Thoughts on Street of Dreams?

6 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I don't get why Prostitute isn't played more for this very reason.

It's the most Guns sounding CD song to me.

It's probably because it's vocally taxing and Axl'd cough up a lung. 

Yeah, but then there's SOD which Axl sounded good-great on in every vocal era and it probably sounds at its best when clean and high anyway.

It used to be my fav CD track, it lost some of the initial magic to me but I still love it in some ways. It is exactly what I was expecting from an Axl album and still expects. Id love to have an entire album filled with songs like SoD, Catcher, Madagascar and TiL. 

• Like 1

I think SOD is the pinnacle of Axl’s style of writing and recording. Whatever was happening with Nov Rain and Estranged songwriting wise became fully realised recording wise on SOD. All the layers and plains and tones all became one on SOD. I’m not sure they’ll be anymore layer tracks. 

I loved it the first time I heard it and still do.

It was the 3rd new song we got to hear back at 01-01-01 and Chinese Democracy and Riad both left me very very unimpressed.

Then The Blues finally leaked and I was just floored....sounded very much like an Illusion track and actually sounded like Axl Fucking Rose on vocals.

I don't get too picky about which version sounds "best"....they're all pretty much the same to me since they all have the same vocal track.

Live, I probably like the HoB and Rio versions best cause those are the ones we've had the longest and played the most.   "OK, never mind!"

On a selfish note, as of this writing, the last time it was played live was in Tokyo, 2012, and I was at the show, so if it never resurfaces, I'll be able to say I saw it the last time.

Not that it was ever a rare song.  Every one that saw the band from 2001 to 2012 heard the song live.

18 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I don't get why Prostitute isn't played more for this very reason.

It's the most Guns sounding CD song to me.

It's probably because it's vocally taxing and Axl'd cough up a lung. 

Catcher In The Rye is the most “GNR” sounding CD song, atleast to me.

It kind of reminds me to Yesterdays or Breakdown

On 8/31/2018 at 7:13 PM, Stro said:

Love it, baffled that it was dropped entirely after being a showcase song for most of the prior 15 years. I am a bit frustrated there isn't one perfect version, as the 2001/02 studio version with Bucket's outro solo, Frank's drum roll, and Axl's harmonizing with the guitar before the last chorus would be the ultimate version, but this is the closest thing on CD to a UYI era piece and I can't understand why it hasn't been brought back for NITL when all the other CD ballads made it out.

Personally I don't think it'll ever get played with Slash in the band. I remain convinced that The Blues is absolutely about Slash. 

15 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Personally I don't think it'll ever get played with Slash in the band. I remain convinced that The Blues is absolutely about Slash. 

I too believe it is about Slash. But I don't see why that would be a reason not to play it live. 

Edited by lilacmess

8 minutes ago, Lio said:

LOL, don't tell me you've never read Russ's take on SOD :lol: You should have it in your sig, @RussTCB. You know you have to keep explaining it every few months.

It don't take a lot of explaining, just tell me that shit and let me get a quick glance over the lyrics.  Honestly, I never thought about it, just thought it was a good tune :lol:  

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It don't take a lot of explaining, just tell me that shit and let me get a quick glance over the lyrics.  Honestly, I never thought about it, just thought it was a good tune :lol:  

It is! I don't agree with it being about Slash.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Lio said:

LOL, don't tell me you've never read Russ's take on SOD :lol: You should have it in your sig, @RussTCB. You know you have to keep explaining it every few months.

Haha, I should do that. Every time I post my thoughts on it, I have to take a deep breath and go "......ok.....here we go again...." lol

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Personally, I think all of the lyrics are aimed directly at Slash. And I don't mean they have any sort of homosexual connotations. I think it's all about brotherly love and how let down Axl felt by who Slash turned out to be (in Axl's opinion). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Haha, I should do that. Every time I post my thoughts on it, I have to take a deep breath and go "......ok.....here we go again...." lol

Personally, I think all of the lyrics are aimed directly at Slash. And I don't mean they have any sort of homosexual connotations. I think it's all about brotherly love and how let down Axl felt by who Slash turned out to be (in Axl's opinion). 

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

I always felt like Madagascar and Riad were about Slash and Duff. Them having the role of "Riad and the bedouins". You know, the whole song as a big "fuck you". Especially the first line.

SOD not so much.

But SOD is a great song, one of the few GNR songs even my girlfriend likes. It would have been a great single.

54 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

I always felt like Madagascar and Riad were about Slash and Duff. Them having the role of "Riad and the bedouins". You know, the whole song as a big "fuck you". Especially the first line.

SOD not so much.

But SOD is a great song, one of the few GNR songs even my girlfriend likes. It would have been a great single.

Except that Axl actually wrote out a whole essay saying what and who Riad is about. 

• Like 2

I love the first verse's lyrics, the rest seems a little pop-y, and alright at best, except the very end "what I thought was beautiful, were lies I couldn't see, what I thought was beautiful is only memories". The delivery and vocal performance is out of this World. But, the overproduction brings it down to a pop tune until the solo. That's the issue I feel like with CD.

Great writing in terms of lyrics, vocal performance; but there wasn't a person with strong enough influence to mellow the tracks out, and keep Axl in check from letting his mind run wild. I feel like Robin and Buckethead were told-"I need killer solos."

They did exactly that, but without overriding or putting input on the songs. Sometimes it works, I.e. Madagascar, This I Love, Prositute. SOD is one of the songs where it went wrong.

• GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

"what I thought was beautiful, were lies I couldn't see, what I thought was beautiful is only memories". The delivery and vocal performance is out of this World.

I think these are among my favourite lyrics by Axl, if not my absolute favourite.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1