"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

8 hours ago, mamundson said:

I love all the activity in the music world right now. Green Day releasing an album last month, releasing an EP, today, Billie Joe releasing a cover song every Monday, Bob Dylan releasing  new 17 min song, Metallica releasing old concerts every Monday for the world to watch, Pearl Jam new album, Eminem dropping an album out of nowhere and then there is Guns.....

Fiona Apple just announced she will release her new album on April 17th. She said people wanted her to release in October, but she just didnt feel like waiting that much.

18 hours ago, mamundson said:

I think he/she is being sarcastic, meaning Guns really doesn’t have much of one, which I agree. They have a lot of great songs, but not many albums.

I know and I wrote massive back catalogue intentionally and it was nice to someone notice the joke quickly. 

Just read a thread from 2006 when THAT and the 2003ish mix of IRS first leaked. Then the 2000 Beaven mix of IRS leaked and even back then people were saying the original versions and demos sounded far better then the most recent mixes. 

CD hasn't even been released and people were already saying the older versions were better. Just thought that was pretty interesting. 

Also, those 2006 early leaks were from around 2003 Yeah? They're post RTB versions when, Tommy said, things were pretty much rerecorded starting from scratch minus some solos and the vocals. 

6 hours ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

hello everybody. hope all of you are ok in this special période. 

I'm looking for some video where we can see Axl driving a car (I think a Ferrari ) and get out of it. I think it was for the video of Better. Does someone remenber that ?

That's the beginning of the Better music video. I'll send it to you in a few hours. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

That's the beginning of the Better music video. I'll send it to you in a few hours. :thumbsup:

so cool. such a shame we didn't have the video. does we know why ?

why producing a video clip and not putting on line ?...............I know ...we are talking about GNR !!!

I think they should have left the rest of GNR lies off the locked and loaded boxset if they were going to leave one in a million off. I'm in no way defending the lyrics at all and the specific terms used shouldn't be condoned but neither should they be ignored. The world isn't all sunshine and rainbows and yes bands released songs with very questionable lyrics and themes. I see they left I used to love her on which in a way isn't a great message if taken literally. 

My point is that the way things are going nothing pre 2016 with anything even remotely questionable will be rewritten. You don't learn from history in general if you sanitise it. You don't have to condone music or comedy or whatever it was from the past that was not PC but don't pretend it didnt happen.

ive no idea if I'm taking shit or not but I needed to say that.

14 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

I think they should have left the rest of GNR lies off the locked and loaded boxset if they were going to leave one in a million off. I'm in no way defending the lyrics at all and the specific terms used shouldn't be condoned but neither should they be ignored. The world isn't all sunshine and rainbows and yes bands released songs with very questionable lyrics and themes. I see they left I used to love her on which in a way isn't a great message if taken literally. 

My point is that the way things are going nothing pre 2016 with anything even remotely questionable will be rewritten. You don't learn from history in general if you sanitise it. You don't have to condone music or comedy or whatever it was from the past that was not PC but don't pretend it didnt happen.

ive no idea if I'm taking shit or not but I needed to say that.

As someone with a bachelor's in history, studying to be a teacher and historian; not that this would make my opinion more valid than the next, i think it was justified leaving the track off for a couple of reasons.

1. Mainly i think Axl Rose wrote that song as a "vicarious" sort of frame story. If you want to argue the song is racist, i think you could make terrific points, i just seem to think Axl Rose hasn't really displayed a level of racism that seems congruent with the song, or homophobia for that matter: i could be wrong though.

BUT, his defense of that song, from what i could ascertain, was more about free speech to say the words in the song, rather than saying 

"This is a song about how some white trash person from Indiana feels". Rather than the song being an expose into the thoughts of some late '80s white dude, it's galvanized people to pointing towards Axl as a piece of shit, or people ardently defending Axl; let's face it, Axl is, by definition a pretty astonishing person.

2. Even at the height of the band it wasn't performed but what, once or twice? It's not really essential, which isn't a good reason, but pragmatically i think everyone is just 'fine' with the boxset; or more precisely, that's the least of our problems with it. Would you, or most GN'R fans you know listen to that song without warning or candidly around other people? Just curious.

