"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

7 hours ago, Michael Van Gerwen said:

sorry, i forgot to add with rasp. his high notes in 06/07 were better than 10, but for rasp 10 was the year.

I prefer 2010 as well. I think he had more power and range in 2006/2007 but a lot of his high notes sounded very thin and cleaner where I would have maybe preferred more dirt on it at least for some of the tunes.

In comparison, in 2010, he had unlimited rasp on the high notes as well, still very powerful and it was just way more consistent imo. Not every show was like Rock Am Ring in 2006. Many were uneven. In 2010 - not so much. Most shows were strong and the setlist was obviously much more varied so you had a chance to really get to hear the scope of Axl's voice.

Edited by Rovim

7 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Out of place or not TAY is the shit. That should have been a hit single, almost every other diamond certified rock album had more singles released than Appetite so there was definitely room.

Agreed mate! Brilliant song highlighting the amazing abilities of the boys on guitar especially.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2020 at 1:56 PM, IrishgunnerII said:

There are few songs on UYI that are underrated like yesterdays which is a great song. I may be in the minority but I like the alt lyrics version of don't cry better than the original. 

I skip the the album version of KOHD normally(won't be this weekend) as I hate the phone call part which adds zero value to the song. Also I remember my best friend reading the lyrics in the UYI Album and he was a huge bob Dylan fan so obviously knew the song but in 2003 he said the lyrics are different between the Dylan version and the GNR version. Now it wasn't huge but according to him there were slight differences in some lines. I'll be honest I wasn't curious enough to check the two that closely. Is there a difference or was my friend talking rubbish ?

My mate actually took his CD back as he thought it was faulty and skipping during the Heavens Door phone call bit

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I'd agree, and even though there was some songs on some of those pro shots where he had a few slips, I think the overall control and technique was much, much better. Listen to Rock am ring 06, and then Reading 2010. In 2006 he was legging it all over the place, hitting and holding all the notes and remained in breath, in 2010 he was chewing glass and sounded like vintage rasp Axl... but he had no gas, he was gasping for air. He could also hit way higher notes in 2006/07 like you mentioned and always nailed the better breakdown, which 2010 Axl sometimes dodged.

Personally I'll go with a cleaner voice with some rasp but he has more air, over raspy AF but cutting notes and gasping. If I could get a hybrid of both then that's the obvious preference.

Indeed. Another good example in proshot was the Inland Rock Invasion (or something like that) in 2006. But there's tons of good Axl's performance in 2006 Gibson Amphiteather (the 2nd to last show had an amazing IRS scream during the solo). In 2007, the whole band was on fire in Japan. Tokyo in particular. 

• Like 2

You know what I find kind of funny is people complaining about axl using oxygen now but sure he was photographed with the mask during the UYI tour. Also people complained about solos in the nugnr period but watch any UYI era concert and there are solos. My point is it's funny how the same things are seen different depending on the time period.

• Like 2

On 21/03/2020 at 8:52 PM, IrishgunnerII said:

I know slash isn't a fan of the bands cover of sympathy for the devil for various reasons but I think the lads did a great version of it. I loved Matts drums especially. 

The bit that Slash hates the most (the call and response guitar parts with Paul Huge) are one of my favourite bits.

The songs on GNR lies are as good as I remember them but that fake crowd ruins songs that are good. Patience is the stand out as it's always been for me as I'm sure it is for many others here. One in a million is a great song musically but what the hell was axl thinking with lyrics ? I know what he was trying to say but surely there was a better way to do it. 

Edited by IrishgunnerII
  • Like 2

Ah UYI is great. I'm sure we all have our favourite songs and listen to them more than the album they are on as a whole which I used to do but have just listened to songs recently. The funny thing is even though I've probably listened to the entire back catalogue many times over but not in order. The only thing I wish they did on the album versions is added the longer pause before the outro of NR they do on live versions. 

Okay this is a general musing. The video screen feeds at GNR concerts are they recording  those or what ? I ask because Metallica five hours ago streamed their Slane concert from last year with a tag of a fundraiser on it. I presume that to do with covid-19. If GNR has stuff like this why the hell isnt it on their official YouTube channel ? They get them taken down from non official channels but don't then Avail of the Channel they have ? This makes no sense at all. It would get eyes on the band and people like us would all probably watch shows we went to over past few years. 

If there is some logical reason why this isn't happening then I'd love to hear it but honestly I can't think of a logical reason. 

