"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

I just read this in a Slash interview from 2000, when Snakepit opened for AC/DC:

Former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash said he does have one recurring bad dream about GN'R singer Axl Rose.

"I have nightmares about going out on stage and Axl showing up and going out and playing AC/DC's songs," he said yesterday afternoon during a press conference with his new band, Slash's Snakepit, at the Air Canada Centre.

"I have had that -- that's a re-occuring thing. It's ironic that I'm here now."

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4608-2000-08-14-toronto-sun-slash-puts-guns-behind-him

:lol:

• Haha 3
  • Wow 2

11 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Premonition. Axl should have been consulting Slash instead of Yoda.

My explanation is that Slash knew it was Axl's dream - Axl must have said that many times, maybe when GnR were going to open for AC/DC in the AFD era - and that's why he had that "nightmare" (at that time when he hated Axl) and said it was ironic that he was there.

46 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I just read this in a Slash interview from 2000, when Snakepit opened for AC/DC:

Former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash said he does have one recurring bad dream about GN'R singer Axl Rose.

"I have nightmares about going out on stage and Axl showing up and going out and playing AC/DC's songs," he said yesterday afternoon during a press conference with his new band, Slash's Snakepit, at the Air Canada Centre.

"I have had that -- that's a re-occuring thing. It's ironic that I'm here now."

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4608-2000-08-14-toronto-sun-slash-puts-guns-behind-him

:lol:

Great find!! If Slash would says it now, the people would don't believe, and would think that Slash is  a lying or is suitable in it moment . 

On 12/31/2019 at 6:12 AM, jackparker123 said:

It's taken me 15 years but Don't Damn Me has finally really grown on me.

I used to always skip it when I was younger.

It could have maybe even been on Appetite, or at least a terrific B-side in that era.

IDK your age but I was alive and had AFD when it was their only album, I was in 7th grade when it came out.  Almost all of Illusions had to grow on me, I was looking for AFD II and was massively disappointed when it first came out!  It seems hard to fathom, even for me when I think about it now, but it's true.

My initial reaction to Civil War was like "WTF is This?"  My tastes eventually matured, and outside of "My World" I love every other song on Illusions.  GnR has had more growers for me than any other band, ever!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Giving the fact some of us have a bit more free time any of us going to go through the albums in full ? I've not tried it in order going from start to finish in a while but might give it a go.

Good idea. I have been cherry picking tracks I don’t normally listen to as perhaps back in the day they didn’t resonate.

3 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Just further to my last post I'm wondering do we include the live era album and greatest hits. I'm just look at the official albums I have in my CD rack and live era and the GH are there(I have the GH for completeness sake) but there's overlap. 

I wouldn't include GH or live era myself. Maybe at the end I might :)

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I wouldn't include GH or live era myself. Maybe at the end I might :)

Yeah I didn't but GH myself but got a loan of it and put the songs on my computer because given I'd been a massive GNR already the likely hood is I had all the songs. I got it as a present after so. I ruined live era for myself by looking up what was messed on the album. I could guess where things where fixed but to actually see it I can't ever un see it.

if you could see my CD racks ive all the music by the artist arranged by year. I can't help it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I think i have had Live Era on CD for 21 years.....and never listened to it all the way through!!!!?!

The realisation it had been overdubbed to hell just put me right off.

On one hand I think Live Era was a wasted opportunity because it mostly came from the Tokyo show with different vocal tracks and on top of that the "prime" live era for GNR was largely ignored (1986-1988 with a couple exceptions)

However I actually kind of like Axl's overdubbed vocals lol especially for Pretty Tied Up and Move to the City.  His late 90's voice was strangely on point and it makes me wish we got to hear that Axl live - he had rasp however his vocals were cleaner than the 90's and still had power.  So I like Live Era just to hear a vocal era of Axl that we don't have too much of regarding his take on older material

• Like 1

People can rightly give Ashba a lot of shit, but

In the 2012 London pro-shoot his antics during night train are amazing.

Also his work with Sixx AM was pretty good, "Stars" is fantastic.

