UYI box>AFD box

2 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

Propably

I have a doubts only because of locomotive and Garden of Eden

I just don't get the appeal of that show, already had a bootleg of it that sounded good, no better, this I love, Madagascar, sorry, if the world, nor Riad; (I get that some of those songs weren't written or performed on that tour, but in my mind those songs were some of the best live of the CD era). Axl sounds awful, not nearly as powerful as shows later on the tour, no special guests, not too different from Rock in Rio show. I feel like it's asking for a proshot of the Vegas 2016 shows.. important in the bands history; but I don't know anyone that listens to it regularly or a reason we need a proshot of it.

27 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I just don't get the appeal of that show, already had a bootleg of it that sounded good, no better, this I love, Madagascar, sorry, if the world, nor Riad; (I get that some of those songs weren't written or performed on that tour, but in my mind those songs were some of the best live of the CD era). Axl sounds awful, not nearly as powerful as shows later on the tour, no special guests, not too different from Rock in Rio show. I feel like it's asking for a proshot of the Vegas 2016 shows.. important in the bands history; but I don't know anyone that listens to it regularly or a reason we need a proshot of it.

The legendary trifecta of Paul Tobias, Pitman, and Mr.Buckethead is simply too hard to resist.

If that wasn't enough, you even get Finck sporting a skullet. 

• Haha 1

I would love a UYI set with remastered album, demos, Axl's advance copy, unreleased songs, etc. Live stuff would be cool too but all that unreleased stuff in good quality would be the main thing I'm interested in. And I would just do iTunes and make my own CD for the car instead of buying a box of toys.

14 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Does anyone else think a UYI 25th anniversary box or re-release in 2016 (not necessarily the $1000 one) makes a lot more sense than the AFD boxset? I mean, the 30th warrants some recognition; but I feel like with live material, the UYI and TSI sessions, along with Bob clear mountain mixes that were scraped means we'd have Soo much material to comb through. I mean GN'R was on tour, just seems like a good chance to me to go into the vault. 

Not only that, but to me the UYI albums deserve a remaster much more than Appetite, what mean is that Appetite from the beginning has always sounded like a clear, well mastered album. The margin between the remaster-while it does seem to add depth, wouldn't be as great as a UYI remaster. For me the albums have always had a dull mix. Is that just me?

Bob clear mountain mixes?

14 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Does anyone else think a UYI 25th anniversary box or re-release in 2016 (not necessarily the $1000 one) makes a lot more sense than the AFD boxset? I mean, the 30th warrants some recognition; but I feel like with live material, the UYI and TSI sessions, along with Bob clear mountain mixes that were scraped means we'd have Soo much material to comb through. I mean GN'R was on tour, just seems like a good chance to me to go into the vault. 

Not only that, but to me the UYI albums deserve a remaster much more than Appetite, what mean is that Appetite from the beginning has always sounded like a clear, well mastered album. The margin between the remaster-while it does seem to add depth, wouldn't be as great as a UYI remaster. For me the albums have always had a dull mix. Is that just me?

Make more sense than what is quantitatively the greatest rock record of all time?  No.  Does that minimize the value of a UYI box? No. AFD is the 1972 Dolphins, there is only one.  That doesn't make the 1985 Bears any less special, and a lot of people might argue that the 1985 Bears are better, but only one was  NFL undefeated for an entire season. 

<I think TSI is like the Browns in the above scenario>

11 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'd take a Chinese box set over a UYI box. Most of the UYI demos/rehearsals are already out there, a lot of the CD stuff, however, isn't. There's just so much from the nuGuns era that hasn't been heard. 

I wouldn't say no to a UYI box, but just think of all the stuff we could get out of a CD box set

-CD II
-Roy Thomas Baker demos (I know we already have some of the songs, but maybe clean them up like they did with the 1986 Sound City sessions)
-Demos of every song
-The remix album
-HOB show w/remastered audio and video
-The Joint shows
-A 2002 pro-shot
-Any of the songs that didn't make the cut for CD or CD II 
-Rehearsals with the 2002 lineup

There was just so much mystery surrounding nuGNR and it's much more interesting to me than the UYI era.

You forgot the most important part. It'll be called Chinese Take-out and be packaged as: 

51axROL04IL.jpg 

It should have all the RTB material and focus heavily on 1997-2004 (the early versions of CD and all the other songs that never made it to albums). Fuck whatever Ron or Ashba may have added.  

