"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

On 1. 1. 2020 at 9:13 AM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Here’s a spicy one

I didn’t really care about most of the instrumentals leaked last summer. I listened to some of them only out of curiosity and then never again. Unfinished and without vocals I had very little interest and couldn’t even tell you one from the other. This is coming from a major Chinese fan.

I agree. I’ve said it here before. No Axl, no way. Just a bunch of hired guys playing some electronic video-game music. Not interested without vocals.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

For those of you who happen not to know this... I've stumbled upon this interview with Doug Goldstein (what a name for a manager, huh?) describing how the old band used to split the loot. Could be legit. 

“Publishing splits were 20/20/20 [for] Duff, Slash, Izzy, and then 25 [percent for] Axl, and 15 Steven.

“That was a gift to Steven – I mean, Axl used to say that all the time. I wasn’t around for the writing, but he was like, ‘Look, they were trying to force me into even splits.’

“Steven never wrote anything, so he considered that a big gift to Steven.”

https://metaladdicts.com/site/former-guns-n-roses-manager-doug-goldstein-talked-about-how-the-band-members-used-to-split-their-publishing-rights-back-in-the-day/

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

For those of you who happen not to know this... I've stumbled upon this interview with Doug Goldstein (what a name for a manager, huh?) describing how the old band used to split the loot. Could be legit. 

“Publishing splits were 20/20/20 [for] Duff, Slash, Izzy, and then 25 [percent for] Axl, and 15 Steven.

“That was a gift to Steven – I mean, Axl used to say that all the time. I wasn’t around for the writing, but he was like, ‘Look, they were trying to force me into even splits.’

“Steven never wrote anything, so he considered that a big gift to Steven.”

https://metaladdicts.com/site/former-guns-n-roses-manager-doug-goldstein-talked-about-how-the-band-members-used-to-split-their-publishing-rights-back-in-the-day/

I am of course writing about this, and although I have only come to 1997 interviews (and thus miss Niven and Goldstein discuss the splitting of revenues), I have some information:

uten_n52.png

Source: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p60-the-history-in-their-own-words#15842

• Like 2

Was having this trip yday, to which I'd like to share a few moments tho:

When thought of GnR, I think somehow these guys are beyond tired of being "slaves" to shit they wrote in their teens-20s.

I mean, once you've been signed, get money ect. you also become assets of the industry, thus getting this sense of liability, in counter-parts. So now you're a professional performist and need to keep the wheel spinning around. Your art isn't as raw as before, nor as artistic anymore, but you gotta keep "commited" to It somehow to get biz done.

No wonder why they were high as kites back then, I'm just glad the 5 of them are alive.

21 minutes ago, ezosk said:

Was having this trip yday, to which I'd like to share a few moments tho:

When thought of GnR, I think somehow these guys are beyond tired of being "slaves" to shit they wrote in their teens-20s.

I mean, once you've been signed, get money ect. you also become assets of the industry, thus getting this sense of liability, in counter-parts. So now you're a professional performist and need to keep the wheel spinning around. Your art isn't as raw as before, nor as artistic anymore, but you gotta keep "commited" to It somehow to get biz done.

No wonder why they were high as kites back then, I'm just glad the 5 of them are alive.

Yeah, they're getting "slave" wages for playing those songs too.  If they're that butthurt over it just take two weeks off then quit.

i can't state any more clearly why I think the whole "wages" perspective is not nearly the most important thing in making music than what I've already written at the very post you quoted. And I don't even think I need to explain the use of " " also in the post.

Edited by ezosk

51 minutes ago, ezosk said:

i can't state any more clearly why I think the whole "wages" perspective is not nearly the most important thing in making music than what I've already written at the very post you quoted. And I don't even think I need to explain the use of " " also in the post.

You're right, it's not the most important thing but it's simply the nature of the business.  They understand this.

Yeah I know they acknowledge it for a living but I just meant in a more fulfilling kind-a-thing (?). Theoretically they could/would have been having a blast touring the world getting all this love (and $) with their old songs, but can we be sure they fully enjoy the being stuck in constant repeatedly reviving their musical past? Sometimes judging by their current performances I wouldn't doubt they don't, in this sense I'm thinking.

