"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

On 3/28/2020 at 2:33 PM, RussTCB said:

I'm fine with the overall production on all the GN'R albums actually. I think the UYIs sound the best overall though. 

If anything, I would LOVE to get AFD as a completely dry mix like the version of Brownstone from the 12" single. I just think that song sounds SO much meaner without all the reverb. I can't imagine how great the rest of the album would sound that way. 

So, hadn't heard the mix in a while, just listened and definitely thought it sounded great. I don't really dislike the reverb on Appetite; but without it, it definitely sounds more punkish/metal, not as bluesy/hard rock. Would be interesting to hear Nightrain, Jungle, PC, You're Crazy.

I've always wanted to hear properly mastered tracks from Live like a suicide without the crowd noise too. 

I just think UYI sounds too, maybe polished isn't the right word, but it sounds like an ACDC album. To me, at least, it sounds the most dated of all of GN'Rs catalogue. Along with some curious choices for recording, like all the added effects on Garden of Eden, Perfect Crime, fade out on DTJ, My World? Haha, the over production of KOHD. 

UYI has some of my favorite songs, but not recordings. The songs play out so much better live than in the studio. To the point, it feels hard to get my friends interested in GN'R showing them stuff from UYI. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

So, hadn't heard the mix in a while, just listened and definitely thought it sounded great. I don't really dislike the reverb on Appetite; but without it, it definitely sounds more punkish/metal, not as bluesy/hard rock. Would be interesting to hear Nightrain, Jungle, PC, You're Crazy.

I've always wanted to hear properly mastered tracks from Live like a suicide without the crowd noise too. 

I just think UYI sounds too, maybe polished isn't the right word, but it sounds like an ACDC album. To me, at least, it sounds the most dated of all of GN'Rs catalogue. Along with some curious choices for recording, like all the added effects on Garden of Eden, Perfect Crime, fade out on DTJ, My World? Haha, the over production of KOHD. 

UYI has some of my favorite songs, but not recordings. The songs play out so much better live than in the studio. To the point, it feels hard to get my friends interested in GN'R showing them stuff from UYI. 

I agree with what you're saying about the reverb on AFD. I really don't mind it, but when I heard that mix of Brownstone, it really stood out. I would just love to hear the rest of the album that way is all. 

I hear what you're saying about UYI as well. I think maybe I've just ignored that polish over the years, maybe? 

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I agree with what you're saying about the reverb on AFD. I really don't mind it, but when I heard that mix of Brownstone, it really stood out. I would just love to hear the rest of the album that way is all. 

I hear what you're saying about UYI as well. I think maybe I've just ignored that polish over the years, maybe? 

I think i did too. It was only after dozens of UYI bootlegs i realized, damn, something got lost in recording. Some tracks largely remain the same, like You Could Be Mine, from studio to live performances; but when i first heard Pretty Tied Up from the Oklahoma '92 show, i thought why didn't they just record something like this? Same thing with Dust N' Bones from the Stockholm '91 shows. I was floooooooored.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I think i did too. It was only after dozens of UYI bootlegs i realized, damn, something got lost in recording. Some tracks largely remain the same, like You Could Be Mine, from studio to live performances; but when i first heard Pretty Tied Up from the Oklahoma '92 show, i thought why didn't they just record something like this? Same thing with Dust N' Bones from the Stockholm '91 shows. I was floooooooored.

Side note, that Stockholm show was the first GNR bootleg I ever heard. Loved it! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

A proper mix of Crash Diet with Axl would be amazing.

Years ago I remember a "Qsound" version of the Illusions that came from tapes. I couldn't really hear much of a difference. 

It is irritating that there are 2 versions of Crash Diet out there and both are so ‘crackly’. Better than nothing but someone must have a better sounding version - even the original source.

21 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

It is irritating that there are 2 versions of Crash Diet out there and both are so ‘crackly’. Better than nothing but someone must have a better sounding version - even the original source.

Wasn't that recorded in a shitty tape recorder already with that drum machine? I don't think there is a much better quality out there. 

I like the song. But the guitar solo is awful hahaha

On 31/03/2020 at 2:15 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

I think the reverb in Adler's drums makes AFD a much more dated album. 

