Eminem - Kamikaze (08/31/2018 Surprise Album Drop)

RussTCB

19 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I still love that song. Like you that’s the song that made me take notice.

This was the next song I heard with him that made me start checking him out. Real tight verse here. If you can be sandwiched between Daz and Kurupt and still stand out you’re doing good cause those boys have great chemistry together.

That whole album (DP one) is underrated.

49 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

That whole album (DP one) is underrated.

It really is. Lots of good tracks. Gangsta Rap, Just Doggin, Roll Wit Us, Way Too Often, Don’t Stop, Change the Game remix, Smoke.

I love DPG. I remember when I first heard Till I Collapse and thinking, thank God someone name dropped Kurupt as a top mc.

Edited by J Dog
Can’t fucking type today!

6 minutes ago, J Dog said:

It really is. Lots of good tracks. Gangsta Rap, Just Doggin, Roll Wit Us, Way Too Often, Don’t Stop, Change the Game remix, Smoke.

I love DPG. I remember when I first heard Till I Collapse and thinking, thank God someone name dropped Kurupt as a top mc.

Yeah, his albums Kuruption, The Streetz is a Mutha and Space Boogie are top drawer.

• Like 1

I've lost the ability to be objective about Eminem, but I really dig this album. I fucking hated Revival and I got bored of MMLP2 very fast (despite enjoying it a lot while I did), and even though he's super bitter and lashing out against his fading relevance on this album, it's refreshing to hear him speak those thoughts honestly instead of pushing to be a pop star he'll never be. Eminem's worst enemy is his desire to stay number one forever, if he could step back from that and focus more on putting the projects together for himself first and foremost, I think we'd get some really great stuff from him again. This album isn't perfect, but it kind of proves that to me.

• Like 1

Just now, chevelle said:

I've lost the ability to be objective about Eminem, but I really dig this album. I fucking hated Revival and I got bored of MMLP2 very fast (despite enjoying it a lot while I did), and even though he's super bitter and lashing out against his fading relevance on this album, it's refreshing to hear him speak those thoughts honestly instead of pushing to be a pop star he'll never be. Eminem's worst enemy is his desire to stay number one forever, if he could step back from that and focus more on putting the projects together for himself first and foremost, I think we'd get some really great stuff from him again. This album isn't perfect, but it kind of proves that to me.

Pretty much this. He even says things on the album like 'Denaun and Royce tell me that I should take the high road', 'Paul wants me to chill', basically since his comeback he's tried to be this persona that he's not, said he tried to have 'something for everyone' on Revival, and it's refreshing to hear an album where he's basically like 'fuck it, I'm just gonna vent at everyone for 45 mins'. The Ringer kinda reminds me of Rabbit Run (my favourite Eminem song) in its 'stream-of-thought' style, but it's still very 'modern-Em'. Greatest kinda sounds like an updated 'GOAT', Stepping Stone has the perfect early-2000's kinda beat for the subject, the album as a whole brings the nostalgia factor way more than MMLP2 did. But even the songs that are purely modern-Em sounding are good, Lucky You and Not Alike are among the best songs on the album, and Normal is growing on me. I wrote him off after Revival but he's definitely got my attention again.

18 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Pretty much this. He even says things on the album like 'Denaun and Royce tell me that I should take the high road', 'Paul wants me to chill', basically since his comeback he's tried to be this persona that he's not, said he tried to have 'something for everyone' on Revival, and it's refreshing to hear an album where he's basically like 'fuck it, I'm just gonna vent at everyone for 45 mins'. The Ringer kinda reminds me of Rabbit Run (my favourite Eminem song) in its 'stream-of-thought' style, but it's still very 'modern-Em'. Greatest kinda sounds like an updated 'GOAT', Stepping Stone has the perfect early-2000's kinda beat for the subject, the album as a whole brings the nostalgia factor way more than MMLP2 did. But even the songs that are purely modern-Em sounding are good, Lucky You and Not Alike are among the best songs on the album, and Normal is growing on me. I wrote him off after Revival but he's definitely got my attention again.

Spot on man. It's refreshing to hear a decent balance of older-sounding Em plus some modern, updated production on some of these songs, it's way better than hearing him aim at an audience that really isn't even out there for him. And man, Stepping Stone made me feel nostalgic on first listen because it sounded straight off of Encore, he really nailed that one mood-wise. I hope he keeps this same fire and fine-tunes some of the missteps (like some of those god awful hooks on Greatest and Venom) of Kamikaze, without wasting time tinkering around in the studio. 

