Jump to content
RussTCB

Eminem - Kamikaze (08/31/2018 Surprise Album Drop)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

I wish Crooked handled his career a little different. He was a beast.

I remember hearing that guy first on Too Gangsta For Radio, that little Death Row mixtape from the early 00s.  Or was it mid, i forget.  Anyway, he was the only worthwhile thing on that whole album full of Snoop fakes and Pac immitators like The Realest and Top Dogg.  He did this track Death Rizzo, was pretty cool:

 

The beat ain't all that but the flow really made me take notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I remember hearing that guy first on Too Gangsta For Radio, that little Death Row mixtape from the early 00s.  Or was it mid, i forget.  Anyway, he was the only worthwhile thing on that whole album full of Snoop fakes and Pac immitators like The Realest and Top Dogg.  He did this track Death Rizzo, was pretty cool:

 

The beat ain't all that but the flow really made me take notice.

I still love that song. Like you that’s the song that made me take notice.

This was the next song I heard with him that made me start checking him out. Real tight verse here. If you can be sandwiched between Daz and Kurupt and still stand out you’re doing good cause those boys have great chemistry together.

 

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I still love that song. Like you that’s the song that made me take notice.

This was the next song I heard with him that made me start checking him out. Real tight verse here. If you can be sandwiched between Daz and Kurupt and still stand out you’re doing good cause those boys have great chemistry together.

 

That whole album (DP one) is underrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

That whole album (DP one) is underrated.

It really is. Lots of good tracks. Gangsta Rap, Just Doggin, Roll Wit Us, Way Too Often, Don’t Stop, Change the Game remix, Smoke.

I love DPG. I remember when I first heard Till I Collapse and thinking, thank God someone name dropped Kurupt as a top mc.

Edited by J Dog
Can’t fucking type today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, J Dog said:

It really is. Lots of good tracks. Gangsta Rap, Just Doggin, Roll Wit Us, Way Too Often, Don’t Stop, Change the Game remix, Smoke.

I love DPG. I remember when I first heard Till I Collapse and thinking, thank God someone name dropped Kurupt as a top mc.

Yeah, his albums Kuruption, The Streetz is a Mutha and Space Boogie are top drawer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've lost the ability to be objective about Eminem, but I really dig this album. I fucking hated Revival and I got bored of MMLP2 very fast (despite enjoying it a lot while I did), and even though he's super bitter and lashing out against his fading relevance on this album, it's refreshing to hear him speak those thoughts honestly instead of pushing to be a pop star he'll never be. Eminem's worst enemy is his desire to stay number one forever, if he could step back from that and focus more on putting the projects together for himself first and foremost, I think we'd get some really great stuff from him again. This album isn't perfect, but it kind of proves that to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chevelle said:

I've lost the ability to be objective about Eminem, but I really dig this album. I fucking hated Revival and I got bored of MMLP2 very fast (despite enjoying it a lot while I did), and even though he's super bitter and lashing out against his fading relevance on this album, it's refreshing to hear him speak those thoughts honestly instead of pushing to be a pop star he'll never be. Eminem's worst enemy is his desire to stay number one forever, if he could step back from that and focus more on putting the projects together for himself first and foremost, I think we'd get some really great stuff from him again. This album isn't perfect, but it kind of proves that to me.

Pretty much this. He even says things on the album like 'Denaun and Royce tell me that I should take the high road', 'Paul wants me to chill', basically since his comeback he's tried to be this persona that he's not, said he tried to have 'something for everyone' on Revival, and it's refreshing to hear an album where he's basically like 'fuck it, I'm just gonna vent at everyone for 45 mins'. The Ringer kinda reminds me of Rabbit Run (my favourite Eminem song) in its 'stream-of-thought' style, but it's still very 'modern-Em'. Greatest kinda sounds like an updated 'GOAT', Stepping Stone has the perfect early-2000's kinda beat for the subject, the album as a whole brings the nostalgia factor way more than MMLP2 did. But even the songs that are purely modern-Em sounding are good, Lucky You and Not Alike are among the best songs on the album, and Normal is growing on me. I wrote him off after Revival but he's definitely got my attention again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Pretty much this. He even says things on the album like 'Denaun and Royce tell me that I should take the high road', 'Paul wants me to chill', basically since his comeback he's tried to be this persona that he's not, said he tried to have 'something for everyone' on Revival, and it's refreshing to hear an album where he's basically like 'fuck it, I'm just gonna vent at everyone for 45 mins'. The Ringer kinda reminds me of Rabbit Run (my favourite Eminem song) in its 'stream-of-thought' style, but it's still very 'modern-Em'. Greatest kinda sounds like an updated 'GOAT', Stepping Stone has the perfect early-2000's kinda beat for the subject, the album as a whole brings the nostalgia factor way more than MMLP2 did. But even the songs that are purely modern-Em sounding are good, Lucky You and Not Alike are among the best songs on the album, and Normal is growing on me. I wrote him off after Revival but he's definitely got my attention again.

Spot on man. It's refreshing to hear a decent balance of older-sounding Em plus some modern, updated production on some of these songs, it's way better than hearing him aim at an audience that really isn't even out there for him. And man, Stepping Stone made me feel nostalgic on first listen because it sounded straight off of Encore, he really nailed that one mood-wise. I hope he keeps this same fire and fine-tunes some of the missteps (like some of those god awful hooks on Greatest and Venom) of Kamikaze, without wasting time tinkering around in the studio. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chevelle said:

Spot on man. It's refreshing to hear a decent balance of older-sounding Em plus some modern, updated production on some of these songs, it's way better than hearing him aim at an audience that really isn't even out there for him. And man, Stepping Stone made me feel nostalgic on first listen because it sounded straight off of Encore, he really nailed that one mood-wise. I hope he keeps this same fire and fine-tunes some of the missteps (like some of those god awful hooks on Greatest and Venom) of Kamikaze, without wasting time tinkering around in the studio. 

