November Rain Live Nitl

Have been watching live November Rain from NITL on YouTube recently, and can't help thinking Slash really doesn't sound good.

I know people say the solos were bad in the nu guns era, but thought Bucket and Bumble did great on the final part.

By the way loved Slash on the Skin and Bones tour version.

Thoughts?

Edited by Brownstone drum
Forgot a word

1 hour ago, ironmt said:

Sounds pretty fucking good to me.

He sounds ok. It's far from a great performance by Slash. 

Compare that to the studio or the 90s versions, it doesn't hold up.

And I know Axl isn't too hot here either but, let's keep the thread on topic. Slash doesn't sound that good on this song.

For whatever reason he's choosing to phrase the solos differently and it takes all the air out the tyres.

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

He sounds ok. It's far from a great performance by Slash. 

Compare that to the studio or the 90s versions, it doesn't hold up.

And I know Axl isn't too hot here either but, let's keep the thread on topic. Slash doesn't sound that good on this song.

For whatever reason he's choosing to phrase the solos differently and it takes all the air out the tyres.

It holds up just fine. He was hit and miss on this solo in the 90's also, just as Axl was. A good example would be this,  It sounds horrible. 

I think the solos sound technically better now than they did in the 90's.  One major difference is the tempo of the songs are a bit faster in NITL versus the 90's and additionally Slash may be off on a bend here or there [beginning high note at the end of the outro solo, the 2 middle solos sound spot on.  As mentioned above, he sounded sloppy on plenty of dates in the 90's and November Rain is difficult because it is a 'feel' song requiring the player to hit the bends perfectly or the guitar will sound like crap. 

Also, depending on the recording, his guitar tone is drastically different on any youtube videos versus what you hear in person, guitar tone sounds thin on even the soundboard recordings and doesn't do his true live tone justice. 

The NR outro at MetLife in ‘16 gave me goosebumps. The sound, the crowd of 50,000+, whatever it was, I found it to be breathtaking. It honestly caught me off guard by how moved I was by the performance. Especially since it wasn’t high on my list of songs I was looking forward to seeing. 

Maybe I'm easily pleased, or maybe I was just caught up in the emotion of seeing Slash, Duff and Axl on stage when I never thought I would, but I personally would rate it song of the night!

1 hour ago, dallasgnrfan said:

I think the solos sound technically better now than they did in the 90's.  One major difference is the tempo of the songs are a bit faster in NITL versus the 90's and additionally Slash may be off on a bend here or there [beginning high note at the end of the outro solo, the 2 middle solos sound spot on.  As mentioned above, he sounded sloppy on plenty of dates in the 90's and November Rain is difficult because it is a 'feel' song requiring the player to hit the bends perfectly or the guitar will sound like crap. 

Also, depending on the recording, his guitar tone is drastically different on any youtube videos versus what you hear in person, guitar tone sounds thin on even the soundboard recordings and doesn't do his true live tone justice. 

Some do, some don't. NV is an example of the ones that don't. He's not bending to pitch in certain bars. I don't mean to pull the "I'm a musician card" but I am, my ear is fairly good for hearing tunings, and he was driving mad at the two shows I watched for NITL and the two solos shows I went to. For whatever reason he likes to bend, just a smidgeen under (flat) the note and stay there (not every bend, let's say 1 in 10). I haven't listened to as many old guns live recordings but the one's I have, that he wasn't trashed his bends were on point.

BUMP THIS -Slash not sounding good on his solo he wrote -Trolls- Haters but damn -I think it sounds better than ever, hard to pull that off with Frank on the skins but he does night in night out -I love Frank but compared To POPCORN AND MATT it is not close-FRANK IS GREAT just not with the REAL GNR , RICHARD I am down with but GNR has always had a killer timekeeper , Frank is outstanding but isnt my cup of tea, BRENT FITZ is 2 times the player he is, so is MATT AND POPCORN , WHEN GUNS get in the studio in the latter part of december -I hope BRENT gets a shot at the drums, MATT would be killer as well , POPCORN IS A PIPE DREAM DUE TO AXL , ANYWAY -slash NOT SOUNDING GREAT ON ANYTHING HE WRITES IS COMICAL 

1 hour ago, TMAC20 said:

BUMP THIS -Slash not sounding good on his solo he wrote -Trolls- Haters but damn -I think it sounds better than ever, hard to pull that off with Frank on the skins but he does night in night out -I love Frank but compared To POPCORN AND MATT it is not close-FRANK IS GREAT just not with the REAL GNR , RICHARD I am down with but GNR has always had a killer timekeeper , Frank is outstanding but isnt my cup of tea, BRENT FITZ is 2 times the player he is, so is MATT AND POPCORN , WHEN GUNS get in the studio in the latter part of december -I hope BRENT gets a shot at the drums, MATT would be killer as well , POPCORN IS A PIPE DREAM DUE TO AXL , ANYWAY -slash NOT SOUNDING GREAT ON ANYTHING HE WRITES IS COMICAL 

I know he wrote it and think the solos are great, but not liking the way he plays it at the moment.

Like I said thought he did a killer job on Skin and Bones tour

Maybe it is the band ?

• Like 1