"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Owning the CD’s/Vinyl > Streaming Services for these very reasons. Sucks that where I live I have no room for them and have to be at the mercy of the streaming services. Nothing beats owning the material just so you never can have it taken away from you.

That's one of the many reasons I prefer physical media but a long shot. I do have the End Of Days Soundtrack on vinyl and OMG does sound a little better from that source, but it's only marginal IMO. 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

That's one of the many reasons I prefer physical media but a long shot. I do have the End Of Days Soundtrack on vinyl and OMG does sound a little better from that source, but it's only marginal IMO. 

They prob had to cut the low frequencies to physically cut the record without distorting.There’s a lot of the muddiness in that range. It prob cleans up the song just a little 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I can see that, I would argue it’s the worst mixed officially released Guns song, unless I’m forgetting something, which I’m sure I am. It’s so muddy.

15 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Had no idea that End of Days OST was available on vinyl. Bought. It's on side b and thankfully that looks like the only part of the record I'd like.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Axl S said:

Had no idea that End of Days OST was available on vinyl. Bought. It's on side b and thankfully that looks like the only part of the record I'd like.

I was happy about that too lol. When I bust it out, I play the first track on that side and that's it!

3 hours ago, soon said:

Listening to it on headphones makes it a bit cooler of a mix, but yeah its so murky. I can see what they were going for wth the guitars in the verse and had they produced and mixed that part better it would be a very powerful part, imo. You make a really good point about all the guitars sounding the same.

Im not sure who's doing what in the intro, sounds like you are more up to speed on the track then I am. The keyboards are so sinister and I like that, again just need more clarity and a pocket of their own. Seems clear that they had the opposite philosophy - that they wanted everything to sounds as a single mass of sound.

Robin denies appearing on the released track. Axl calls the released track a demo. So Im really confused about Robins role in it all.

Very strong point you make about the drums and snare in particular. Im thinking that "the beautiful people" may have been a reference point for that tone. Imagine what a nice crisp snare sound alone wouldve done for the over all song!

Oh, I always listen to my music with some good headphones (I use a Sony XB950N1 bluetooth NC headphones, which is heavy on bass, but it's adjustable). :)

I don't mind the wall of guitars when it fits. That's the case with Better. It works better for me because it's not straight foward power chords, there's some nice dissonance even with a heavy, distorted and low tuned guitar sound. In Oh My God, it all sounds like a heavy compressed distorted mess, too heavy processed that it feels almost inhuman. If you listen to the Vegas or even Rio soundboards, the song feels warmer with regular guitars. 

I feel like Robin's wah guitars are present in the chorus. Maybe he plays the intro (it sounds a bit like what he did in IRS)? Don't know and I don't blame him if he just couldnt remember. But there's also Gary Sunshine's guitar, and I have no clue what or where he plays. The heavy distorted guitar in the verses are kinda different to me in the Bumblefoot demo, tho. I remember reading an interview with Fortus where he says he bought a new baritone guitar to play Oh My God and Silkworms (both he never played live lol) back in 2003 or 2004.

The keyboards are cool, but did you ever hear the remix someone made without the center channel (kinda like an instrumental, but also taking of most of the drums)? You can hear the keyboards and FX way more. 

I can see the Beatiful People sound in the drums. But the Marilyn Manson song gives it space to breath. OMG throw it all in your face all the time. When people say that the album Chinese Democracy was overproduced, I understand - I had the opportunity to talk to Caram Constanzo after a show here and he said he had no idea how many guitar layers were in Scraped. But OMG to me is a complete disaster and almost makes me not want to listen to it. It's a great song, tho.

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I was happy about that too lol. When I bust it out, I play the first track on that side and that's it!

Yeah, like the rest of Side B looks ok: has The Prodigy and a Rob Zombie tune so I'm sure I'll find it listenable. The rest of the OST though...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

haha, I actually used to listen to the whole thing. I liked a lot of that music at the time.. Powerman 5000, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Everlast, Eminem...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

haha, I actually used to listen to the whole thing. I liked a lot of that music at the time.. Powerman 5000, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Everlast, Eminem...

I have a lot of arcade games in my listening area now. I should throw the whole soundtrack on one night and let it play while I play Golden Tee or something. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, soon said:

The first time I heard omg first thought was “he should have had me mix and engineer this” And then I thought about how hyped it was that Navarro played the solo... but to this day I don’t hear a guitar solo!!?? Do I have the official version? I hear that section where there’s Load-era Hammett “adding colours and vibes” shit, but no solo

It's buried under a vocal, there's actually 2 or 3 solos if memory serves! Haven't heard it in a while! 

I actually enjoy the full EOD Soundtrack. True period piece. Takes you right back to Y2K with Korn, The Prodigy, Eminem still hamming it up, etc. Lol. Meanwhile, some of those bands (Creed, Limp Bizkit, etc.) are punchlines now- but at the time I remember it actually feeling like a pretty big deal that Axl’s Guns had scored a slot next to them. Was a decent opportunity IMHO even if the film was mediocre...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Oh, I always listen to my music with some good headphones (I use a Sony XB950N1 bluetooth NC headphones, which is heavy on bass, but it's adjustable). :)

I don't mind the wall of guitars when it fits. That's the case with Better. It works better for me because it's not straight foward power chords, there's some nice dissonance even with a heavy, distorted and low tuned guitar sound. In Oh My God, it all sounds like a heavy compressed distorted mess, too heavy processed that it feels almost inhuman. If you listen to the Vegas or even Rio soundboards, the song feels warmer with regular guitars. 