Yea the hooks are the low-points on several songs, I wish he'd utilize Yelawolf on a hook or two (he's still on Shady Records for now). I'm hoping the rumours of more music are true and he just puts out like 8-9 songs including an MGK diss and adds a few skits and keeps "trying 2 not overthink this 1". Outside the last 3 songs, Kamikaze is the most cohesive of his albums since his prime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea the hooks are the low-points on several songs, I wish he'd utilize Yelawolf on a hook or two (he's still on Shady Records for now). I'm hoping the rumours of more music are true and he just puts out like 8-9 songs including an MGK diss and adds a few skits and keeps "trying 2 not overthink this 1". Outside the last 3 songs, Kamikaze is the most cohesive of his albums since his prime.

That actually brings me to something else, too. Every album of his since his comeback has been absolutely overstuffed with music, and most of them could be very excellent albums had the fat been trimmed appropriately. Kamikaze works so well because, like you said, it's cohesive, but also because it doesn't last long enough to overstay its welcome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chevelle said:

That actually brings me to something else, too. Every album of his since his comeback has been absolutely overstuffed with music, and most of them could be very excellent albums had the fat been trimmed appropriately. Kamikaze works so well because, like you said, it's cohesive, but also because it doesn't last long enough to overstay its welcome.

Yea, I keep replaying the album because I get to the end and think 'damn, it's over already?'. I hope he stops with the long albums, 40~ minutes of cohesive material is so much better than 70 minutes with 'something for everyone'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite frankly even The Eminem Show went on a bit, as brilliant as it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really like this album but good guy and nice guy didn't need to be on there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shit, so my initial response in this thread was correct, he ain’t gonna respond...at least not right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I guess that means MGK wins?

To me its sort of like that prison midget on youtube that keeps offering out Billy Joe Saunders, Bill ain't takin' an L if he don't face him :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

How can anyone listen to Em's shit on here and criticise him for rhymes or lack of content is beyond me.  Shit, the guys made an entire album more or less addressing the state of the industry and they're saying its lacking content, what content exactly do you want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

How can anyone listen to Em's shit on here and criticise him for rhymes or lack of content is beyond me.  Shit, the guys made an entire album more or less addressing the state of the industry and they're saying its lacking content, what content exactly do you want?

It is growing on me I really like Kamikaze but also feel its time for him to bow out on a high  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

It is growing on me I really like Kamikaze but also feel its time for him to bow out on a high  

People make their fuckin' minds up before listening to shit these days, that what it is.  Its the fast forward generation, the track skipping generation, the not really caring but wanting to get in the conversation too generation.  I'm part of it too, though in a slightly different way, I never even listened to Revivial, despite being a huge Em' fan.  Recovery too really.  Recovery I heard bits and bobs of, Revival I didn't even listen to even a little bit and I gotta say bad reviews probably did half the work.  Not that I think Recovery was shit, its good for what it is, its just not really my thing.  But a lot of people (speaking broadly here, not you personally) kinda have these fully formed opinions on shit that they don't even really give a chance or just listened to one time through just for the sake of being able to have an opinion on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

People make their fuckin' minds up before listening to shit these days, that what it is.  Its the fast forward generation, the track skipping generation, the not really caring but wanting to get in the conversation too generation.  I'm part of it too, though in a slightly different way, I never even listened to Revivial, despite being a huge Em' fan.  Recovery too really.  Recovery I heard bits and bobs of, Revival I didn't even listen to even a little bit and I gotta say bad reviews probably did half the work.  Not that I think Recovery was shit, its good for what it is, its just not really my thing.  But a lot of people (speaking broadly here, not you personally) kinda have these fully formed opinions on shit that they don't even really give a chance or just listened to one time through just for the sake of being able to have an opinion on it. 

I have listened to all the albums in full but I grew up on old school Eminem that's the shit I like man but you gotta appreciate that the dudes not on drugs any more artists and people move on and grow.

 

Its like if Axl wrote a song now like So Easy it just wouldn't be right would it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I have listened to all the albums in full but I grew up on old school Eminem that's the shit I like man but you gotta appreciate that the dudes not on drugs any more artists and people move on and grow.

 

Its like if Axl wrote a song now like So Easy it just wouldn't be right would it ?

Em' can still do vicious raps though because rap generally is about hyperbolic bragging.  Anger isn't exclusive to youth.  It'd be phoney is Em' was angry rapping about the streets or being poor or living in a trailer but he's not and thats not the limits of anger.  And the heart of MCing is bragging, bragging about your skills.  Em's in a weird space with that though because unlike most MCs he's kinda not very...bothered about money, riches etc.  I mean he dresses real simple, doesn't have a lot of jewels, wears G Shock watches and shit.  There's a funny story where he called up Paul after The Marshal Mathers LP and asked him whether he could afford a Rolex :lol:  Then he wore it a few times and hardly ever did again cuz he was worried he'd damage it.  So he kinda, by being himself, blocks out a lot of the obvious things for a rich man to rap about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×