"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

13 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I cringe more at the thought of slash being onstage with ashba as either acsecond or third guitarist and thats something axl considered!

I still have residual cringe from when Slash appeared at the Superbowl with Fergie, sparkly tophat and all, to perform SCOM.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yes a i agree with that....hasnt he also done something with rhianna?.

This gets mentioned alot and people usually seem suprised to hear about it. Here it is for anyone who hasn't heard it.

This was also around the time Fortus was in her band, before the CD tour started again.

5 minutes ago, Stro said:

Doing things with artists from other genres or even doing things just for money is not selling out unless you're breaking your principles to do it. I'm not sure why Slash doing things with MJ, Rhianna, or Fergie is selling out.

The Fergie thing wasn't necessarily selling out, it's just that anything involving any of the Black Eyed Peas is pure cringe. Although having said that, Beautiful Dangerous is a great song.

15 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Goddammit, I hated that. 

I probably would have hated it too, but the Packers won the Super Bowl that year so I view it in a positive light :lol:

Unrelated to your post, the entirety of Locomotive and the end section of Coma are Axl's finest moments as a lyricist.

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

At the risk of sounding like an ass-kisser, the outro of Prostitute is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard.

It is, but I think the live outro from 2017 is even better, with more piano and less synth!

• Like 1

With like a 10-year delay (absolutely normal in my life, which is nice, cause it’s kinda like Axl, right?), I thought of this this morning: 
A new GNR song title: You Could Have Been There at Nine
Awesome, isn’t it!? 
Yeah! 

Ok, I’ll have my coffee now. It’s 8 am, and I have a hangover. 
Greetings from the Czech Republic. Have a nice day.

10 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Definitely, maybe one of the earlier '93 shows, by the end, Axls voice just sounds tired. He starts developing that mid-range whine, which eventually would become the 2002 Mickey. 

Hmmmm. I don't know if I agree with that.. The Argentina shows were the last two and I thought Axl sounded phenomenal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Hmmmm. I don't know if I agree with that.. The Argentina shows were the last two and I thought Axl sounded phenomenal. 

listen to SCOM from the Saskatoon show, and then compare with something like the Oklahoma show from the year before. It sounds strained. He sounds closer to what he did at RIR II than the Chicago, Tokyo or Oklahoma shows. 

His voice in '93 definitely still had power, hell the vocals on TSI? and Sympathy For The Devil are among the best studio vocals he's ever recorded, but he did sound tired in a live setting... his voice had drastically thinned out from the chainsaw rasp of '91 and '92, it was clearly heading toward a thinner, cleaner sound.

Leeds 2002 is pretty weird, Axl is flat literally the entire show, but in a good mood and has more interaction with Bucket than I've seen on any other show, and besides Robin butchering the solo in SOD, the band is on fire with some of the best takes on the classics from both Bucket and Robin. Vocally it might be the worst of the 2002 tour and it's not like...he can't hit notes, or doesn't have power, he's just flat on every song. He also changes some melodies or adds some stuff I've literally never heard on any other show, which makes it more of a bummer that he's completely flat all show.

There was a discussion about a weird video of soldiers killing people and general war imagery, well, that plays during WTTJ at this show if you want to look it up. It is pretty odd. I assume it's the same video that was talked about unless there were multiple "uncomfortable war videos playing in an unrelated song at the start of a show" videos from around this time.

7 hours ago, Stro said:

Leeds 2002 is pretty weird, Axl is flat literally the entire show, but in a good mood and has more interaction with Bucket than I've seen on any other show, and besides Robin butchering the solo in SOD, the band is on fire with some of the best takes on the classics from both Bucket and Robin. Vocally it might be the worst of the 2002 tour and it's not like...he can't hit notes, or doesn't have power, he's just flat on every song. He also changes some melodies or adds some stuff I've literally never heard on any other show, which makes it more of a bummer that he's completely flat all show.

Thanks to this show, I'm not able to listen to Patience without hearing "HE'S IN MY ASS, THAT'S WHERE SLASH IS!"

2002 was fun.

On 1/29/2019 at 4:33 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

His voice in '93 definitely still had power, hell the vocals on TSI? and Sympathy For The Devil are among the best studio vocals he's ever recorded, but he did sound tired in a live setting... his voice had drastically thinned out from the chainsaw rasp of '91 and '92, it was clearly heading toward a thinner, cleaner sound.

Wasn't most of TSI recorded in '91 and '92?

But anyway, I always felt Axl sounded better in '93 than '92. A lot of '92 feels like Axl on autopilot to me. He sounds fine, but there just isn't that passion in his voice. '93 felt like he was having more fun and he cared more.

1 hour ago, Gunner927 said:

Wasn't most of TSI recorded in '91 and '92?

But anyway, I always felt Axl sounded better in '93 than '92. A lot of '92 feels like Axl on autopilot to me. He sounds fine, but there just isn't that passion in his voice. '93 felt like he was having more fun and he cared more.

6(?) of the songs were recorded during the UYI sessions but I was referring to just the tracks recorded in '93 - Since I Don't Have You, Human Being, Look At Your Game, Girl... and I can't tell if Hair Of The Dog was '92 or '93 but definitely seems post-UYI sessions.

In '92 he had frequent voice troubles, but when he was 'on' he sounded better than he did in '93 IMO. For example, Paris or Chicago '92 are better than most '93 shows, vocally.