3. The song is still on Spotify, Apple music, YouTube, YouTubes official music app etc. Not really being scrubed from history. I'm kinda sad the song is written the way it is, i like the structure, and chorus lyrics, and Slash's solo

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I aree with @UsedYourIllusion.   I don't agree with @IrishgunnerII     I am glad GnR left the whole damn song off  with it's racists homophobic lyric. It is good they only performed only 2-3 times then.   It is not a matter of scrubbing history or learning from it. This not like the  controversery of Confederate statues, etc.                                                                 This is a dumb song by  a dumb rock band, what I mean is nothing historic to be studied by society and scholars . According  to Izzy's interview way after, they did not want him to say that. Why say that because it was ugly, not how they were,  etc. Then they all became quilty by association. Then then had the ugly element of SkinheadsNazis thinking, "you are one of us" and then the media attention was not good.  See his interview.                                                                              My question was why  let the crazy guy do this? Duff, Izzy, Steven ,Slash were stoned or drunk or both if theday ended in the word day. Axl was crazy  and was undiagnosed at the time and was a  bully and looking for controversy all of the time.                                          Slash, being biracial, which people did not know, should have said no to that. Walk off. See my reason above. Out of his head.Those words were not who were then, in my opinion , and who they are not now. In my opinion, they all 5 really regret that and that is why the 3 in charge took it out of rotation on their boxed set  and in concert too.

Edited by Amaya
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Amaya said:

I aree with @UsedYourIllusion.   I don't agree with @IrishgunnerII     I am glad GnR left the whole damn song off  with it's racists homophobic lyric. It is good they only performed only 2-3 times then.   It is not a matter of scrubbing history or learning from it. This not like the  controversery of Confederate statues, etc.                                                                 This is a dumb song by  a dumb rock band, what I mean is nothing historic to be studied by society and scholars . According  to Izzy's interview way after, they did not want him to say that. Why say that because it was ugly, not how they were,  etc. Then they all became quilty by association. Then then had the ugly element of SkinheadsNazis thinking, "you are one of us" and then the media attention was not good.  See his interview.                                                                              My question was why  let the crazy guy do this? Duff, Izzy, Steven ,Slash were stoned or drunk or both if the the day ended in the word day. Axl was crazy  and was undiagnosed at the time and was a  bully and looking for controversy all of the time.                                          Slash, being biracial, which people did not know, should have said no to that. Walk off. See my reason above. Out of his head.Those words were not who were then, in my opinion , and who they are not now. In my opinion, they all 5 really regret that and that is why the 3 in charge took it out of rotation on their boxed set  and in concert too.

Honestly I don't have much bad feelings about this song.

& I'm originally Iranian (like start some mini-Iran) and I actually enjoy the song musically at least. 

Whether it falls under political correctness or not, but I see it as a song written by a naive young & volnurable american guy who might have had bad experiences with 1st gen foreigners and openly talks about it. But musically this song has one of the best Axl Vocals to this date. Also "spreading some fucking disease" could be scientifically correct. Naturally some people were migrating to USA and bringing unknown disease with themselves to the country. Hello COVID?!

And btw thank god back in time there was no "Me Too" movement and the political correctness was not as intense as nowadays, otherwise their career would be over before they could even tour their album lol  

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Honestly I don't have much bad feelings about this song.

& I'm originally Iranian (like start some mini-Iran) and I actually enjoy the song musically at least. 

Whether it falls under political correctness or not, but I see it as a song written by a naive young & volnurable american guy who might have had bad experiences with 1st gen foreigners and openly talks about it. But musically this song has one of the best Axl Vocals to this date. Also "spreading some fucking disease" could be scientifically correct. Naturally some people were migrating to USA and bringing unknown disease with themselves to the country. Hello COVID?!

And btw thank god back in time there was no "Me Too" movement and the political correctness was not as intense as nowadays, otherwise their career would be over before they could even tour their album lol  

Racism is racism. It is not a matter of "political correctness," but a matter of racism.

Axl doesnt simply share thoughts on an experience. He shares racist thoughts.

There was a huge backlash at the time. They were removed from a concert bill and protested widely at other concerts. Not because of some vague term "political correctness" but because of racism and homophobia. Then later, the very public feud with Nirvana was centred on Nirvanas criticisms of Axl and Guns as "homophobes" and misogynists. Following that feud, Axl disappeared for nearly a decade...

