UYI box>AFD box

Does anyone else think a UYI 25th anniversary box or re-release in 2016 (not necessarily the $1000 one) makes a lot more sense than the AFD boxset? I mean, the 30th warrants some recognition; but I feel like with live material, the UYI and TSI sessions, along with Bob clear mountain mixes that were scraped means we'd have Soo much material to comb through. I mean GN'R was on tour, just seems like a good chance to me to go into the vault. 

Not only that, but to me the UYI albums deserve a remaster much more than Appetite, what mean is that Appetite from the beginning has always sounded like a clear, well mastered album. The margin between the remaster-while it does seem to add depth, wouldn't be as great as a UYI remaster. For me the albums have always had a dull mix. Is that just me?

• Like 1

IMO I just always hated the drums on UYI,they only sounded acceptable on all the slow songs/ballads,I wish they could remaster or even re-record the drum parts to make em less weak for potential remaster or box set occasion.Matts a cool dude and everything but was never a fan of his drumming,always sounded watered down to me.I know I’m not the only one who feels this way cuz didn’t Axl even say something along the lines of “looking back on the Illusion records,they were difficult to listen to cuz he realized later the drums don’t sound satisfying enough”?Although I preferred Adler to play all the AFD stuff along with CIvil War,YCBM,Don’t Cry, and etc.Im one of the fans that had Frank Ferrers back when the reunion lineup was revealed cuz I feel he’s at least more of a hard hitter (hence given the name ”Thunderchucker”) than Sorum.I salute Sorum when he took over after Adler and learning all those songs in such a little time before his 1st gig with the band...Idk that’s just my 2 cents I felt like tossing in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Does anyone else think a UYI 25th anniversary box or re-release in 2016 (not necessarily the $1000 one) makes a lot more sense than the AFD boxset? I mean, the 30th warrants some recognition; but I feel like with live material, the UYI and TSI sessions, along with Bob clear mountain mixes that were scraped means we'd have Soo much material to comb through. I mean GN'R was on tour, just seems like a good chance to me to go into the vault. 

Not only that, but to me the UYI albums deserve a remaster much more than Appetite, what mean is that Appetite from the beginning has always sounded like a clear, well mastered album. The margin between the remaster-while it does seem to add depth, wouldn't be as great as a UYI remaster. For me the albums have always had a dull mix. Is that just me?

Wouldn't buy that either. I'm willing to pay fair money for music, but I don't like overpaying for "collectible" crap. I don't care if it's AFD or UYI era, as long as the pricing is this high for a relatively small amount of music I'm not interested. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Apollo said:

All day, every day.

I've seen thousands of GnR live performances. Several in real life, and then the thousands of times on YouTube.  I have no interest in paying to see more lives shows from 25 years ago. 

What I would most like to spend my money on is brand new music.

But in all reality, there is no reason that GnR can't do all of that. New music, CD demos and b-sides, old UYI live shows, Illusions rejects/alt-versions/b-sides/etc.  Everybody involved is super rich already. Why not just clean out the vault as a "thank you" to the fans?

Release a new album. Release CD2 and CD3 on Itunes. And release all the old concert footage on the official GnR website. Everybody wins.

GNR doing anything with the fans in mind hahahhaha

• Like 1

I'd love a UYI boxset, it would interest me more than the AFD one although I admit I've enjoyed the remastered version more than I initially expected to.

I'd also love a CD set if it contained unreleased tracks/alt versions. Not going to hold my breath for that one though, there's probably more chance of unheard stuff being recycled into a new album now rather than them being labelled CD era songs.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

You mean you wouldn't want miniature collectables of Axl's teeny tiny shorts?!? Or a little Axl doll complete with 100 clothing changes?? :lol:

Whoah whoah whoah! I was talking badges and pins. My own personal Axl Rose dollhouse set would be a dream come true! :lol:

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'd take a Chinese box set over a UYI box. Most of the UYI demos/rehearsals are already out there, a lot of the CD stuff, however, isn't. There's just so much from the nuGuns era that hasn't been heard. 

I wouldn't say no to a UYI box, but just think of all the stuff we could get out of a CD box set

-CD II
-Roy Thomas Baker demos (I know we already have some of the songs, but maybe clean them up like they did with the 1986 Sound City sessions)
-Demos of every song
-The remix album
-HOB show w/remastered audio and video
-The Joint shows
-A 2002 pro-shot
-Any of the songs that didn't make the cut for CD or CD II 
-Rehearsals with the 2002 lineup

There was just so much mystery surrounding nuGNR and it's much more interesting to me than the UYI era.

Definitely agree. 

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong, I love CD. I love the live shows, but I just don't feel as much zeal or desire to here demos of the CD stuff. I was only a kid in the '90s and 2000's; so maybe there's a curiosity factor and that feeling of mystery that went over my head, but the early nuGN'R stuff is just a mess on top of a mess. So many people coming and going, Axl sounding awful on the tour minus a few shows(I really enjoy the Boston show btw), makes me wonder why all this shit wasn't released when Axl had the entire band in his grasp. He was allowed to spend 14 million dollars and that many years to create a record, if these demos and CD 2 and 3 were so damn good, Lord knows they would already be out by now.

Plus I think you're crazy if you'd rather have a 2002 or 2001 performance over a 2006, 2009, or 2010 show... That's just me though..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Because ChD is always on the top 10 list of greatest rock albums of all time... :facepalm:

I'll tell you more

I'd take Checkmate over SCOM while SCOM is on all Top rock songs lists and Checkmate isn't even a full song 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'd take a Chinese box set over a UYI box. Most of the UYI demos/rehearsals are already out there, a lot of the CD stuff, however, isn't. There's just so much from the nuGuns era that hasn't been heard. 

I wouldn't say no to a UYI box, but just think of all the stuff we could get out of a CD box set

-CD II
-Roy Thomas Baker demos (I know we already have some of the songs, but maybe clean them up like they did with the 1986 Sound City sessions)
-Demos of every song
-The remix album
-HOB show w/remastered audio and video
-The Joint shows
-A 2002 pro-shot
-Any of the songs that didn't make the cut for CD or CD II 
-Rehearsals with the 2002 lineup

There was just so much mystery surrounding nuGNR and it's much more interesting to me than the UYI era.

Universal City 2006 shows and Bucharest 2010 in soundboard, too. Maybe a disc with stuff like Sailing, Sway, OTGM w/ Lars, My Michelle with Baz, songs with Izzy, etc. And a disc of 2006 Ron (& Frank?) demos.

CD box would definitely be the most interesting archive release at this point IMO.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Would you take a remastered version of the HOB show over a remastered proshot of Locomotive, bad apples, Breakdown, Dead Horse, Garden of Eden??

Propably

I have a doubts only because of locomotive and Garden of Eden

27 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

I'll tell you more

I'd take Checkmate over SCOM while SCOM is on all Top rock songs lists and Checkmate isn't even a full song 

Surely you're only saying that because we've all heard scom 1000 times and checkmate has a mystery surrounding it. No way you can honestly say you'd rather hear checkmate than ever hear scom, when it's like 2 lines. If you're saying never hear scom again and get to hear checkmate it might be more than understandable...

• Like 1