Thoughts on Street of Dreams?

I go back and forth between liking and loving this song.  I think this might be the best case of how irritating the overproduction on CHiDem can be.  As the song fades out when Axl holds out the word "You" (from the "inside of you" line) the production of that part as he holds out the word and the rising sound that just abruptly cuts out.  It's just so much production.  Just strip it back a bit, let us hear the instruments working together, not the studio production giving everything such a manufactured sound.

I know some people find the lyrics cheesy but they kind of remind of lines you might hear in 70s love ballads.  I also think we see some of Axl's most emotional delivery of lines in this song.  Like "I don't know just what I should do, everywhere I go I see you" and I really appreciate that.  These songs were crafted during painful moments in Axl's life and I really like how the emotion shines through

Edit: And I don't necessarily think Axl's appreciation for production is bad.  Didn't he create the sound of the choir in November Rain by painstakingly producing it in the studio?  In that case, utilizing production tools really worked out, but too much of anything can be bad

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 2

I recall when they first played in Vegas someone at the show described it as the next November Rain.   Perhaps I therefore went in with too high of expectations and found the song disappointing.  

Not one of my favourites from CD and glad they stopped playing it live.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, downzy said:

I recall when they first played in Vegas someone at the show described it as the next November Rain.   Perhaps I therefore went in with too high of expectations and found the song disappointing.  

Not one of my favourites from CD and glad they stopped playing it live.  

Agreed. The song does nothing for me. I haven’t listened to Chinese in a long time. If I did, that would be a song I’d skip 

Amazing song, one of the best of ChD, my favourite live versions are from 2001 and 2002. In my opinion his vocals on this song are incredible especially in the ending with that "is only memories" part. Love this song, studio version too

Love it, baffled that it was dropped entirely after being a showcase song for most of the prior 15 years. I am a bit frustrated there isn't one perfect version, as the 2001/02 studio version with Bucket's outro solo, Frank's drum roll, and Axl's harmonizing with the guitar before the last chorus would be the ultimate version, but this is the closest thing on CD to a UYI era piece and I can't understand why it hasn't been brought back for NITL when all the other CD ballads made it out.