Ain’t Going Down

We all know there are a number of versions of this track about - including Appetite era instrumental and one which sounds UYI-like with vocals (maybe the version Gilby worked on?). Problem is with that version is it’s quite low quality with hiss etc. It was clearly quite far on in terms of production with background vocals etc - was a ‘proper’ version ever doing the rounds which was higher quality sound wise?

Edited by DTJ80
Extra comments

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

The one that was used for the GnR pinball machine was the finished version.

I know there was a digitised version that was used on the Pinball Machine but that sounds different to the track I’m talking about?

In anycase, do you know if there was a good quality version ever released or just the lower quality one (sounds like it’s 128kbs with hissing)?

Edited by DTJ80

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

The one that was used for the GnR pinball machine was the finished version.

The pinball version was actually recorded in 93 or early 94. You can tell by Axl's voice. Also, I asked Gilby once on Twitter and he said it was the last track he worked on as a member of GN'R. He said they intended to release it fully but "never got it right."

29 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

The pinball version was actually recorded in 93 or early 94. You can tell by Axl's voice. Also, I asked Gilby once on Twitter and he said it was the last track he worked on as a member of GN'R. He said they intended to release it fully but "never got it right."

Yep - the version you are referring to is the same one I’m talking about. Clearly ‘UYI’ type vocals. It’s funny as the version itself is really good and sounds complete? It’s just the audio quality of the version on YouTube is grainy/low quality.

I take it a higher quality version has never found its way online (no hiss/crackling etc)?

Edited by DTJ80

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Yep - the version you are referring to is the same one I’m talking about. Clearly ‘UYI’ type vocals. It’s funny as the version itself is really good and sounds complete? It’s just the audio quality of the version on YouTube is grainy/low quality.

I take it a higher quality version has never found its way online (no hiss/crackling etc)?

It will be the lead off single on the UYI box set that will inevitably get released in the next few years. This song is to UYI as shadow of your love to AFD 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

It will be the lead off single on the UYI box set that will inevitably get released in the next few years. This song is to UYI as shadow of your love to AFD 

To be fair I agree and said as much on the other thread. I just wondered if a cleaner version was out there rather than the hissy/crackly one on YouTube (ie where was that leaked from and did it originally sound cleaner)?

Not that the current one is unlistenable! Can’t wait for the inevitable UYI boxset!

10 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

We all know there are a number of versions of this track about - including Appetite era instrumental and one which sounds UYI-like with vocals (maybe the version Gilby worked on?). Problem is with that version is it’s quite low quality with hiss etc. It was clearly quite far on in terms of production with background vocals etc - was a ‘proper’ version ever doing the rounds which was higher quality sound wise?

i dont think gilby has anything to do with the version in circulation

i dont think there is not even ONE SINGLE GNR STUDIO RECORDING FEATURING GILBY CLARKE in circulation.

all the studio outtakes in circulation are from GNR ERA

fantastic song/fantastic version by the way, better than 90% of everything on the illusion albums

oh and if you just search a bit harder you will find much better quality than youtube from that same version

Edited by ludurigan
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i dont think there is not even ONE SINGLE GNR STUDIO RECORDING FEATURING GILBY CLARKE in circulation.

fantastic song/fantastic version by the way, better than 90% of everything on the illusion albums

oh and if you just search a bit harder you will find much better quality than youtube from that same version

Guns_n'_Roses;_Spaghetti_Incident%3F_cov

Personnel

Guns N' Roses

Edited by Fashionista
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RedHook said:

WTF, that's Horrible! 

Maybe its a good thing GNR never recorded a follow-up to the UYI's

That version is butchered/digitised for the pinball machine and doesn’t represent the actual song that well. The proper version also on YouTube is the real deal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Interesting - I will have to get looking. The one I have access to is a bit better that the YouTube one (just used that as an example) but if there is one which is much cleaner to tide us over until the eventual official release then that’s great. 👍

56 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

Guns_n'_Roses;_Spaghetti_Incident%3F_cov

Personnel

Guns N' Roses

i meant outtakes, sorry

22 hours ago, Fashionista said:

That’s wild.  It’s too bad the song didn’t make it to the Greatest Hits album like SFTD did.  I wonder if it was considered.  

16 minutes ago, bUCKETHEAD lAND said:

I don't think there's a finished version, so far (if im correct) we have the pinball version, an instrumetal called 'Meet & Beer Jam', a demo version and the newly released instrumental version on the remaster

Newly released instrumental version pm the remaster?

Where!?

What are you talking about?

13 hours ago, bUCKETHEAD lAND said:

I don't think there's a finished version, so far (if im correct) we have the pinball version, an instrumetal called 'Meet & Beer Jam', a demo version and the newly released instrumental version on the remaster

There's three known/circulating versions :

- The instrumental Sound City demo from June 5/6 1986 (bootlegged and eventually released on the boxset)

- A live recording from August 23rd 1986 at the Whisky A Go Go (recorded by Marc Canter, bootlegged)

- The UYI sessions rough mix -> longer and with vocals (bootlegged)

The pinball version is just a midi/digitised version, you can't possibly consider that a 'song'.

There's bound to be more recordings (live, rehearsal, studio ?) but they are not circulating.