But doubt we'll hear more from them now that Motely it back.

Just as with the rest of the 2001-2014 band they could have been so much more if they'd had songs to prove why they were in the band.

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

On one hand I think Live Era was a wasted opportunity because it mostly came from the Tokyo show with different vocal tracks and on top of that the "prime" live era for GNR was largely ignored (1986-1988 with a couple exceptions)

However I actually kind of like Axl's overdubbed vocals lol especially for Pretty Tied Up and Move to the City.  His late 90's voice was strangely on point and it makes me wish we got to hear that Axl live - he had rasp however his vocals were cleaner than the 90's and still had power.  So I like Live Era just to hear a vocal era of Axl that we don't have too much of regarding his take on older material

Good points. I should probably give it a listen even if it’s just for the vocals.

I remember listening to coma for the first time in the summer of 2002 and being amazed by it then and you can see why axl is proud of the final two minutes of the song as it's  just amazing both musically and lyrically. It's certainly up there as some of the best lyrics axl ever wrote. I mean how axl sings the last part amazed me then and amazes me now. I can barely say the words and keep in time with the music. When I start the listen through it's a shame coma is so far down the line.

6 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Just further to my last post I'm wondering do we include the live era album and greatest hits. I'm just look at the official albums I have in my CD rack and live era and the GH are there(I have the GH for completeness sake) but there's overlap. 

This is a great idea! I’m gonna marathon everything, including Live Era, GH, and even my own bootlegs that I’ve made of the rarities from all the different eras!

EDIT: on second thought, I’ll leave GH out, since that one only has one different song.

Edited by rocknroll41

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I posted this as a status a few days back and never got an answer, so figured I’d ask here:

Who wrote which songs on AFD? Do we know? 

Also:

Why was the “Live at the London O2 Arena” dvd from 2012 canceled at the last minute?

No idea on the second question. 

the first question the only song off the top of my head that had someone other that the band members was it's so easy which was written by duff and west Arkeem. 

Edited by IrishgunnerII

Oh and anything goes which had Chris Weber but anything goes predates even the first incarnation of GNR I think.

edit: anything used to be called "my way, your way" which is one of the lyrics of the song. I can't remember right now when that change to anything goes.

Edited by IrishgunnerII

11 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

I remember listening to coma for the first time in the summer of 2002 and being amazed by it then and you can see why axl is proud of the final two minutes of the song as it's  just amazing both musically and lyrically. It's certainly up there as some of the best lyrics axl ever wrote. I mean how axl sings the last part amazed me then and amazes me now. I can barely say the words and keep in time with the music. When I start the listen through it's a shame coma is so far down the line.

I think the song is outstanding. Slash's solo is one of his best work, and the lead in this outro is also excellent. I do like the 1st half enough so is not a problem for me to have to wait for that ending. 

I think Locomotive would have been a classic had they cut a couple of the middle verses. The outro is brilliant but the song drags too long to get there. SCOM was gonna have a third verse originally before it was axed, but with the UYIs there seems to have been less "editorial oversight" and a few tracks suffer from bloat.

• Like 3

On 12/31/2019 at 4:12 AM, jackparker123 said:

It's taken me 15 years but Don't Damn Me has finally really grown on me.

I used to always skip it when I was younger.

It could have maybe even been on Appetite, or at least a terrific B-side in that era.

That's one of my top three favorite GnR tracks.

• GNFNR 1

There are few songs on UYI that are underrated like yesterdays which is a great song. I may be in the minority but I like the alt lyrics version of don't cry better than the original. 

I skip the the album version of KOHD normally(won't be this weekend) as I hate the phone call part which adds zero value to the song. Also I remember my best friend reading the lyrics in the UYI Album and he was a huge bob Dylan fan so obviously knew the song but in 2003 he said the lyrics are different between the Dylan version and the GNR version. Now it wasn't huge but according to him there were slight differences in some lines. I'll be honest I wasn't curious enough to check the two that closely. Is there a difference or was my friend talking rubbish ?

Edited by IrishgunnerII