I'd pick it over an UYI box because this is the era from which we haven't heard most of the material. I doubt there's a lot of UYI stuff we don't have. But I'd be ok with being proven wrong there. 

Edited by username
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Make more sense than what is quantitatively the greatest rock record of all time?  No.  Does that minimize the value of a UYI box? No. AFD is the 1972 Dolphins, there is only one.  That doesn't make the 1985 Bears any less special, and a lot of people might argue that the 1985 Bears are better, but only one was  NFL undefeated for an entire season. 

<I think TSI is like the Browns in the above scenario>

But, UYI definitely needs a remaster, the mix is bland. Often times Izzy is drowned out, and songs just sound dull. Appetite since '87 has sounded great. But I get what you're saying. 

29 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I seem to remember Alan Niven saying that Bob Clearmountain's UYI mixes were too clean and polished, more than the final Bill Price mixes.

Which is insane to consider given the final mixes are airbrushed to Madonna levels. 

28 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

It'd be interesting but songs like Don't Cry and Knockin certainly improved without his horrid scatting. 

Fair enough.

In an ideal scenario, I'd love to see Brain step in and do those albums justice. Just replace that Sorum drumming. I honestly would even prefer Frank....:ph34r:

I’d definitely go for a UYI box as long as it wasn’t filled with similar crap that the last box had. And at a $1000 a box im definitely not parting with that sort of cash. 

i still think that box was over priced junk (for the most part) 

i feel they missed a trick on that, how they can charge a 1000 bucks and not include the ritz show and and an interview or something officially packaged of that is a crime .. they had limitless options and what they gave us was junk. If they were to go down this path with a UYI set I think it would be similar. 

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I’d really love to hear what the Illusions would’ve sounded like with Steven on drums. I have a feeling the songs would be much more vibrant. 

I liked the demo version of Don't Cry (with Steven on drums) more than the more polished/produced album version. 

Absolutely 100% want a UYI boxset. As noted elsewhere, lots of different mixes I would like to have in better quality. Also - a 5.1 Blu-ray of both albums would be awesome. Coma in surround sound??! 😱

Also - Ain’t Going Down released properly would be great and likely a single. Some properly mixed live shows would be cool.

As a big Metallica fan, GNR should look at the Metallica reissues which are absolutely bang-on in terms of content - live shows/videos, books, picture discs, vinyl and demos (although is missing 5.1 mixes).

To be fair - I would happily spend my money on any GNR material - TSI (although likely to be in UYI) and any CD stuff. I’m at the age where happy to immerse myself in all things GNR/Metallica as there just isn’t much happening on the scene these days.

Edited by DTJ80
  • GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, newusedillusion said:

Given the number of mixes that were supposedly done, I don't see them ever agreeing on what to put on the set.

I just want a better sound. I know that'd be tough. That's really why I love their live shows. Many of their songs are soooo good, but the energy and great sound is only captured in live performances. Pretty tied up, perfect crime, dust N' Bones, double Talkin jive, live and let die, dead horse, yesterdays, right next door to hell are all great songs that get their full potential live. They couldnt quite capture that energy in the studio

On 26/08/2018 at 4:57 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

Appetite from the beginning has always sounded like a clear, well mastered album. 

Apart from the horrid 80s reverb on the drums. I love AFD, but I've always hated the dated mix. That's why I've always wanted to hear the updated 1999 recording.

A CD box would be epic. We'd get much more new music on there than a AFD and UYI box put together. At least we actually would get "49 unreleased songs" instead of 2 new songs and 47 demos that used to be on YouTube (including 40 different versions of You're Crazy) - not forgetting the "new single" which is actually a 30 year old demo of a 25 year old b-side.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Azifwekare said:

Apart from the horrid 80s reverb on the drums. I love AFD, but I've always hated the dated mix. That's why I've always wanted to hear the updated 1999 recording.

A CD box would be epic. We'd get much more new music on there than a AFD and UYI box put together. At least we actually would get "49 unreleased songs" instead of 2 new songs and 47 demos that used to be on YouTube (including 40 different versions of You're Crazy) - not forgetting the "new single" which is actually a 30 year old demo of a 25 year old b-side.

Reverb? I mean, you can hear it slightly on Rocket Queen, but I've always felt the drums were amazing sounding on appetite? Example?

On 8/27/2018 at 4:19 AM, UsedYourIllusion said:

Plus I think you're crazy if you'd rather have a 2002 or 2001 performance over a 2006, 2009, or 2010 show... That's just me though..

People want Bucket, and he was gone by the 2006 tour.

• Like 1