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Racism is racism. It is not a matter of "political correctness," but a matter of racism.

Axl doesnt simply share thoughts on an experience. He shares racist thoughts.

There was a huge backlash at the time. They were removed from a concert bill and protested widely at other concerts. Not because of some vague term "political correctness" but because of racism and homophobia. Then later, the very public feud with Nirvana was centred on Nirvanas criticisms of Axl and Guns as "homophobes" and misogynists. Following that feud, Axl disappeared for nearly a decade...

ok. I refrain to comment as it can turn nasty. but I respect your opinion. ;-)

1 hour ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Also "spreading some fucking disease" could be scientifically correct. Naturally some people were migrating to USA and bringing unknown disease with themselves to the country. Hello COVID?! 

Well, so you'll have to make a whole point about Europe and it's history of spreading disease around the world.

BTW, the covid-19 arrived here in Brazil after rich people's vacation in Italy. 

Well, now for something completely different; i had an interesting conversation with a friend: what genre of music is GN'R a best fit in? I think most people would just say rock if they only casually know the band. I think it's a weird band to try and label. Yeah, a lot of songs feel like hard rock. But what about Coma, Perfect Crime, Locomotive, DTJ, You Could Be Mine? They're not really a metal band, but i wouldn't say they're just hard rock like old Aerosmith. 

They feel heavier to me than a band like Motley Crue, but not like a band like Pantera or Sepultura or Metallica. Hard rock just feels inadequate a label i guess 🤷

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Well, now for something completely different; i had an interesting conversation with a friend: what genre of music is GN'R a best fit in? I think most people would just say rock if they only casually know the band. I think it's a weird band to try and label. Yeah, a lot of songs feel like hard rock. But what about Coma, Perfect Crime, Locomotive, DTJ, You Could Be Mine? They're not really a metal band, but i wouldn't say they're just hard rock like old Aerosmith. 

They feel heavier to me than a band like Motley Crue, but not like a band like Pantera or Sepultura or Metallica. Hard rock just feels inadequate a label i guess 🤷

Hard rock fits well IMO. 

I just hate when people call it "hair metal". 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I love hair metal but GnR is so much better than all the hair bands that came out of the sunset strip in the 80s. Much more substance in the songs.

And it's also a different sound. Slash and Izzy were more akin to the 70s classic rock bands not only in tone, but playing style. Even Duff's punk-rock influences in his bass are way different than what other bands were doing at that time.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Was GNR’s Mexico concert the last big concert? Does anyone here know who the last large band or artist to perform live was?

Stereophonics played an arena gig in Cardiff, Wales, on March 15th, the day after that GNR gig in Mexico.

I'm glad that we got that small snippet of them playing Hard School. I've been 0% frustrated with this band since then. That's all I needed. Just some concrete evidence of them doing something with the unreleased material. Hearing them play Hard School shows that they're serious about doing something with new music. That's all I needed to know.

• GNFNR 1

37 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Question for all the Izzy fans: if Izzy did come back full time, and accepted whatever money they offered, do you think Fortus would quit/be fired? I think they'd almost definitely go back to being a 3-guitar band. Would that be 'worth it' or would they be too diluted?

Axl would not fire 4tus because he's been a loyal member for almost 20 years + he needs him for the more technical stuff on CD songs.. so if Izzy came back, I think it would be a 3-guitar-band 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Question for all the Izzy fans: if Izzy did come back full time, and accepted whatever money they offered, do you think Fortus would quit/be fired? I think they'd almost definitely go back to being a 3-guitar band. Would that be 'worth it' or would they be too diluted?

Like Sau3r, I think they'd go to a three guitar lineup. I think that would be great, Slash has great riffs under a lot of his solos which could get played, and that could open up to a really heavy sound. God i really really really realllllllly hope this happens. I need to hear Dust N' Bones live, in person. Plus, Fortus seems like the most adaptable person, along with Duff, he could mesh well with almost any lineup no problem

• Like 2

On 10/04/2020 at 8:33 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

I doubt slash would go for a 3 guitar lineup as this was almost axls intention when zakk briefly jammed in 94/95. From reading commentary in slashs book he wasnt comfortable with it.

Edited by Sydney Fan