That fake orchestra in November Rain though.. 

I haven't had the chance to fully appreciate the better quality of the demos of the songs that made Chinese until fairly recently. When Catcher first leaked, it was my favourite song. I played it to death and finding out that Brian May played lead was also another big draw (I'm a massive Queen fan). The demo on the Village Sessions is just a lot clearer and smoother on the ears than the leak we got back in 2006, but truly highlights just what a great song it is. Axl Rose at his best as a songwriter and as a vocalist. The structure of the demo is vastly superior to the album version in my opinion. I've said that Atlas has one of the best intros Guns has ever produced, Catcher is definitely the same for the outro and it's a sin that Bumble's playing all over the top of Axl at the start of it - I think Brian comes in at "You were the instrument"

It just works fucking beautifully. Great song and I wish the album version had the same charm as the demo. I know not all agree with me and there are many who prefer Bumble's solo, even Axl himself, but all in I feel the demo is vastly superior.

I also love having the luxury of these sessions.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I've been a fan of this band for 8 years now and I never noticed that there's clapping in Think About You

I love the breakdown toward the end during axls call and response parts. Wish axls voice was still like that. One fine izzy song, and izzy wrote the lyrics.

Im going to put on some earphones and turn it up and listen to the song again!!.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • GNFNR 1

23 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I've been a fan of this band for 8 years now and I never noticed that there's clapping in Think About You

I've been a fan since 1988-ish and never noticed. :lol:

4 hours ago, Dean said:

The structure of the demo is vastly superior to the album version in my opinion. I've said that Atlas has one of the best intros Guns has ever produced, Catcher is definitely the same for the outro and it's a sin that Bumble's playing all over the top of Axl at the start of it - I think Brian comes in at "You were the instrument"

I don't dislike Bumble's solos (I'm actually working on learning how to play it), but I agree 100% with you on this. The outro is much more cohesive and tight with the more tasteful Brian solo. Also love Robin's rhythm guitar in this part, kinda like building up to Brian's lead.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

Didn't West Arkeen do that solo? Or was it Zakk Wylde?

I liked it, just thought it needed to be refined in the studio.

That's West Arkeen I guess. Zakk wasn't even a thing back when the demo was recorded. 

To me, sounds like mindless shredding going nowhere. It's not bad, but not really my thing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

That's West Arkeen I guess. Zakk wasn't even a thing back when the demo was recorded. 

To me, sounds like mindless shredding going nowhere. It's not bad, but not really my thing. 

I don't disagree with the mindless shredding, definitely out of place for the time in that band. Just something different, I suppose. 

• Like 1

I love all the activity in the music world right now. Green Day releasing an album last month, releasing an EP, today, Billie Joe releasing a cover song every Monday, Bob Dylan releasing  new 17 min song, Metallica releasing old concerts every Monday for the world to watch, Pearl Jam new album, Eminem dropping an album out of nowhere and then there is Guns.....

• Sad 1

I was just last night thinking was the appetite for destruction in the locked and loaded box set the first of GNRs albums to be remastered ? I think it is but just wanted to check. I know led zeppelin have remastered their stuff several times but I'm happy with my copies of those albums of the 1994 remasters. 

My point is if GNR start remastering all their massive back catalogue will we lose what made the albums great at the time of their release ? I mean I've things I don't like on the UYI albums and given I've relistened to very recently during my in order relisten but if we start messing with stuff too much we may lose the magic. 

Also, while I'm here. Has look at your game girl been removed from the end of TSI or is it still there ? It's still on mine but I've had my copy for years. 

9 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

I was just last night thinking was the appetite for destruction in the locked and loaded box set the first of GNRs albums to be remastered ? I think it is but just wanted to check. I know led zeppelin have remastered their stuff several times but I'm happy with my copies of those albums of the 1994 remasters. 

The Appetite remaster is the first remaster to be advertised from GNR for sure, and the first to really be canonized by GNR

Mobile Fidelity, an audiophile label had previously years ago remastered Appetite, Lies, and the Illusions on their own label - these as far as I know are the only other times there were actual bonafide new masters and not just reissues and repackaging