"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:51 PM, EvH said:

It's actually a great cover, if a bit overdone. 

That was the first Gn'R recording that I remember not liking. Pretty much because of the vocals in the first half.  First time I didn't dig the vocals on a Axl song.  Listened to it as I posted this and the second half of the song kicks ass.

On 8/15/2019 at 6:21 PM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

GN'Rs version of SFTD isn't as shit as everyone says it is. 

Really bad, completely devoid of the cool vibe the original had and adds nothing of value imo. Also it's kinda sterile with no subtlety. It's like a Gn'R parasite has taken over the tune. It's not a song where you can just turn everything to 11 and it's gonna improve it. KOHD is the same except at least Slash came up with great solos for it.

I do think Gn'R got it right sometimes with covers though like Jumpin' Jack Flash, Mama Kin and Nice Boys for example. Black Hole Sun was horrid while Sailing was really good.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

The thing is, people are less and less humble towards artists’... you know, art. The most extreme situation seems to be in video games. Every smart-ass would have / could have made the game way way better, if only they just could be assed at least a bit. 

Same for GN’R records and songs. 
When Sympathy was released, everyone was thrilled, everyone loved it. Now it sucks, mainly because Slash said it was the sound of a band breaking up. He didn’t mean it literally of course, but I’d say it stuck somewhere in the subconsciousness in some cases. 

When OMG came out, it was surely something different, but people definitely were intrigued. Not so much later on, I’d say. 

When CD was released, people were overwhelmed with joy and made races and contests and literally charts about who loves what more. Now it’s just an overproduced record with weak vocals which sucks and has maybe three good songs on there. Has the music changed so quickly in ten years? 

But even that is not enough. Spaghetti sucked from the beginning according to these people, I guess. As for UYI, which we used to love and adore, now it’s too long, contains a lot of fillers and weird shit with stupid lyrics, not to mention the sound and the drums, and half of it basically didn’t have to be there or is too long / too short / whatever. 
Lies is not even worth mentioning, and here we are at AfD. Even this record deserves some critique now, doesn’t it? The sound is bad/old/cheesy, definitely needs remastering, since Axl mentioned something about the bass, and also the song selection could have been better, they should have included the original You’re Crazy, and we’re definitely not crazy about Anything Goes, they should have replaced it with SOYL, and the album could have been better in general...
Oh and on the side note, why do they keep playing Nightrain, WTTJ and other songs now, they should ditch it, as they’re not a bunch of drunks in a park any longer, are they; they should sing about diamonds and fast cars and money to burn now, right, that would make sense.

I mean, we should be glad we have all these internet geniuses, because once they could be assed a little bit, just a little bit, the world would be rewarded with incredible amounts of ingenious masterpieces that would have us forget about some nonsensical old crap like Appetite for Destruction and the likes. 

I’m so rooting for these legends, for these true, underappreciated artists of the unknown/anonymous/internet! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/19/2019 at 6:01 AM, Edward Nygma said:

This upcoming leg is shorter than the Europe leg of last year. After the tour starts again in a few weeks and all the dates are completed...when will GNR be active again? 

Who knows, there's rumors of more shows next spring. Better question is when will they have time to record?

12 hours ago, jamillos said:

The thing is, people are less and less humble towards artists’... you know, art. The most extreme situation seems to be in video games. Every smart-ass would have / could have made the game way way better, if only they just could be assed at least a bit. 

Same for GN’R records and songs. 
When Sympathy was released, everyone was thrilled, everyone loved it. Now it sucks, mainly because Slash said it was the sound of a band breaking up. He didn’t mean it literally of course, but I’d say it stuck somewhere in the subconsciousness in some cases. 

When OMG came out, it was surely something different, but people definitely were intrigued. Not so much later on, I’d say. 

When CD was released, people were overwhelmed with joy and made races and contests and literally charts about who loves what more. Now it’s just an overproduced record with weak vocals which sucks and has maybe three good songs on there. Has the music changed so quickly in ten years? 

But even that is not enough. Spaghetti sucked from the beginning according to these people, I guess. As for UYI, which we used to love and adore, now it’s too long, contains a lot of fillers and weird shit with stupid lyrics, not to mention the sound and the drums, and half of it basically didn’t have to be there or is too long / too short / whatever. 
Lies is not even worth mentioning, and here we are at AfD. Even this record deserves some critique now, doesn’t it? The sound is bad/old/cheesy, definitely needs remastering, since Axl mentioned something about the bass, and also the song selection could have been better, they should have included the original You’re Crazy, and we’re definitely not crazy about Anything Goes, they should have replaced it with SOYL, and the album could have been better in general...
Oh and on the side note, why do they keep playing Nightrain, WTTJ and other songs now, they should ditch it, as they’re not a bunch of drunks in a park any longer, are they; they should sing about diamonds and fast cars and money to burn now, right, that would make sense.

I mean, we should be glad we have all these internet geniuses, because once they could be assed a little bit, just a little bit, the world would be rewarded with incredible amounts of ingenious masterpieces that would have us forget about some nonsensical old crap like Appetite for Destruction and the likes. 

I’m so rooting for these legends, for these true, underappreciated artists of the unknown/anonymous/internet! 

Good sarcasm!

• Thanks 1

Anyway, it’s funny how those poor bastards over at HTGTH can’t even talk about the leaks. I’ve peeped now and then, and once someone even mentioned the earlier leaks – whether in a new thread or not – it got swiftly deleted. 
I mean, what’s the point of a forum where you can’t even talk about these exciting things (never mind posting links)? There is literally no advantage coming from the fact that J. has been touring with the crew – they got no extra info on the forum other than what the rest of us have. 
And I’ve tried. I was there for a couple of months about 4 or 5 years ago; and while there were a few cool people, the place seems to be basically a black-and-white monastery led by J. and his minions, where once you say something not completely 100% exultant, you’re automatically a hater. So I gave up after several months. 
No point in that forum, really. 

On 8/15/2019 at 11:21 AM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

GN'Rs version of SFTD isn't as shit as everyone says it is. 

I thought it was a decent cover. I think a lot of people associate it with breaking up the band, but in terms of it being a decent cover of a good song, it's fine.

You have two ways to go with a cover; go a stylized way kind of like Disturbed did with Sound of Silence, and that can work well - or go the straightforward route. I think Axl's voice works well for SFTD. Cover songs are just what they are. Cover songs. 

:ph34r:

...I prefer the GNR cover of Sympathy for the Devil to the Rolling Stones original. I even love the "call"/"answer" thing between Tobias and Slash's guitar that infamously pissed off the latter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Amir said:

:ph34r:

...I prefer the GNR cover of Sympathy for the Devil to the Rolling Stones original. I even love the "call"/"answer" thing between Tobias and Slash's guitar that infamously pissed off the latter.

I'd like to hear GnR version of SFTD, unfortunetly, it never happened... 

3 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

I've always wondered, is that an actual bootleg that exists, or is it just a fake made by some troll? I've always wanted to get my hands on it.

There's been a lot of them for sale on Discogs oevr the years. I've always thought about buying one but never have. 

On 24/08/2019 at 6:54 AM, Rovim said:

Really bad, completely devoid of the cool vibe the original had and adds nothing of value imo. Also it's kinda sterile with no subtlety. It's like a Gn'R parasite has taken over the tune. It's not a song where you can just turn everything to 11 and it's gonna improve it. KOHD is the same except at least Slash came up with great solos for it.

I do think Gn'R got it right sometimes with covers though like Jumpin' Jack Flash, Mama Kin and Nice Boys for example. Black Hole Sun was horrid while Sailing was really good.

100% this.