"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

41 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I read on here before that apparently "This I Love" was originally titled "Prostitute" & "Prostitute" was titled "This I Love" ... With what we know of TIL's origins is this substantiated at all?

Thats is so confuse but i think TIL was written first, Axl wrote this in Paris during the UYI and it was recorded

Are there any vocalists or vocal teachers (or anybody else) on this forum who can explain, why Axl sometimes uses falsetto and sometimes chest voice for the same notes? 

Example 1 ist WTTJ, the "you got a hunger for what you see" part is full on chest voice, while the same part in the first verse ("we are the people that can find..") and in the second verse ("you're a very sexy girl..") are in falsetto, despite being the exact same notes and melody

Example 2 is patience, I haven't heard any recordings from this leg, but on the other legs, he started the outro ("I been walking the streets tonight..") with chest voice and finished it ("yeah yeah I need you") with falsetto, but again these are the same notes, the same pitch and the absolut same vocal melody

Hope someone can explain why he does that, because it doesn't make any sense to me 

On 18-09-2019 at 5:33 PM, King_Johnny said:

I was listening to the bass track from My Michelle today - presumably taken from the Blu Ray - and noticed there's a synth line for about 20 seconds that comes in at 2 mins 28. It's not loud enough to be heard in the full song (at least to my ears anyway).

Made me wonder what else people had found that's buried in the AFD mix but can now be heard thanks to the Blu Ray?

The bluray have new mix stuff. Starting up the first scream of Axl on WTTJ.

On 17/10/2019 at 8:25 AM, axlvai said:

This book is a "break point" to get back on GnR in any possible way.

And i hope at some point this happens even for a one off show. Ill be intetested to see how much he holds back especially during the 94 to 96 sessions and the illusions tour.

Edited by Sydney Fan

I just watched the Better video for the first time in ages... it looks like it was thrown together in an hour, but damn that era of the band was cool.

Anyone know what the differences are between the "Better_current" (12/19/08) and "Better_current_alt" (12/17/08) videos are? There's also one from 12/15/08. Are there actually any differences?

It's genuinely a bit depressing to see the "most dangerous band in the world" become so boring after the initial excitement of Axl, Slash, and Duff back in the same band together. After the optimism and excitement of 2016, with Axl absolutely killing it with AC/DC and sounding great with GNR, in 2019 we're left with a band on autopilot that's just going through the motions.

On 15-10-2019 at 4:16 AM, 2020_Intensions said:

Man I just watched ITW live in Tokyo '09 the other day it's incredible how just 10 years ago Axl was delivering those kind of vocals .... I don't accept the age factor ... What happened???

Nice Boys and the first Nightrain verse (he exploded there :lol:) that night were insaaaane. Could be that I'm mixing some dates up tho, I remember having the in ear mix of one of the '09 shows.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:54 PM, SAU3R said:

Are there any vocalists or vocal teachers (or anybody else) on this forum who can explain, why Axl sometimes uses falsetto and sometimes chest voice for the same notes? 

Example 1 ist WTTJ, the "you got a hunger for what you see" part is full on chest voice, while the same part in the first verse ("we are the people that can find..") and in the second verse ("you're a very sexy girl..") are in falsetto, despite being the exact same notes and melody

Example 2 is patience, I haven't heard any recordings from this leg, but on the other legs, he started the outro ("I been walking the streets tonight..") with chest voice and finished it ("yeah yeah I need you") with falsetto, but again these are the same notes, the same pitch and the absolut same vocal melody

Hope someone can explain why he does that, because it doesn't make any sense to me 

Some of it is as simple as breathing and breath control.  The "I been walking the streets at night" part is at the beginning of that stanza so he had time to gather himself, so to speak. While the " yeah I need you" is at the end and it's easier to go falsetto if your breathing is a bit out of whack.

3 minutes ago, Pinball Wizard said:

I've been dealing with a pretty fucked up case of depression for 8 months now, I've been absent from work on a medical leave for half of this year because of it. I lost my dad last year and I haven't digested it yet. It's not the first time I struggle with depression and GnR has got me out of it before.

Anyways. Today I decided to get out and I went to the GYM to see if it could help me blowing off some steam. I had a panic attack while I was running so I decided to head back home asap. I had my headphones on and I played a playlist I have on spotify and Breakdown came on. It's been a loooong time since I've listened to it, so I paid lots of attention in an attempt to change my focus and bring myself back. It's weird how messed up Axl must had been back in the days when he wrote this song and how it completely describes the moment I'm living now, 28 years after its release. Specially on these verses:

When I look around
Everybody always brings me down
Well is it them or me
Well I just can't see
But there ain't no peace to found
But if someone really cared
Well they'd take the time to spare
A moment to try and understand
Another one's despair

That's one of the big reasons I want them to release new music. This guy's a genius lyricist. 

Sorry about your loss and struggles, I've been there.  Glad that your bringing yourself out of it and that Guns helps you in the journey.  Music is powerful.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pinball Wizard said:

I've been dealing with a pretty fucked up case of depression for 8 months now, I've been absent from work on a medical leave for half of this year because of it. I lost my dad last year and I haven't digested it yet. It's not the first time I struggle with depression and GnR has got me out of it before.

Anyways. Today I decided to get out and I went to the GYM to see if it could help me blowing off some steam. I had a panic attack while I was running so I decided to head back home asap. I had my headphones on and I played a playlist I have on spotify and Breakdown came on. It's been a loooong time since I've listened to it, so I paid lots of attention in an attempt to change my focus and bring myself back. It's weird how messed up Axl must had been back in the days when he wrote this song and how it completely describes the moment I'm living now, 28 years after its release. Specially on these verses:

When I look around
Everybody always brings me down
Well is it them or me
Well I just can't see
But there ain't no peace to found
But if someone really cared
Well they'd take the time to spare
A moment to try and understand
Another one's despair

That's one of the big reasons I want them to release new music. This guy's a genius lyricist. 

:heart:

• Thanks 1

On 23/10/2019 at 4:38 PM, Italian girl said:

:heart:

I love the lyrics to breakdown, but i dont know what personal issues he was dealing with during the recording. I understand he was dealing with emotional and or mental issues after the illusipn release as he wanted to put the tour on hold because he wasnt mentally ready to tour at that time.

Edited by Sydney Fan

20 minutes ago, Gunner927 said:

Slash already confirmed shows around March a few months ago. Probably Europe/Asia again.

Im pissed they toured oz once and need to tour here again. I think they have done the european market to death unless they do a festival hete and there and  tour the UK again.

Edited by Sydney Fan

21 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im pissed they toured oz once and need to tour here again. I think they have done the european market to death unless they do a festival hete and there and  tour the UK again.

Would be awesome if they joined Metallica for their delayed ANZ tour.

• Like 1