• Wow 1

5 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Okay this is a general musing. The video screen feeds at GNR concerts are they recording  those or what ? I ask because Metallica five hours ago streamed their Slane concert from last year with a tag of a fundraiser on it. I presume that to do with covid-19. If GNR has stuff like this why the hell isnt it on their official YouTube channel ? They get them taken down from non official channels but don't then Avail of the Channel they have ? This makes no sense at all. It would get eyes on the band and people like us would all probably watch shows we went to over past few years. 

If there is some logical reason why this isn't happening then I'd love to hear it but honestly I can't think of a logical reason. 

Probably Axl not sounding that great on any footage except for 2016...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jamillos said:

Probably Axl not sounding that great on any footage except for 2016...

Well then only go with 2016 then or go back to the UYI era and before. The UYI shows were recorded according to axl we've seen a few of them like Chicago and others. I mean for 18 years I've been a huge fan of this band(as have many many others) and will continue to be but FFS at times the band and management make it bloody hard to care. I know there was the locked and loaded box set which looked great but there is so much more that they could do. Maybe I'm being too harsh but to use a cricket term the old run rate of guns n roses isn't anything to write home about. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Well then only go with 2016 then or go back to the UYI era and before. The UYI shows were recorded according to axl we've seen a few of them like Chicago and others. I mean for 18 years I've been a huge fan of this band(as have many many others) and will continue to be but FFS at times the band and management make it bloody hard to care. I know there was the locked and loaded box set which looked great but there is so much more that they could do. Maybe I'm being too harsh but to use a cricket term the old run rate of guns n roses isn't anything to write home about. 

Im just hoping management exceed our expectations when it comes to the illusions anniversary next year.

7 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Nice cricket term dude. 

If you look at some of the anniversary boxsets that have been released in recent years - Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Metallica. Most of them have been excellent content and really affordable. No one really wants or needs a ridiculous junk box.

We want remastered albums, rare unreleased tracks, live CD/DVD. 5-6 Discs for £60. They can also add a vinyl package and everyone will be happy. 

No one will be saying 'Where's the fake tattoos' 

10 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im just hoping management exceed our expectations when it comes to the illusions anniversary next year.

Seriously this.

UYI desperately needs a remaster, along with a slew of 5 or 6 live shows with it. I think we have or have had most of the spare demos and outtakes from the sessions-so that doesn't interest me much. But, proshots ❤️❤️❤️😁😁😁 also, if it still exists, the Perfect Crime documentary would be awesome

Do GNR cover bands exist in NYC? How possible/realistic would be for a guy from Brazil like me move to NYC and find a cover band needing a lead cover singer so I could join them and live my dream?

Edited by ezosk
Typo

Do you guys think the "Nu Ax" comment on the Rough Mixes #3 disc refers to vocals that had been recently recorded (meaning they were recorded in late 2000), or vocals that were "new" in that they replaced vocals he'd done in the mid-90s, but could've been recorded at any time during the CD sessions (1999-2000)?

It seems likely that Hardschool is the song that "Slash planted the seed for" or whatever that quote from Richard was, and we know that Axl didn't replace many vocal parts. Is "Nu Ax" indicative that he recorded some vocals for it while Slash and Duff were still working on it? Or do you think he recorded the vocals in 1999-2000, and re-recorded them in late 2000?

a7Hfwr3.png

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Do you guys think the "Nu Ax" comment on the Rough Mixes #3 disc refers to vocals that had been recently recorded (meaning they were recorded in late 2000), or vocals that were "new" in that they replaced vocals he'd done in the mid-90s, but could've been recorded at any time during the CD sessions (1999-2000)?

It seems likely that Hardschool is the song that "Slash planted the seed for" or whatever that quote from Richard was, and we know that Axl didn't replace many vocal parts. Is "Nu Ax" indicative that he recorded some vocals for it while Slash and Duff were still working on it? Or do you think he recorded the vocals in 1999-2000, and re-recorded them in late 2000?

a7Hfwr3.png

Could really mean either I suppose. Can’t recall - was that the only one that had ‘Nu Ax’? If it’s the only one then yeah, it could be that original vocals were recorded pre-99. I know some said ‘No Vox’ suggesting those songs did have vocals somewhere.

20 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

UYI desperately needs a remaster

Does it? I'm fine with how the Illusions sound, for me it's the best the band ever sounded (along with TSI) in regards of sound quality. Izzy could have been a bit higher in the mix, tho. 

20 hours ago, ezosk said:

Do GNR cover bands exist in NYC? How possible/realistic would be for a guy from Brazil like me move to NYC and find a cover band needing a lead cover singer so I could join them and live my dream?

I honestly think you would have more chance playing in a GNR cover band staying in Brazil.