Thoughts on Madagascar?

Inspired by the other thread.
Madagascar is my favorite song, I think, by the post-Slash band. I can't even explain why. It's just so simple and straight forward and to the point - no bullshit. The lyrics are uplifting. Axl's vocal delivery reminds me almost of Lies - that deep rasp. I only wish the trumpets were real trumpets rather than keyboards and that the song had real drums rather than a loop; it's perfect IMO. It's also I believe the first song Axl wrote lyrically for CD.
What do you guys think?

I think its pretty good.  Shows Axls still got something, if he chooses to use it.  Mind you it was released 10 years ago and probably written a shitload before.  Seems like it could do with another verse but good song.  There's a wonderful 'me against the world' victim quality to it that unforunately permeates Chi Dem but Madagascar is the first time it comes across as bordering on eloquent.  Its got a kind of a Christ complex to it which translates really well musically if you try to forget about the assumed (because they are assumed really) emotionaly realities of where Axls coming from with it.  It seems like the quotes bit was like the centre-piece of the song at the expense of another verse and though I like the quotes bit I do think it kinda feels like periphery and it'd could do with another verse.  But then have another verse and it gets longer and people call it 'bloated' so there's no pleasing everyone.  Nice tune though.  It was the first (and perhaps only, about from TWAT) song from Chi Dem that struck me as actually being alright.  Madagascar, TWAT and Better.  The rest of the album needed some Izzy, Slash and Duff input, fair distribution of labour and all that.

• Like 3

Always one of my favorites from Chi Dem. First I heard it was the VMAs, as bad as the performance was I felt there was something from that song. Then the leaks started and I would listen to it often up until the official release. 

Edited by VORTEX1082

The song has incredible depth and emotion to it; Axl really did manage to convey what it was that he wanted to come across through this song, to the fans, to the world, and to that one particular person. It is one of his babies and given its good performances on this tour, I'm glad that it's been retained as a setlist standard for sometime now. 

• GNFNR 1

Its great. I love that song. Those Pitman keyboard 'spikes' in the verse's aren't my thing and are dated but none the less work for that song. I YEARN for a proper guitar solo!! But the choice of quotes over the solo fit todays world very well, just a sample:

'Everybody's acting like we can do anything and it don't matter what we
Do. Maybe we gotta be extra careful because maybe it matters more than
We even know..

...Hatred isn't somethin' you're born with...

Let's get something straight, alright? This whole thing was fucked up'

• Like 1

it's a good tune. if I remember correctly Axl and Pitman were fuckin' around with synth sounds, Pitman tried different sounds and Axl stopped him when they got to the french horns and came up with the riff dizzy is playing live.

the rock in rio 2001 version has the best vocals in the first couple of verses and the Budapest 2006 version has that great chorus vocals after the mlk speech that was improvised.

Edited by Rovim

Its the number 2 on my list of favorite GN'R songs, second only to Prostitute, by a few things here and there. 
We can pretty much say it's his best vocals in Chidem, and one of the best lyrics, so filled up with emotion, so true... I've always understood the lyrics like his vision about his own life in the late 90's.
And the drums.... :drool: Once i've listened to it ten times in a row just to hear the drums over and over and over again.

It's the closest thing we got from "the general". Just makes me love it even more

It had a lot of potential.  One of the better CD songs whatever that is worth.  I do like the lyrics and vocal melodies.. The drums loops and samples make me want to vomit.. I was hoping that Slash and Duff could kick this song into shape but it is still a fucking mess live. Mostly due to the cluster fuck drums and samples... 

Always thought it sounded like an Illusions reject that got from dropped because it was too boring. 

I’ve alwaya found it interesting that two of the songs Axl loved the most from CD were two of the most generic songs from the album. Maddy and the title track. 

Just now, Apollo said:

Always thought it sounded like an Illusions reject that got from dropped because it was too boring. 

I’ve alwaya found it interesting that two of the songs Axl loved the most from CD were two of the most generic songs from the album. Maddy and the title track. 

Axl seems to be proud of the song, the long rock in rio 2001 introduction and he also chose to sing it in the 2002 mtv awards but he said his favorites are Better, Twat, and Street Of Dreams. also seems to be into Catcher as he wanted to talk about it.

• Like 1

one of the best GNR songs. not sure on the movie/speech snippets in the middle though, cool to hear but kind of break the song in two. a screaming guitar solo would have been my choice.

wasn't there some talk on the forum a while back saying the song was reaching out to ex band members ? or Slash in particular ?

Madagascar, Better and Sorry are 3 gems in the GNR back catalogue which some fans for some reason refuse to accept. their loss. 

15 hours ago, VORTEX1082 said:

Always one of my favorites from Chi Dem. First I hear it was the VMAs, as bad as the performance was I felt there was something from that song. Then the leaks started and I would listen to it often up until the official release. 

I loved it at the MTV awards-I thought Richard was great