Double Talkin' Jive  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which version do you like best?

• Early '91Stripped down, closer to album
    • Late '91/'92 Train Kept a Rollin' intro and Civil War jam
    • '93 and NITL versions, long intros and Slash solos, but no segue

What is y'all's favorite version of Double Talkin' Jive? It's one of the songs, along with You're Crazy, Knockin' On Heavens Door, that went through dramatic changes live several times.

Early in the UYI tour it often didn't transition into Civil War until later in '91, it reflected a closer version to the album. Not much jamming at the beginning of the song, and a much shorter solo at the end-usually without the talk box.

Then of course there's the late '91 and '92 version that segued into Civil War, Slash would jam to Train Kept A Rollin' and do the Voodoo Child intro for Civil War, of course theres the Rock In Rio version where it transitions into WTTJ. 

The '93 version seemed to feature the most imrpovising in the intro, and typically ended with Slash using a talk-box, but it was a stand-alone song. This version is similar to what's being played now on the NITL tour. What do y'all think?

8 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

I always liked the Sanitarium intro so whenever that became a thing

Yeah that was cool.

The Rio one into Jungle is insane.!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

DTJ has been one of the highlights for me on the NITL shows i've seen over the last two years. The intro jam is awesome, and imo the best part of the song. The groove is immense. 

Edited by Snytefant
  • Like 3

What I hate is how much the studio version sucks! 

Long intro and solo are amazing. 

Don't care for the voicebox, just not that into it on any song. 

I love Sanitarium intro, and of course the acoustic jam before Civil War, like un Tokio '92, Slash is very inspired there, great jamming solos.

• Like 1

I will always have an affection for this take in Paris 92. Not saying its the best, just my fave. The poll descriptions could include the rant of the era too. When was the Izzy rant? This one has an all time favourite of mine: the Warren Beaty/Annette Bening rant, lol

• Like 3

I always like the outro jam that led into Civil War. Jamming on the intro was nice too, but I didn’t like the use of the talk box for the outro. My favorite by far is the Chicago ‘92 version. That one has the best outro and just sounds fucking incredible.

I don’t really enjoy the song in general. I like it, but it always felt uncompleted to me. It feels like they wrote half a song and then just noodled an ending since they didn’t know what else to do with it.

• Like 1

My favourite song at the moment so really enjoy every and any version of it haha! 

Posted (edited)

The live version of this song is pretty much my favourite GNR song. With every bootleg it's the song i go back to the most.

I like all the different versions but generally the longer the intro and outro the better.

I just wish they had done a better job of the studio version - seems more like a short demo/idea of what the song could be.

Edited by DK6

4 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

I like the studio version.. because Izzy

Why I was fond of Rock In Rio version. Man I think Izzy can sing, he's got a great rasp and bluesy voice

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Rio 1991 second night is absolutely insane and Slash holds the perfect note on the very climax of the solo/song

i have listened to countless other versions of DTJ and slash never plays the same solo twice

so, yeah, of course slash never ever hit that same note like that again

one for the ages, with additional drama courtesy of axl talking during the instrumental part about "government" and "mercenaries" and "death squads"

and of course izzy's guitar and voice at the right volume and very listenable in the mix

unbelievable stuff

this 3-angle video with great quality just makes it better

https://youtu.be/luzzmiXS458

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the 1993 versions were the best although that intro from the Tokyo DVD's is pretty damn amazing..  I couldn't vote for option 3 because the 1993 versions and the NITL just aren't the same.. The intro's from the NITL lineup just don't compare with the ones back in the day...

• Like 1

'93 all day. Love the long intros and the jams. Just wish the damn talk box weren't in there.

• Like 1

1991 all the way. Sadly, I can't stand the way Axl sounded at RIR II, he sounded so strange. I think Noblesville sounds better on pretty much every song (RQ from there is just so good), despite Axl being sick.

8 hours ago, Waemoth said:

1991 all the way. Sadly, I can't stand the way Axl sounded at RIR II, he sounded so strange. I think Noblesville sounds better on pretty much every song (RQ from there is just so good), despite Axl being sick.

I cant stand Noblesville, it's just a weird mix and Axl sounds like he's lost his voice. Even performances like Dust N' Bones, Bad Obsession are bad sounding.

8 hours ago, Waemoth said:

have you ever listened to the Rio 1991 silver CDs?

On 8/29/2018 at 4:51 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

I don’t really enjoy the song in general. I like it, but it always felt uncompleted to me. It feels like they wrote half a song and then just noodled an ending since they didn’t know what else to do with it.

yup, that could be a lot better song

On 8/30/2018 at 4:01 AM, ludurigan said:

Rio 1991 second night is absolutely insane and Slash holds the perfect note on the very climax of the solo/song

i have listened to countless other versions of DTJ and slash never plays the same solo twice

so, yeah, of course slash never ever hit that same note like that again

one for the ages, with additional drama courtesy of axl talking during the instrumental part about "government" and "mercenaries" and "death squads"

and of course izzy's guitar and voice at the right volume and very listenable in the mix

unbelievable stuff

this 3-angle video with great quality just makes it better

https://youtu.be/luzzmiXS458

Thank you for that.  This video is legendary stuff. 

For me, one of the best performances is Apollo 2017.  Slash’s playing is on another level and Axl sounded fantastic. 

• Like 1