Edited by ezosk

18 minutes ago, ezosk said:

Yeah I know they acknowledge it for a living but I just meant in a more fulfilling kind-a-thing (?). Theoretically they could/would have been having a blast touring the world getting all this love (and $) with their old songs, but can we be sure they fully enjoy the being stuck in constant repeatedly reviving their musical past? Sometimes judging by their current performances I wouldn't doubt they don't, in this sense I'm thinking.

From a creative standpoint I'm sure it can be stifling but this is Guns, not exactly the most prolific band in history.

So, I thought this was kinda interesting. I was listening to the Pittsburgh '02 show last night. During SCOM, a few seconds after the first "where do we go now"... I swear that I can hear part of the Circus Maximus intro in the background. Something being sprinkled in by Pitman.

I listened to it a few more times, and unless my ears are deceiving me, I can still clearly hear it. Makes you wonder how many parts of the Village songs could've just been hiding in the background all along.

• Wow 1

I miss that we get no interviews with the band. From 88 upto the illusions era in my teens, i loved going to the newsagents and picking up a copy of metaledge,metal hammer, circus, hot metal and guarenteed there would be an interview with the band. Used to be in the newsagents all day just reading all those mags. Great time to find info about "my band". I miss those times.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

On 1.1.2020 at 1:12 AM, Mendez said:

Anyone listen to Slash's Universal Horror Album? Its surprisngly cool. He does some not very "slash" guitar parts there, maybe because he has to restrain himself since he is just a cog in the machine, as opposed to being the main driving mattwr in the music

"The Danse of the Dead" is probably the best "song" as a whole

"We Belong Dead" he does some very unusual (for him) arpeggio after the whole dubstep thing, starting at 2:00. At first I thought he sweep picking lol but hes just picking everything

"Sweet Licks" he does some cool ambient guitar lead echo in the intro and throughout

I do and I like it a lot. Far better than anything SMKC.

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I miss that we get no interviews with the band. From 88 upto the illusions era in my teens, i loved going to the newsagents and picking up a copy of metaledge,metal hammer, circus, hot metal and guarenteed there would be an interview with the band. Used to be in the newsagents all day just reading all those mags. Great time to find info about "my band". I miss those times.

I miss those days too when music was real. These click bait sites make stories out of nothing. 

But I really can't take reading another bullshit interview about a new album. 

That Brasky dude is commenting on hoarders again and alluding that CD2 is in the hands of certain folk. I know that’s been rumoured for years - just odd it’s been brought up for discussion again?

Which gets you thinking - if CD2 is ‘out there’, it’s entirely possible it will contain some tracks which could potentially have been earmarked for a new release (EP/album etc) so the longer that takes, a series of leaks could cause some proper damage - more than the last batch as these ones would likely be fully mixed/close to final versions.

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

That Brasky dude is commenting on hoarders again and alluding that CD2 is in the hands of certain folk. I know that’s been rumoured for years - just odd it’s been brought up for discussion again?

Which gets you thinking - if CD2 is ‘out there’, it’s entirely possible it will contain some tracks which could potentially have been earmarked for a new release (EP/album etc) so the longer that takes, a series of leaks could cause some proper damage - more than the last batch as these ones would likely be fully mixed/close to final versions.

My god, the day that leaks will be a great day.

Even a confirmed tracklisting (from a reliable source) would be amazing, just so we have something new to speculate about.

If it is indeed 'out there', and outside of the bands control, it should mean a leak is pretty much inevitable at some point.

1 hour ago, jackparker123 said:

Even a confirmed tracklisting (from a reliable source) would be amazing, just so we have something new to speculate about.

If it is indeed 'out there', and outside of the bands control, it should mean a leak is pretty much inevitable at some point.

Totally - which in theory would put a bit of pressure on any new material ‘due to be released’...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

I worry about two things:

- Just because it's "out there", it doesn't mean it will leak soon. It happened before with the Vegas DVD. 

- If it leaks, I would be hugely disappointed if it's a version with Ashba all over it. That would fucking sucks.