4 minutes ago, chevelle said:

Spot on man. It's refreshing to hear a decent balance of older-sounding Em plus some modern, updated production on some of these songs, it's way better than hearing him aim at an audience that really isn't even out there for him. And man, Stepping Stone made me feel nostalgic on first listen because it sounded straight off of Encore, he really nailed that one mood-wise. I hope he keeps this same fire and fine-tunes some of the missteps (like some of those god awful hooks on Greatest and Venom) of Kamikaze, without wasting time tinkering around in the studio. 

Yea the hooks are the low-points on several songs, I wish he'd utilize Yelawolf on a hook or two (he's still on Shady Records for now). I'm hoping the rumours of more music are true and he just puts out like 8-9 songs including an MGK diss and adds a few skits and keeps "trying 2 not overthink this 1". Outside the last 3 songs, Kamikaze is the most cohesive of his albums since his prime.

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea the hooks are the low-points on several songs, I wish he'd utilize Yelawolf on a hook or two (he's still on Shady Records for now). I'm hoping the rumours of more music are true and he just puts out like 8-9 songs including an MGK diss and adds a few skits and keeps "trying 2 not overthink this 1". Outside the last 3 songs, Kamikaze is the most cohesive of his albums since his prime.

That actually brings me to something else, too. Every album of his since his comeback has been absolutely overstuffed with music, and most of them could be very excellent albums had the fat been trimmed appropriately. Kamikaze works so well because, like you said, it's cohesive, but also because it doesn't last long enough to overstay its welcome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chevelle said:

That actually brings me to something else, too. Every album of his since his comeback has been absolutely overstuffed with music, and most of them could be very excellent albums had the fat been trimmed appropriately. Kamikaze works so well because, like you said, it's cohesive, but also because it doesn't last long enough to overstay its welcome.

Yea, I keep replaying the album because I get to the end and think 'damn, it's over already?'. I hope he stops with the long albums, 40~ minutes of cohesive material is so much better than 70 minutes with 'something for everyone'.

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

How can anyone listen to Em's shit on here and criticise him for rhymes or lack of content is beyond me.  Shit, the guys made an entire album more or less addressing the state of the industry and they're saying its lacking content, what content exactly do you want?

8 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

It is growing on me I really like Kamikaze but also feel its time for him to bow out on a high  

People make their fuckin' minds up before listening to shit these days, that what it is.  Its the fast forward generation, the track skipping generation, the not really caring but wanting to get in the conversation too generation.  I'm part of it too, though in a slightly different way, I never even listened to Revivial, despite being a huge Em' fan.  Recovery too really.  Recovery I heard bits and bobs of, Revival I didn't even listen to even a little bit and I gotta say bad reviews probably did half the work.  Not that I think Recovery was shit, its good for what it is, its just not really my thing.  But a lot of people (speaking broadly here, not you personally) kinda have these fully formed opinions on shit that they don't even really give a chance or just listened to one time through just for the sake of being able to have an opinion on it. 

18 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I have listened to all the albums in full but I grew up on old school Eminem that's the shit I like man but you gotta appreciate that the dudes not on drugs any more artists and people move on and grow.

Its like if Axl wrote a song now like So Easy it just wouldn't be right would it ?

Em' can still do vicious raps though because rap generally is about hyperbolic bragging.  Anger isn't exclusive to youth.  It'd be phoney is Em' was angry rapping about the streets or being poor or living in a trailer but he's not and thats not the limits of anger.  And the heart of MCing is bragging, bragging about your skills.  Em's in a weird space with that though because unlike most MCs he's kinda not very...bothered about money, riches etc.  I mean he dresses real simple, doesn't have a lot of jewels, wears G Shock watches and shit.  There's a funny story where he called up Paul after The Marshal Mathers LP and asked him whether he could afford a Rolex :lol:  Then he wore it a few times and hardly ever did again cuz he was worried he'd damage it.  So he kinda, by being himself, blocks out a lot of the obvious things for a rich man to rap about.

4 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I have listened to all the albums in full but I grew up on old school Eminem that's the shit I like man but you gotta appreciate that the dudes not on drugs any more artists and people move on and grow.

Its like if Axl wrote a song now like So Easy it just wouldn't be right would it ?

Do you mean quality-wise, or content-wise? Because how can you long for something like the "old school" artist, but then reference a song they made in the early days and say it wouldn't be right if they made a song like that again...

People need to stop comparing artist's newer albums with their earlier stuff, whether they ride the coattails of their earlier work or not. Not talking about you or anyone in this thread specifically, but I hear and read so much stuff where people say "Yeah but if you go and listen to (insert album here), it's so much better." Is Metallica's ...And Justice For All a better album than Death Magnetic? Yeah, of course, but the latter is a pretty damn solid album. Same goes for Kamikaze here.

The past is dead, bury it.