"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 6:02 PM, duffgnr86 said:

What happened to Axl's voice would always be a mistery to me 

2006 wasn't even his best NuGNR year voice-wise, in my opinion. Sure, in 2006/2007 he had an awesome voice and a pretty great look and dangerous attitude, but when it came to vocals, 2010 Axl had the goods.

I don't quite know how to explain it, but his raspy voice sounds a lot 'fuller' in 2010 than in 2006.

The only negative point about 2010 Axl was the god-awful walrus moustache and the weight gain. Other than that, he sounded generally phenomenal.

17 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'm working on this big piece covering Axl's rise, fall, and redemption. Anyone know when he moved to L.A.? I'm pretty sure it was 1981 but I'm not certain

He started travelling when he was 17/18, and probably started living on and off in Hollywood from 1980. 

Axl: "I've been out here [=Los Angeles] on and off since '80, and then I was in here straight from '81, you know solid" [Interview with Steve Harris, December 1987].

He moved back to Lafayette in the summer of 1982, though, and then returned to Hollywood with his girlfriend Gina in December 1982. 

More here: http://www.a-4-d.com/t2847-the-history-of-guns-n-roses-in-their-own-words#11230

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

He started travelling when he was 17/18, and probably started living on and off in Hollywood from 1980. 

Axl: "I've been out here [=Los Angeles] on and off since '80, and then I was in here straight from '81, you know solid" [Interview with Steve Harris, December 1987].

He moved back to Lafayette in the summer of 1982, though, and then returned to Hollywood with his girlfriend Gina in December 1982. 

More here: http://www.a-4-d.com/t2847-the-history-of-guns-n-roses-in-their-own-words#11230

Thanks dude, can I use your site as a source? 

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

THank u so much 4 this. I really appreciate it, cause it gives so much insight and it's been so much work, to put it together!

Edited by HWolllert
  • GNFNR 1

This is my "general musing" and only contribution to this thread.

Axl's almost 60.

There's been 1 studio album of original material since 91. Alot of you don't count it, but I do. Thought it was a mixed bag due to the mixing, but still loved alot of it (This I Love, There Was A Time, Street of Dreams ect). Most of those tracks were recorded originally years before George Bush Jr. and 9/11. It was just delayed and recorded by additional musicans for no justfiable reason for a few years later.

This is 2019 now. Face it, there isn't going to be album and if there was, you'd fucking hate it. I'd probably hate it too, because it'd probably sound like a generic Rolling Stones tracks written by someone in their 70's and not as a rebellious fuck you rock star going on about getting high and his ex's in his 20's.

Accept that Guns is what it is. A legendary band from yesteryear and stop hoping for an album.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 3

I would totaly prefer an album that fits their age, so to speak. 

A true statement, not trying to be something they aren't anymore.

But I don't think that is what we're getting (if anything).

What do you think, are they talking about this openly with each other? There must be talk about the concept and direction of a new album if they really wanna do it, but do you think they are really honest to each other and themselves when it comes to these questions?

Edited by El Guapo

13 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

This is my "general musing" and only contribution to this thread.

Axl's almost 60.

There's been 1 studio album of original material since 91. Alot of you don't count it, but I do. Thought it was a mixed bag due to the mixing, but still loved alot of it (This I Love, There Was A Time, Street of Dreams ect). Most of those tracks were recorded originally years before George Bush Jr. and 9/11. It was just delayed and recorded by additional musicans for no justfiable reason for a few years later.

This is 2019 now. Face it, there isn't going to be album and if there was, you'd fucking hate it. I'd probably hate it too, because it'd probably sound like a generic Rolling Stones tracks written by someone in their 70's and not as a rebellious fuck you rock star going on about getting high and his ex's in his 20's.

Accept that Guns is what it is. A legendary band from yesteryear and stop hoping for an album.

Meh. You have a lot of cool albums from bands that are way past their prime. Black Sabbath’s “13”, Kiss’ “Monster”, Iron Maiden’s “Speed Of Light” and Metallica’s “Hardwired: to Self-Destruct” are all great albums. But most important, they made their fanbases happy. GNR is not making their fanbase happy by not releasing shit. All of these albums are from 2010 or newer. I think GN’R can pull off one of these without a doubt. All the wasted years are not coming back, but it’s not too late for great music.

That’s just a cheap excuse IMO

Black Sabbath’s “13”, Kiss’ “Monster”, Iron Maiden’s “Speed Of Light” and Metallica’s “Hardwired: to Self-Destruct” are all great albums.

Would anybody take em over their peak work? 

20 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'm working on this big piece covering Axl's rise, fall, and redemption. Anyone know when he moved to L.A.? I'm pretty sure it was 1981 but I'm not certain

What redemption? :lol: 

"Sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse" Jingles in my head every time I wish for new music. I'm still hopeful but It's kinda funny that 2 of the Big 3 are now releasing solo albums 2yrs after the reunion. It's almost sad Guns are back together yet were only getting solo albums so far. Please GNR get in the studio soon! "May sound funny but you think by now I'd be smiling.. I guess somethings never change" The answer is all in the song he sad it himself. 

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I dunno, thats why I was asking, I never heard any of their stuff, I just took one look at em and thought nah, fuck that.

To someone who has never heard a Kiss song, just listen to a World Without Heroes.  That is their masterpiece.  Ok, I can't do that to you, that song is unbelievably awful.  

5 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

To someone who has never heard a Kiss song, just listen to a World Without Heroes.  That is their masterpiece.  Ok, I can't do that to you, that song is unbelievably awful.  

Friend of mine once bought a fuckload of albums in a jumble sale and there was a Kiss one, a double album, there was some right bollocks in there, Abba, Bruce Springsteen, Garth Brooks, it all got a listen but Kiss escaped the net for some reason.  They just look thoroughly disinteresting, I mean I love a gimmick as much as the next man but its gotta have a bit about it, a bit of flair and dare, as opposed to four dirty great yanks done up like malevolent meathead mimes.

Edited by Len Cnut

22 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Friend of mine once bought a fuckload of albums in a jumble sale and there was a Kiss one, a double album, there was some right bollocks in there, Abba, Bruce Springsteen, Garth Brooks, it all got a listen but Kiss escaped the net for some reason.  They just look thoroughly disinteresting, I mean I love a gimmick as much as the next man but its gotta have a bit about it, a bit of flair and dare, as opposed to four dirty great yanks done up like malevolent meathead mimes.

I don't think Alice Cooper has ever forgiven them for nicking his idea and copying him.

Just now, lame ass security said:

I don't think Alice Cooper has ever forgiven them for nicking his idea and copying him.

I actually remember reading an interview where initially they were glam and they saw The Dolls and decided they could never top that so they went and nicked Alices schtick instead.

25 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Kiss are one of the acts that have never really been something the English people have liked. It is curious how you mention Garth Brooks as he is another one. Kiss, Garth Brooks, Dave Matthews, Tool.