Eminem - Kamikaze (08/31/2018 Surprise Album Drop)

RussTCB

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Yep. It's on all streaming platforms starting today.

Tracks 1 - 10 are great. 11 & 12 are garbage. 13 is great so far.

I never listened to the last one for some reason, despite being a huge fan, might have to check this one out, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I never listened to the last one for some reason, despite being a huge fan, might have to check this one out, thanks.

Last album was uneven and so so at best IMO. This one is REALLY strong for the first 10 tracks, then the next two are awful and the last one is OK.

To be fair to him, rap is a young mans game, there are very few older guys in hip hop that, in the long term, maintain quality and 'relevance', this is a big thing in hip hop now, being 'relevant'.  What they really mean is young.  Em' is cool though, Em' has skills for days and would slaughter any number of new rappers today.  ALL of em.  Em' in the right mood and nobody stands up.  But who are your older rappers really still puttin' it in, what Jay, Nas has slowed right down like that...I can't think of anybody, Kanye ain't been around long enough or put in as much work and I hear his last album weren't too hotly recieved.  Hip Hop is a curious mixture of sport and art, there's a competitiveness to it that few genres have had.  I mean there's been inter-personal differences between artists and people have tried to top each other but its never been as centred around competitiveness as hip hop has.  Older quality rappers like Ghost and them, putting it work with respected releases etc just kinda are in their own lane with it and its considered almost like a side thing to the main body of whats going on in hip hop.  Its gonna be interesting to see where it goes as a genre as it ages, I think its on a downturn myself but what do i know.

6 hours ago, Sosso said:

I have lost my interest in Eminem after his first farewell album "Encore". 

For me it was after Relapse (that he ruined with those damn accents :thumbsdown:)

Ive heard a few things after Relapse but i thought the production sucked (IMO) and Em was just yelling.

Also lines like "treat this roof like my daughter and raise it" were just unbearable :lol: 

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

For me it was after Relapse (that he ruined with those damn accents :thumbsdown:)

Ive heard a few things after Relapse but i thought the production sucked (IMO) and Em was just yelling.

Also lines like "treat this roof like my a daughter and raise it" were just unbearable :lol: 

Same here basically.  I am loathe to criticise because i do love the lad and everything he does lyrically is always sick its just...I dunno, we all change and middle aged rich guys just arent really very interesting.  Couple that with my previous comments regarding it being a young mans game and what you are left with is a wordsmith with nothing to say, which is a sort of low level irony.  

Honestly I’ll probably love the guy forever and when hes freestyling or being the supreme MC that he is I am perpetually enthralled...I just dont hear any good songs anymore, thought I’ve yet to listen to this album so maybe he’ll amaze me.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Same here basically.  I am loathe to criticise because i do love the lad and everything he does lyrically is always sick its just...I dunno, we all change and middle aged rich guys just arent really very interesting.  Couple that with my previous comments regarding it being a young mans game and what you are left with is a wordsmith with nothing to say, which is a sort of low level irony.  

Honestly I’ll probably love the guy forever and when hes freestyling or being the supreme MC that he is I am perpetually enthralled...I just dont hear any good songs anymore, thought I’ve yet to listen to this album so maybe he’ll amaze me.

His last album was complete trash, easily his worst album, but since that he put out a remix and did a song with Royce which were surprisingly decent.

He posted a Venom clip the other day, is that a track on this new album or is it for the Venom movie? Won't be able to listen to this for another couple hours...

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

His last album was complete trash, easily his worst album, but since that he put out a remix and did a song with Royce which were surprisingly decent.

He posted a Venom clip the other day, is that a track on this new album or is it for the Venom movie? Won't be able to listen to this for another couple hours...

I heard that tune with Royce, it was sick.

• Like 1

I was getting really optimistic during the opening track because it reminded me of old-school Eminem and, combined with the Beasties artwork, I started to get really excited about the idea of a throwback Slim Shady record.

A few tracks in, my enthusiasm quickly dissipated... I'll give it a few more spins, but I felt like it quickly devolved for a variety of reasons. Also it kinda amuses me that he's going after Tyler the Creator because Flower Boy was better than any record Em has released in many years.

