Velvet Revolver vs. Guns N' Roses

Guns N' Roses vs. Velvet Revolver   

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Very unpopular opinion on here but never liked Axl's 00s voice. That includes even 2006. I know it's more powerful than today but it was somehow strange. 

Combine that with the freakshow and the new direction and style this version of the band never flashed me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Very unpopular opinion on here but never liked Axl's 00s voice. That includes even 2006. I know it's more powerful than today but it was somehow strange. 

Combine that with the freakshow and the new direction and style this version of the band never flashed me.

The freakshow aspect was completely gone by 2006. Even Robin looked normal.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stro said:

The freakshow aspect was completely gone by 2006. Even Robin looked normal.

Halfway. But besides the look of the guys (and they still looked weird to me for a band called GNR), I consider their interpretation of the songs as freakshow as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Halfway. But besides the look of the guys (and they still looked weird to me for a band called GNR), I consider their interpretation of the songs as freakshow as well.

How so? 2006 versions were pretty faithful beyond Ron's noodling from time to time, which even Slash does on basic songs like Yesterdays now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stro said:

How so? 2006 versions were pretty faithful beyond Ron's noodling from time to time, which even Slash does on basic songs like Yesterdays now.

Ron's a shredder. To me there is a difference between Slash's noodling (which is something that I don't like that much either) and Ron's shredding. He is a top notch guitarist but I personally could never enjoy his or BH parts in GNR. That's all.

What I even disliked more were Fincks parts on the classics. 

I tried at the time. I bought several bootlegs on dvd but was very disappointed ... I gave it a try but it just weren't my cup of tea.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I agree with this.  I don't know what the hell happened to him from 93 to 2000 but it wasn't good. Strange indeed.  If he sounded like that during the classic era I wouldn't have become a fan in the first place. That was one of the many reasons I didn't care for CD.  

Are you saying you thought he declined pre-Spaghetti and SFTD or after those? I thought Axl's vocals were great on TSI and Sympathy for the Devil....  

On 26/08/2018 at 4:50 PM, jacdaniel said:

Result is not exactly surprising on a Guns forum.

Outside this forum though, I think VR would win and were generally better received than Nu Guns ever were. 

Yeh, because it would judged on what it looks like. If you removed the video, it's night and day. 

GNR were absolutely phenomenal at this point. By far the most consistent Axl ever sounded live. Whatever he was doing, I wish he'd do some more of it.

Put this RAM show vs the Apollo '17 show next. My vote is RAM BTW😀

GNR for sure. Soft spot for 2006. That's when I got into them. Rock Am Ring was the first bootleg DVD I bought. I overplayed the shit out of that DVD. The band was a fucking force to be reckoned with in 06. And while we all shit on axl's looks in the 2000s, I thought he looked like a total badass in 06. Doesn't hurt that he was in phenomenal shape. Give me that Axl any day of the week. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

Axl Rose band vs Velvet Revolver.  There was no Real Guns N' Roses during the 00's.  Velvet Revolver wins.

No, Guns N' Roses wins with three quarters of the votes. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Lol, nah. Guns N Roses played Rock Am Ring in 2006. It's too bad you missed it. 

No Slash, no GNR for me.  I passed on the Axl Rose band every time they came to town.  I did, however see VR every time they came to town.  I frankly find it surprising that anyone supports that era.  Must be a generational thing, for people who weren't around during the real GNR days.

Edited by BadApples87

28 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

No Slash, no GNR for me.  I passed on the Axl Rose band every time they came to town.  I did, however see VR every time they came to town.  I frankly find it surprising that anyone supports that era.  Must be a generational thing, for people who weren't around during the real GNR days.

Talk about being close minded... Saying that NuGN'R is for people who "weren't around during the real GN'R days" is just being ignorant, people enjoy different things you know. Being a fan since '88 does not automatically equal not supporting the '01-'14 era. 

If it's not your cup of tea that's fine but saying that you find it surprising that anyone supports that era is just plain stupid imo. :shrugs:

15 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Talk about being close minded... Saying that NuGN'R is for people who "weren't around during the real GN'R days" is just being ignorant, people enjoy different things you know. Being a fan since '88 does not automatically equal not supporting the '01-'14 era. 

If it's not your cup of tea that's fine but saying that you find it surprising that anyone supports that era is just plain stupid imo. :shrugs:

If people enjoyed watching a bunch of "additional musicians" play the riffs that Slash and Izzy wrote, that's fine.  I didn't even know any of those guys names, other than Buckethead, until a couple of years ago when Slash and Duff re-joined the band.    

Most people I know wrote off GNR until Slash returned.  Sure, folks did in fact go see the Axl Rose band era as perhaps their only chance to hear Axl and those awesome songs from the 80's and 90's.  I get that.  They do a decent job playing other people's songs.  I am just glad I saw them back in the day, and then waited Axl out until he brought back Slash and Duff.  

Edited by BadApples87
  • Like 1

I’d say Chinese-era Guns live was more of a “GNR experience” or an “evening with Axl Rose” type thing than a true band- but I still had TONS of fun at all those shows (‘02, ‘06, ‘11 & ‘12). The music was great, there was a fun, party atmosphere for the most part, and whatever people wanna say- you were in the presence of RnR royalty (Axl) for a few hours. Blows the doors off most average nights- at least in my world. Lol.

1 hour ago, BadApples87 said:

Again, lol, no. I saw GNR in 91, 92 & 93 and then a lot through the 2000s. I've been a fan since the very beginning. To me, there's no "real GNR", there's just GNR with different members over the years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Again, lol, no. I saw GNR in 91, 92 & 93 and then a lot through the 2000s. I've been a fan since the very beginning. To me, there's no "real GNR", there's just GNR with different members over the years. 

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. 

• Like 1