"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

17 hours ago, Stro said:

Add:

Reckless Life

Fall to Pieces (if they'll do Slither, FTP isn't completely out of the question imo)

Yes please.. I had quite a buzz last night and watched the Reckless Life performance from the Ritz like 5 times in a row...  

It's a short up tempo rocker that he can yell his way through and sound great like he does on Shadow. In fact, I'd probably put them back to back. 

For sure the order needs to be adjusted a bit, I might even say do Shadow/RL in the spot where Estranged is now, do Patience/Dont Cry earlier in the set, and do Estranged as the encore while the stage is still dark. Ultimately it doesn't really matter, people at the shows don't give a shit about the set list but it might be interesting to see if it changes the energy and flow a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Will Slash & Duff put there infinite solo careers on hold when it comes the time to record new music & put another Guns record out? Just seems like they are set in a system of doing stuff, I get the guys don't like to be at home much, but will they reorganize their priorities when its time to drop another album?

58 minutes ago, Edward Nygma said:

Will Slash & Duff put there infinite solo careers on hold when it comes the time to record new music & put another Guns record out? Just seems like they are set in a system of doing stuff, I get the guys don't like to be at home much, but will they reorganize their priorities when its time to drop another album?

Hope so. We’ve had enough about their solo careers. It would be annoying as a fuck if they keep working and promoting their solo stuff while working on a GNR new album, IDK.

Edited by Derick
  • Like 2

On 6/12/2019 at 12:15 AM, Live Like a Suicide said:

If they keep Shadow, i doubt they would add Reckless. Similarly, i think they would keep Slither rather than introduce Fall to Pieces. Just easier that way. If they must keep doing covers though, i would like them to reintroduce Marseilles. 

I hope they add dust in the wind as a cover instead of Layla/wish you were here before November Rain

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 8:21 PM, Stro said:

If GNR does the festival circuit without any new music (which is almost assuredly at 100% chance of happen if only because with new music they can do another year or two or three of touring) I don't expect many if any set changes but some small, doable ones I'd like:

Cut: 

Coma

10 minutes of the RQ solo

Black Hole Sun

Add:

Street of Dreams (at least a couple of tries)

Reckless Life

Fall to Pieces (if they'll do Slither, FTP isn't completely out of the question imo)

Why do so many people on here want FTP to be played? I'm genuinely curious, given they already play Yesterdays, what's the point of playing another band's song that is basically just a rewrite of a GnR tune? 

On 6/14/2019 at 12:17 PM, ApacheChief42 said:

Is there a performance of TWAT where Slash doesn’t completely butcher the solos? It’s hard to find one with good Axl vocals but I swear I’ve never heard Slash nail the solos.

I am totally biased, however I thought Slash did a decent job on There Was A Time at the 2016  San Diego show

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 10:17 PM, ApacheChief42 said:

Is there a performance of TWAT where Slash doesn’t completely butcher the solos? It’s hard to find one with good Axl vocals but I swear I’ve never heard Slash nail the solos.

To me, not really. I like Slash's interpretations of most of the Chinese tunes even if I prefer the original studio versions. For There Was A Time, Slash tried to keep it close to how Bucket played it, but he plays bits n' pieces of it, sections of it that are not in the order that they were recorded. It's kinda messy. I think if he actually put some time into listening to the outro and playing along to it while not on tour, he could have made it sound really cool. He doesn't seem to remember the solo well enough to do it justice.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Rovim said:

To me, not really. I like Slash's interpretations of most of the Chinese tunes even if I prefer the original studio versions. For There Was A Time, Slash tried to keep it close to how Bucket played it, but he plays bits n' pieces of it, sections of it that are not in the order that they were recorded. It's kinda messy. I think if he actually put some time into listening to the outro and playing along to it while not on tour, he could have made it sound really cool. He doesn't seem to remember the solo well enough to do it justice.

He doesn't care about it. And that's how it sounds.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Why do so many people on here want FTP to be played? I'm genuinely curious, given they already play Yesterdays, what's the point of playing another band's song that is basically just a rewrite of a GnR tune? 

