DeadSlash

"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

4 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Well then only go with 2016 then or go back to the UYI era and before. The UYI shows were recorded according to axl we've seen a few of them like Chicago and others. I mean for 18 years I've been a huge fan of this band(as have many many others) and will continue to be but FFS at times the band and management make it bloody hard to care. I know there was the locked and loaded box set which looked great but there is so much more that they could do. Maybe I'm being too harsh but to use a cricket term the old run rate of guns n roses isn't anything to write home about. 

Im just hoping management exceed our expectations when it comes to the illusions anniversary next year.

7 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Well then only go with 2016 then or go back to the UYI era and before. The UYI shows were recorded according to axl we've seen a few of them like Chicago and others. I mean for 18 years I've been a huge fan of this band(as have many many others) and will continue to be but FFS at times the band and management make it bloody hard to care. I know there was the locked and loaded box set which looked great but there is so much more that they could do. Maybe I'm being too harsh but to use a cricket term the old run rate of guns n roses isn't anything to write home about. 

Nice cricket term dude. 

If you look at some of the anniversary boxsets that have been released in recent years - Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Metallica. Most of them have been excellent content and really affordable. No one really wants or needs a ridiculous junk box.

We want remastered albums, rare unreleased tracks, live CD/DVD. 5-6 Discs for £60. They can also add a vinyl package and everyone will be happy. 

No one will be saying 'Where's the fake tattoos' 

10 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im just hoping management exceed our expectations when it comes to the illusions anniversary next year.

Seriously this.

UYI desperately needs a remaster, along with a slew of 5 or 6 live shows with it. I think we have or have had most of the spare demos and outtakes from the sessions-so that doesn't interest me much. But, proshots ❤️❤️❤️😁😁😁 also, if it still exists, the Perfect Crime documentary would be awesome

Do GNR cover bands exist in NYC? How possible/realistic would be for a guy from Brazil like me move to NYC and find a cover band needing a lead cover singer so I could join them and live my dream?

Edited by ezosk
Typo

19 minutes ago, ezosk said:

Do GNR cover bands exist in NYC? How possible/realistic would be for a guy from Brazil like me move to NYC and find a cover band needing a lead cover singer so I could join them and live my dream?

Not realistic until this virus stuff is over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Not realistic until this virus stuff is over.

Yes I was asking in general, not short term.

Do you guys think the "Nu Ax" comment on the Rough Mixes #3 disc refers to vocals that had been recently recorded (meaning they were recorded in late 2000), or vocals that were "new" in that they replaced vocals he'd done in the mid-90s, but could've been recorded at any time during the CD sessions (1999-2000)?

It seems likely that Hardschool is the song that "Slash planted the seed for" or whatever that quote from Richard was, and we know that Axl didn't replace many vocal parts. Is "Nu Ax" indicative that he recorded some vocals for it while Slash and Duff were still working on it? Or do you think he recorded the vocals in 1999-2000, and re-recorded them in late 2000?

a7Hfwr3.png

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Do you guys think the "Nu Ax" comment on the Rough Mixes #3 disc refers to vocals that had been recently recorded (meaning they were recorded in late 2000), or vocals that were "new" in that they replaced vocals he'd done in the mid-90s, but could've been recorded at any time during the CD sessions (1999-2000)?

It seems likely that Hardschool is the song that "Slash planted the seed for" or whatever that quote from Richard was, and we know that Axl didn't replace many vocal parts. Is "Nu Ax" indicative that he recorded some vocals for it while Slash and Duff were still working on it? Or do you think he recorded the vocals in 1999-2000, and re-recorded them in late 2000?

a7Hfwr3.png

Could really mean either I suppose. Can’t recall - was that the only one that had ‘Nu Ax’? If it’s the only one then yeah, it could be that original vocals were recorded pre-99. I know some said ‘No Vox’ suggesting those songs did have vocals somewhere.

20 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

UYI desperately needs a remaster

Does it? I'm fine with how the Illusions sound, for me it's the best the band ever sounded (along with TSI) in regards of sound quality. Izzy could have been a bit higher in the mix, tho. 

20 hours ago, ezosk said:

I honestly think you would have more chance playing in a GNR cover band staying in Brazil. 

12 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Does it? I'm fine with how the Illusions sound, for me it's the best the band ever sounded (along with TSI) in regards of sound quality. Izzy could have been a bit higher in the mix, tho. 

I honestly think you would have more chance playing in a GNR cover band staying in Brazil. 

The only issue I have with UYI is the snare sound - for some reason it ‘dates’ the albums. A minor gripe.....TSI had it spot-on IMO.

4 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

The only issue I have with UYI is the snare sound - for some reason it ‘dates’ the albums. A minor gripe.....TSI had it spot-on IMO.

Agree about the drums. But TSI lacks a bit of the Illusions dynamics. To me, that makes it both even, kinda.

7 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Agree about the drums. But TSI lacks a bit of the Illusions dynamics. To me, that makes it both even, kinda.

I know what you mean - what would a ‘Estranged’ type song sound like with TSI sonics? Good question.

In these terrible times, it's beyond forgiveable if GnR don't want to do a tiny effort for the fans. 

Don't blame the record company. I simple call would be enough. They would agree to give away a song or two in these circumstances. 

If GnR don't do Anything extraordinary in these extraordinary times, I will never respect them again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

REALLY delayed double post!?

