AFD Locked & Loaded Discounts: Now $399

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 3:58 PM, TheHelgo said:

People may not like and may feel like the bands are sticking it to them, but in the end, it truly is a business and it is capitalism at its finest.  The bands are selling a product on the market (concerts, merch, music) and they do so at a price that is designed to equal out supply and demand while maximizing profit.  A band like GNR is really no different than a company like Apple.  Apple sells their iPhones at ridiculous prices compared to how much it costs to produce them. Why?  Because their loyal following will pay those prices.  If enough people stopped paying those prices, basic economics would force the price down for future iPhones. Same is true for GNR - as long as they are at an optimal Supply/Demand price point, why change?  Why sell a stadium of 40,000 seats at $30 when they can do so at $130?  It will change when economics forces it to.  This isn't meant to sound cold, but companies (bands) are typically not in the business of making less money than the the market will support.

I know this is more than 2 weeks old but fuck it :D 

Yeah, it's business but it's also art. You can't ditch the 2nd part completely like they did with this box. Check out any Metallica's (yeah I know they are used all the time for this) CD remasters, they're 200€ but they have 4-5 live CDs, interviews, a dvd, 2-3 CDs of demos, riffs, song origins and a hardcover book alongside with the remaster. That's being a business but also showing what you really as a band were at that time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

Yeah, it's business but it's also art. You can't ditch the 2nd part completely like they did with this box. Check out any Metallica's (yeah I know they are used all the time for this) CD remasters, they're 200€ but they have 4-5 live CDs, interviews, a dvd, 2-3 CDs of demos, riffs, song origins and a hardcover book alongside with the remaster. That's being a business but also showing what you really as a band were at that time

100% this. 

What GN'R ended up releasing was basically a whole box of nothing and then way overpriced it to boot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

100% this. 

What GN'R ended up releasing was basically a whole box of nothing and then way overpriced it to boot.

I guess I"m in the minority in that I think the box was cool, but I would have included a live show on double vinyl and a bluray of an AFD era show.  Waaaaayyyyyy over priced though.

54 minutes ago, surforia said:

I guess I"m in the minority in that I think the box was cool, but I would have included a live show on double vinyl and a bluray of an AFD era show.  Waaaaayyyyyy over priced though.

But from what I undestand, almost nobody thinks the box "isn't cool". It just could have been A LOT better. Get rid of all those stupid toys and add more live material. I'm not against the lithos and tickets and even the flag, but fucking rings? Fake tattoos? One or two live shows would have been a lot better.

5 hours ago, Nicklord said:

As someone who has all the Metallica Deluxe boxsets to date and will get AJFA, it’s a valid point to say that as a comparison the Metallica ones really are far superior. They truly document that album and the time in such a way that it proves they are on the fans wavelength. Expensive yes but value for money IMO. I’d argue that if you took away the fancy cabinet, the contents of L&L would be the same as the Master if Puppets Deluxe which was about £170 pounds!!

I hope they get the inevitable Illusions ones better. The one thing the AFD reissue got right over Metallica is the blu-ray 5.1 - why Metallica didn’t do that is baffling. And some may say that disc alone is worth paying decent money as it has been done so well.

Edited by DTJ80
Rubbish spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

100% this. 

A bit harsh to say a box of nothing. The 5.1 is a massive win. Unfortunately the demos etc would have been a big deal had they not been available online for years (although these are much better quality). Overpriced BIGTIME I agree though!

On 8/30/2018 at 7:23 AM, donny said:

so this insider source that says 8000-8500 have been sold, would that be the same insider that said it will retail at $650 ? 

Hard to know.  That $650 price came from Mitch Lafon.  Who he heard it from is anybody's guess.  The 8000-8500 number came from my contact at the label.  But yes, could all be horseshit.  But so can anything said to any of us by anyone ever.  This person has no reason to lie to me that I can think of, they certainly have no idea that I would report that here. 

59 minutes ago, Tourettes2400 said:

Yes and it does look amazing. It's really crazy, it's like they actually care about their fans:lol:

I have the MOP box - it's sick.  They've certainly come a long way from Lars handing a ledger to a federal judge providing the names of every Metallica fan who illegally downloaded their music on Napster.

8 minutes ago, surforia said:

I have the MOP box - it's sick.  They've certainly come a long way from Lars handing a ledger to a federal judge providing the names of every Metallica fan who illegally downloaded their music on Napster.

Agreed, but what I really like is the fact that they try to sell their fans what they want and that they realize the fans are the ones that are going to spend their hard-earned money on it.

Edited by Tourettes2400
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, surforia said:

I have the first 3 boxes - all tremendous. Regarding Napster - it was a clusterfuck of a situation that spiralled out of control. Thing is - it was so new that there was NO precedent to follow. I truly believe it was about the right of choice as opposed to the money - but the way it went on was a mess for sure. They did sue their own record company for the masters!

Time has shown him to be right in many regards as it has killed the industry.

• Like 1