  Libertad, not as much but still had some decent moments and is enjoyable.

There is a song on Duff's solo album with Slash, and a song on Slash's with Izzy, and a song on Duff's (2nd) with Izzy, and a song on Gilby's with Axl, and a song on Gilby's with Slash, and a song on Gilby's with Duff etc etc - I could go on! 

Why can't they all just get together on one bloody song!!

The Outpatience song with Rose and Slash is fairly close to being a Guns song actually.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 8/25/2018 at 4:21 AM, Free Bird said:

In his book he stated he wrote that song in the early '00.

It's another Axl vs Slash thing that nobody knows what really happened.

Maybe Slash didn't want this song to be associated with Guns since it was about VR at the time. 

Otherwise, Slash must have played it to Axl in 95/96. VR released it 8-9 years later. Slash could have played a different but similar riff to FTP and Axl mistakenly thought it was the same riff after all this years.

I had one too many last night....had no idea what I was talking about....lol.  I guess mid 90's and the year 2000 is one and the same when I'm tipsy.  :facepalm::lol:

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Haha 2

I loved VR. I love Slash's guitar playing on his solo albums but VR had overall better songs IMO. 

Slither, Dirty Little Thing, FTP, Messages, YGNR, loving the alien. 

I saw them in 05 and they were brilliant. I was blown away by Scott. Then I saw them in 08, 2 weeks before the break up.  It was very clear they weren't getting on 

16 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Nothing against the late Scott Weiland or VR but Fall To Pieces would have been the next G N' R hit.  It was one of the primary riffs Slash was working on before they broke up.

Slash recently said he had "riffs" for his personal songs and other riffs for Guns songs.  Fall To Pieces was intended to be a Guns song.  It screams Guns.  

I would love to hear Axl's take on it.  Thoughts?

With Scott's passing not long before the beginnings of the GNR Tour I was very surprised Fall to Pieces was not played as a tribute to him.

It never happened, but they did play Black Hole Sun when Chris Cornell died.

Maybe Axl couldn't get over the little internet spat he had with Scott in 2006

Edited by RedHook

1 minute ago, Gold top 78 said:

I know your a big fan of CD era Russ but are VR a band I’ve not seen you post much about. Were you a VR fan  ? 

Oh yeah, absolutely. Saw them in concert a couple of times. First time was in Detroit about a week before Contraband. Ended up going to a meet & greet before hand and met everyone but Scott. Really cool night. I didn't like Libertad too much but I really dug Contraband and wished Libertad was better or at least there were another album or two.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RedHook said:

With Scott's passing not long before the beginnings of the GNR Tour I was very surprised Fall to Pieces was not played as a tribute to him.

It never happened, but they did play Black Hole Sun when Chris Cornell died.

Maybe Ask couldn't get over the little internet spat he had with Scott in 2006

Dd you read Slash's Rolling Stone interview? I think he still has some distaste for Scott.

1 minute ago, -W.A.R- said:

Dd you read Slash's Rolling Stone interview? I think he still has some distaste for Scott.

I will have to read it .. I do remember 2006 when Scott put a very harsh letter to Axl front and center on the VR website. I still have it somewhere on my laptop, some funny stuff lol

Just now, RussTCB said:

Oh yeah, absolutely. Saw them in concert a couple of times. First time was in Detroit about a week before Contraband. Ended up going to a meet & greet before hand and met everyone but Scott. Really cool night. I didn't like Libertad too much but I really dug Contraband and wished Libertad was better or at least there were another album or two.

Cool I didn’t know that. I wish that I saw  VR back in the day it’s kinda a regret I didn’t go to see them. I agree about Libertad it kinda put it off VR slightly I just didn’t like it anywhere near Contraband 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedHook said:

I will have to read it .. I do remember 2006 when Scott put a very harsh letter to Axl front and center on the VR website. I still have it somewhere on my laptop, some funny stuff lol

Yeah that was after Axl talked about Slash showing up to his house and supposedly talked bad about his VR band mates over a intercom to the nanny :lol: 

32 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Yeah that was after Axl talked about Slash showing up to his house and supposedly talked bad about his VR band mates over a intercom to the nanny :lol: 

axlfight1.jpgaxlfight.jpg

12 or so years later,  it wasn't hard to find this letter he wrote to Axl 

Edited by RedHook
  • Haha 1