Edited by DTJ80
  • Confused 1

Illusions needs to sonically sound more crisp. I think the production, sonically, on TSI sounds better  than illusions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I think the production value is the weakest of all the albums of GN'Rs catalogue. The guitars don't sound as crisp to me, Izzy is a bit muted, drums don't have much punch; think of the first note of Rocket Queen, then compare to the intro for Locomotive. A lot of UYI songs could benefit from a remaster. It doesn't sound terrible, but when we only 4 full length albums from the band-i count lies and Live like a suicide separately as EPs, it feel frustrating that the production value took a step back from Appetite

3 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I think the production value is the weakest of all the albums of GN'Rs catalogue. The guitars don't sound as crisp to me, Izzy is a bit muted, drums don't have much punch; think of the first note of Rocket Queen, then compare to the intro for Locomotive. A lot of UYI songs could benefit from a remaster. It doesn't sound terrible, but when we only 4 full length albums from the band-i count lies and Live like a suicide separately as EPs, it feel frustrating that the production value took a step back from Appetite

Although I think a remaster won't change those specific things neccesarily - a remaster is just taking the mixdown master tape and applying new processes such as EQ and compression (and hopefully never too much of it lol hello there Loudness Wars). Kind of like how with the Appetite remaster there were slight changes due to added compression but with certain frequencies emphasized such as slightly boosted bottom end, the changes are all more on the subtle, and broad stroke side of things.  It can make some differences, however I think that a lot of the things you mentioned such as Izzy's guitar or the actual sound of the drums on Locomotive, a remix would be the solution for that.  Taking the multitracks of the drums and applying different procceses on them, bumping up Izzy's guitar, changing up the stereo image a bit, etc.

I personally always liked the sound of the Illusions however I can see how others wouldn't for sure.  I really enjoy the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab remasters of the Illusions that have a slightly more dynamic range and a smooth crankable sound.

Edited by WhazUp

19 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Although I think a remaster won't change those specific things neccesarily - a remaster is just taking the mixdown master tape and applying new processes such as EQ and compression (and hopefully never too much of it lol hello there Loudness Wars). Kind of like how with the Appetite remaster there were slight changes due to added compression but with certain frequencies emphasized such as slightly boosted bottom end, the changes are all more on the subtle, and broad stroke side of things.  It can make some differences, however I think that a lot of the things you mentioned such as Izzy's guitar or the actual sound of the drums on Locomotive, a remix would be the solution for that.  Taking the multitracks of the drums and applying different procceses on them, bumping up Izzy's guitar, changing up the stereo image a bit, etc.

I personally always liked the sound of the Illusions however I can see how others wouldn't for sure.  I really enjoy the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab remasters of the Illusions that have a slightly more dynamic range and a smooth crankable sound.

Ah, very true, didn't even consider that. A total remix could possibly fix the issues people have with the drums and guitars. I think the illusions were mixed for CD's and the loudness war in mind; hopefully a remix could better layout the vision the band had for the songs, if you listen to the live versions, there seems to be a disconnect in my opinion. Although, this could be from the trouble of the production, not necessarily the mix.  

11 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Yeah, probably, problem is: of all "gnr cover bands" that I've seen here, they're just interested in actually being covers of the version of Guns N' Roses that existed between '85 and '93.
I really would like to be a part of a "not in this lifetime" or nugnr version of Guns.

Guess I'm a bit of a lunatic anyways.

14 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Could really mean either I suppose. Can’t recall - was that the only one that had ‘Nu Ax’? If it’s the only one then yeah, it could be that original vocals were recorded pre-99. I know some said ‘No Vox’ suggesting those songs did have vocals somewhere.

Yea Hardschool was the only one that said Nu Ax, and I think Zodiac was the only one that said No Vox.

9 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the guitars dont sound as crisp. I mean, it's Slash different tone (heavier, a lot more gain), which I love. And also Izzy being very low in the mix (but also some very uninspired guitar work there, compared to what he did in AFD). I don't think a remix would fix that for what you said either.

1 hour ago, ezosk said:

Yeah, probably, problem is: of all "gnr cover bands" that I've seen here, they're just interested in actually being covers of the version of Guns N' Roses that existed between '85 and '93.
I really would like to be a part of a "not in this lifetime" or nugnr version of Guns.

Guess I'm a bit of a lunatic anyways.

I understand. I tried to play in a new GNR band back in 2007. One of my worst experiences in a band ever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the guitars dont sound as crisp. I mean, it's Slash different tone (heavier, a lot more gain), which I love. And also Izzy being very low in the mix (but also some very uninspired guitar work there, compared to what he did in AFD). I don't think a remix would fix that for what you said either.

I understand. I tried to play in a new GNR band back in 2007. One of my worst experiences in a band ever.

I think, if you were to compare Appetite and TSI in terms of fidelity, its got to do with the soundstage, and dynamic range of the mix. It just feels off to me, I honestly think the drums are too loud, over power slash and Izzy's playing. Sort of muddies the entire mix for me. If you just do A and B tests with TSI, UYI feels inferior. 

TSI is loud!! That was my 1st gnr CD.

Talkin about UYIs.... the managment have a lot of options. A big catalogue to make it more big than the AFD LnL.

First of all, they have a lot of demos/takes with awesome quality. And the tour.... this is the best imo, just put 1 show per year at least and make some 4K restoration with 60 fps minimun.

Bluray audio with alternative endings or takes (like the 14 years extended outro). 

Bluray from PCrime doxumentary of course. 

• Like 2