I feel like Robin's wah guitars are present in the chorus. Maybe he plays the intro (it sounds a bit like what he did in IRS)? Don't know and I don't blame him if he just couldnt remember. But there's also Gary Sunshine's guitar, and I have no clue what or where he plays. The heavy distorted guitar in the verses are kinda different to me in the Bumblefoot demo, tho. I remember reading an interview with Fortus where he says he bought a new baritone guitar to play Oh My God and Silkworms (both he never played live lol) back in 2003 or 2004.

The keyboards are cool, but did you ever hear the remix someone made without the center channel (kinda like an instrumental, but also taking of most of the drums)? You can hear the keyboards and FX way more. 

I can see the Beatiful People sound in the drums. But the Marilyn Manson song gives it space to breath. OMG throw it all in your face all the time. When people say that the album Chinese Democracy was overproduced, I understand - I had the opportunity to talk to Caram Constanzo after a show here and he said he had no idea how many guitar layers were in Scraped. But OMG to me is a complete disaster and almost makes me not want to listen to it. It's a great song, tho.

Nice gear! I need some new wireless headphones.

Agreed about the compression. the guitars on omg verse remind me of Fixed by NIN. I love that album but its hard on the ears after a while, imho. Whereas NIN leans into the "inhuman" thing, but with Guns theres the expectation of something more organic, like what they achieve in your example with Better.

Thats a good point of reference - the IRS intro leads. Good hint towards Robin for sure! Bumbles sounded different to my ears too. I like it more.

I havent heard the remix with the keys more forward. Sounds cool!

OMG is certainly some lessons learned on the way to CD. Seems like they didnt have their heads wrapped around the sonics yet.

So cool that you got to talk shop with Constanzo!!! :headbang:

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

It's buried under a vocal, there's actually 2 or 3 solos if memory serves! Haven't heard it in a while! 

So buried! The way Im hearing it listen the last two days is that theres a 3 section solo? Or maybe Im missing more still! haha!

It comes in especially buried and just ripping. Then Axl sings over my favourite part. Then guitar continues with a more 'spacy' melodic thing that leads back into the chorus.

I guess that I only remembered the last section as the solo, which sounds like the 'non-solos' of Load era metallica to me. I guess the first section of shred sounds like almost every minute of some cd tracks (where theres just shred on shred in so many section that arent solos) So it didnt strike my ears as the start (or the first of 3) solo(s). Its cool to revise it!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, soon said:

Nice gear! I need some new wireless headphones.

Agreed about the compression. the guitars on omg verse remind me of Fixed by NIN. I love that album but its hard on the ears after a while, imho. Whereas NIN leans into the "inhuman" thing, but with Guns theres the expectation of something more organic, like what they achieve in your example with Better.

Thats a good point of reference - the IRS intro leads. Good hint towards Robin for sure! Bumbles sounded different to my ears too. I like it more.

I havent heard the remix with the keys more forward. Sounds cool!

OMG is certainly some lessons learned on the way to CD. Seems like they didnt have their heads wrapped around the sonics yet.

So cool that you got to talk shop with Constanzo!!! :headbang:

So buried! The way Im hearing it listen the last two days is that theres a 3 section solo? Or maybe Im missing more still! haha!

It comes in especially buried and just ripping. Then Axl sings over my favourite part. Then guitar continues with a more 'spacy' melodic thing that leads back into the chorus.

I guess that I only remembered the last section as the solo, which sounds like the 'non-solos' of Load era metallica to me. I guess the first section of shred sounds like almost every minute of some cd tracks (where theres just shred on shred in so many section that arent solos) So it didnt strike my ears as the start (or the first of 3) solo(s). Its cool to revise it!

There's a song on there somewhere, and a cool one! I love the chorus and bridge section and verse. Think it goes off the rails during the more shreddy moments, but that was probably the aim!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

There's a song on there somewhere, and a cool one! I love the chorus and bridge section and verse. Think it goes off the rails during the more shreddy moments, but that was probably the aim!

There is a song in there somewhere for sure! The wah guitar in the chorus... trying to form my thought...It strikes me as the guitar almost emulating/reflecting unhinged Axl. Like, lashing out Axl. And in my view of things, thats the first time that a musician has kinda been able to conceptualize the nature of our boy and make a musical representation of him. That Axl then sings over.

Either way, this track is growing on me! Off the rails shredding moments are hitting the spot!

Is there a GNR shirt with a small logo in the middle and individual band members, cartoon type, up above it?  I only caught a glimpse of it.  Thought I was looking at a Grateful Dead shirt but then I saw the GNR logo.  Cool shirt but the guy got through the crowd and didn't come back.  Looked like a new shirt but I haven't seen this one in the GNR store.

In terms of the NILT, what was the best ‘recording’ out there? I remember hearing a bootleg of the 2016 Houston gig where they seemed really ‘on-it’ (particularly RQ) but the quality ain’t that great. The ‘professional’ recordings for the Forum and New York sound great but vocally are not strong.

Were/are there any professional/soundboard 2016 recordings out there?

Edited by DTJ80

24 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

In terms of the NILT, what was the best ‘recording’ out there? I remember hearing a bootleg of the 2016 Houston gig where they seemed really ‘on-it’ (particularly RQ) but the quality ain’t that great. The ‘professional’ recordings for the Forum and New York sound great but vocally are not strong.

Were/are there any professional/soundboard 2016 recordings out there?

Las Vegas 2016 IEM/audience mix, the 2nd night (April 9) is the best recording. There's also a few songs from Coachella in soundboard quality - KOHD, Nov Rain, Nightrain.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Las Vegas 2016 IEM/audience mix, the 2nd night (April 9) is the best recording. There's also a few songs from Coachella in soundboard quality - KOHD, Nov Rain, Nightrain.

Cheers for the heads-up. 👍