"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

20 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I never understood the hate for his voice in 2001-2002. Very powerful.

2017-2018 was so weak. I'm a long time Axl fan, and I cannot listen to an entire show.

To be fair, when his voice was 'off' in 01-02 it was pretty bad. I remember the Asian shows being particularly bad, and at least a couple shows on the US leg were pretty weak. But he could still sound great, too - LALD, KOHD, Nov Rain, RQ, and the CD songs were all stellar in 2002. Overall, he was much better than '17-18.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

To be fair, when his voice was 'off' in 01-02 it was pretty bad. I remember the Asian shows being particularly bad, and at least a couple shows on the US leg were pretty weak. But he could still sound great, too - LALD, KOHD, Nov Rain, RQ, and the CD songs were all stellar in 2002. Overall, he was much better than '17-18.

The Asian shows were terrible, I agree. The IEM recordings are a waste of a download.

Vocally, I'd take any gig from the NA tour of 2002 over 2017-2018 NITL.

Man, I wish Chinese Democracy would have been released back then.

Cranking the illusions back to front with my mate here, choking down a bottle of JD.  

Havent listend to both albums back to back in about ten years.

anyone remember the first time they heard guns music?

17 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Probably grasping for straws here, but I feel like Axl got the idea/inspiration for the line "Cause I think we've seen that movie too" from an Elton John song called 'I've Seen That Movie Too'. It makes sense given that Axl is a huge fan.

Yeah... possibly hahahahaha.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, megaguns1982 said:

Cranking the illusions back to front with my mate here, choking down a bottle of JD.  

Yep still crank those albums on a saturday night at home, pity the neighbours who had to hear. Funny thing about 12 months ago i was at a pub having dinner and a few drinks with the ex and the pub was playing UYI1 front to back on their sound system.

1 hour ago, megaguns1982 said:

It's been forever since I looked through the cd booklets, but isn't Elton credited for that?

27 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Listening to the San Diego 2017 IEM and I don't know if it was the mixing or if Axl had an off night, but this sounds like shit. 

That's basically 2017-2018 Axl. That night was even better than The Forum IMO, and he still sounds like shit. Unfortunately Axl took the easy route this past two years

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 10:11 AM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Probably grasping for straws here, but I feel like Axl got the idea/inspiration for the line "Cause I think we've seen that movie too" from an Elton John song called 'I've Seen That Movie Too'. It makes sense given that Axl is a huge fan.

That's possible, considering Axl gives thanks to Elton and his "lover" in the liner notes on YCBM.

• Like 1