I think it would be interesting to hear, as it's the most GNR song VR put out, and hearing it with Axl would seem right, or at least cool. Especially as it started its infancy as a GNR song anyway. I'd rather hear them do FTP than Yesterdays even if just for the novelty of it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, El Guapo said:

He doesn't care about it. And that's how it sounds.

Yeah, but I think he's into the song. It's just he's not used to have to play solos which were composed by other guitarists. Bumble took the time to actually learn how to play the outro and it sounded great after Chinese came out. (still lacked Bucket's tone and feel though)

Overall, I thought Slash did a decent job with most of the Chinese solos. Did a great job playing Chinese Democracy the song which I think is his favorite from the record. I've heard really good versions of Sorry, he improvised the This I Love solo and overplays it but again I've heard versions which were cool, like he Godfathere'd it. Catcher is a little messy but not bad, Madagascar sounds fine with Slash (even came up with a little riff for it as well)

and for Better he came up with his own solo for it which fits even if it isn't as good as Robin's original imo. There Was A Time is the only one where he went full lazy on Bucket's outro. The short Robin solo in the middle of the song is played nicely. Prostitute sounds powerful with Slash.

Edited by Rovim

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

Yeah, but I think he's into the song. It's just he's not used to have to play solos which were composed by other guitarists. Bumble took the time to actually learn how to play the outro and it sounded great after Chinese came out. (still lacked Bucket's tone and feel though)

Overall, I thought Slash did a decent job with most of the Chinese solos. Did a great job playing Chinese Democracy the song which I think is his favorite from the record. I've heard really good versions of Sorry, he improvised the This I Love solo and overplays it but again I've heard versions which were cool, like he Godfathere'd it. Catcher is a little messy but not bad, Madagascar sounds fine with Slash (even came up with a little riff for it as well)

and for Better he came up with his own solo for it which fits even if it isn't as good as Robin's original imo. There Was A Time is the only one where he went full lazy on Bucket's outro. The short Robin solo in the middle of the song is played nicely. Prostitute sounds powerful with Slash.

Prostitute sounds powerful with Slash.

i thought it sounded powerful when they played it in hartford, which i think is on youtube.

I would like a full Bond theme cover album

Richard's version of the main theme

You Know My Name

Skyfall

Nobody Does It Better 

Diamonds Are Forever

Thunderball

Underneath The Mango Tree

A jam of Bond '77

A View To A Kill

A jam medley from Live and Let Die

The Man With The Golden Gun

I'd rather get this than a new album of quickly written rockers, tbh

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stro said:

I would like a full Bond theme cover album

Richard's version of the main theme

You Know My Name

Skyfall

Nobody Does It Better 

Diamonds Are Forever

Thunderball

Underneath The Mango Tree

A jam of Bond '77

A View To A Kill

A jam medley from Live and Let Die

The Man With The Golden Gun

I'd rather get this than a new album of quickly written rockers, tbh

Mmmmkay.

:blink:

• Like 2

That's genius and completely bizarre, I'd love to hear All pull off some of the bond songs. Thunderball would be a good one. Why are we discussing this... 

In reality, a new track will leak some point next year. Maybe a new best of next year with a new track. A new album? Within 5 years, slim chance though but I can see them getting something out by 2025. 

On 7/8/2019 at 8:26 AM, Edward Nygma said:

I wouldn't count on it. SMKC will definitely be coming around again once Slash has a break. He loves that band too much to leave it. Now, if GnR will actually record and try to get something out on a reasonable timeline then he'll do that but I don't think he wants to wait around.

• Like 2

On 04/06/2019 at 11:10 AM, default_ said:

Has anyone noticed that the Jungle ending is basically a ripoff from the ending of KISS Exciter?

Ive always listened to these and always though "oh, theres where Jungle comes from", today I was listening to it and decided to check on the webs to see what people had to say about it and to my surprise, didnt find anyone talking about the similarities lol Im I going crazy and theres no similarities at all?

I've listened to Exciter a few times this evening. You're right it does sound similar.

I think the ending to Jungle has a couple of extra notes.

I've seen a few members compare Paradise City to Zero The Hero by Black Sabbath.

• Like 1