Just listened to it, not bad. Definitely better than Revival, it kinda reminded me of the MMLP2 bonus tracks (which I liked). The Ringer was the best but like Russ said, the first 10 tracks are all pretty good. Good Guy and Nice Guy sound like Revival leftovers, and Venom wasn't bad, but it should've been just 10 tracks and ended with Kamikaze.

Surprisingly good album, I've listened to it about 10 times so far. Still think it should've just been the first 10 tracks, and there are some flaws, but it's definitely his best project in a long time.

On 8/31/2018 at 1:21 PM, Len Cnut said:

I heard that tune with Royce, it was sick.

Have you listened to Kamikaze yet? What do you think of it? The song with Royce is killer. The Ringer is a great way to start the album, one of his best tracks in a while IMO. Fall and Kamikaze are both awesome. Lucky You is one of the best, too.

On 8/31/2018 at 12:49 PM, Wagszilla said:

Did he really have to rip off the License to Ill cover? 

The was my very first thought. If you're going to put out an album with that cover, it better be straight fire all the way through. This album is not.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:55 PM, Estranged Reality said:

I was getting really optimistic during the opening track because it reminded me of old-school Eminem and, combined with the Beasties artwork, I started to get really excited about the idea of a throwback Slim Shady record.

A few tracks in, my enthusiasm quickly dissipated... I'll give it a few more spins, but I felt like it quickly devolved for a variety of reasons. Also it kinda amuses me that he's going after Tyler the Creator because Flower Boy was better than any record Em has released in many years.

I really like every track except 11 & 12.

14 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Normal, Stepping Stone, and Not Alike are a little clunky, but not bad songs.

I'll never listen to Nice Guy and Good Guy ever again in my entire life.

Everything is is solid stuff. Very happy with this release.

Exactly my thoughts on Nice Guy / Good Guy. Those tracks are bad, they're abosolutely TERRIBLE.

I thought the Licensed To Ill cover was like saying "Ok here's a rap album, no Beyonce or Pink shit". Other than those 2 songs with Jessie it's a solid album IMO, been playing the hell outta The Ringer, Lucky You, Greatest, Not Alike, Fall and Kamikaze.

I also think it's funny how easily offended people are by the Tyler diss in Fall. :lol:

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I thought the Licensed To Ill cover was like saying "Ok here's a rap album, no Beyonce or Pink shit". Other than those 2 songs with Jessie it's a solid album IMO, been playing the hell outta The Ringer, Lucky You, Greatest, Not Alike, Fall and Kamikaze.

I also think it's funny how easily offended people are by the Tyler diss in Fall. :lol:

For me (and I think many) it's not so much offense at his use of the word but moreso just like a... "seriously? You're still at this?" 

It feels like we're all just past it. It comes off as at least a little preying on shock value which really isn't there anymore because it's Eminem. And it's one of countless moments on the album where he's lashing out at others for rightfully criticizing the garbage music he's been putting out lately. That's really the main theme of the album. Like someone else mentioned, Tyler just put out an incredible album, so what Em said was also poorly timed.

Edited by Jakey Styley
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

For me (and I think many) it's not so much offense at his use of the word but moreso just like a... "seriously? You're still at this?" 

It feels like we're all just past it. It comes off as at least a little preying on shock value which really isn't there anymore because it's Eminem. And it's one of countless moments on the album where he's lashing out at others for rightfully criticizing the garbage music he's been putting out lately. That's really the main theme of the album. Like someone else mentioned, Tyler just put out an incredible album, so what Em said was also poorly timed.

Fair enough, I don't care for Tyler but yea Em's been bad for a while - but this is a solid album. I've seen plenty of overreactions, and it's Eminem so of course it's for the shock value, which is why I found it assuming. I don't have a problem with the line or how he dissed Tyler in the song tbh, the whole song is him taking shots at other rappers, and it's a good song so whatever. It'd be one thing if he were malicious, but the line is "I see why you call yourself a fagg0t". That's fair game in the genre IMO, even if it's just an attempt at shock value.

On 9/1/2018 at 4:55 AM, Estranged Reality said:

Pretty much my thoughts, the first song is Marshall Mathers LP quality. People always say Nas is a terrible beat picker but Em picks some real stinkers.