"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

I doubt slash would go for a 3 guitar lineup as this was almost axls intention when zakk briefly jammed in 94/95. From reading commentary in slashs book he wasnt comfortable with it.

It doesn't seem it was Axl's intention with Zakk, as Paul Tobias wasn't part of the jams/sessions with him. I don't think Slash said anything about three guitars in his book, he just repeated he wasn't comfortable with the second guitarist being a lead guitarist like himself.

It seems, though, that Axl might have thrown that idea earlier as a way to keep Gilby in the band, because he didn't want to write with Gilby and wanted to get another guitarist as a writer. So it seems he suggested that they would keep Gilby as a "side guy" and a touring member.

I don't like the idea of putting Izzy in just for the sake of it. Never gonna happen anyway at this point.

But if they did, Izzy should be the only player along side Slash. And he should be turned up live and be heard. He shouldn't just be there to sing Dust n Bones. 

34 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

How long has the Iceland 2018 soundboard recording been around?

Someone just posted it on reddit. Axl is really high in the mix and man... he sounds pretty rough.

I guess it's the first soundboard recording of Slither and SOYL though?

This needs it's own thread mate!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 8:28 PM, Blackstar said:

It doesn't seem it was Axl's intention with Zakk, as Paul Tobias wasn't part of the jams/sessions with him. I don't think Slash said anything about three guitars in his book, he just repeated he wasn't comfortable with the second guitarist being a lead guitarist like himself.

It seems, though, that Axl might have thrown that idea earlier as a way to keep Gilby in the band, because he didn't want to write with Gilby and wanted to get another guitarist as a writer. So it seems he suggested that they would keep Gilby as a "side guy" and a touring member.

Do you got a quote or something that says Axl didn’t want to write with Gilby at the time?, I’ve read this a couple times, but never something more about it. It would be interesting and definitely would make sense that it happened.

39 minutes ago, NicoGNR5 said:

Do you got a quote or something that says Axl didn’t want to write with Gilby at the time?, I’ve read this a couple times, but never something more about it. It would be interesting and definitely would make sense that it happened.

There are many quotes from Slash stating this:

Slash: When this first came up, Gilby, Duff, Matt and myself were rehearsing. It wasn’t a great rehearsal, I was just trying to get Guns together. I had weird thoughts about what was going on, and then I got a phone call from Axl (about) the fact that he didn’t wanna write with Gilby but we'd keep him on as a side guy. He’s adamant. […] So I took Gilby to dinner and said this is what's going on; I just don’t want you to hear it from somebody else. Then Gilby had a conversation with Axl that didn’t turn out well, then there was a fight with Duff and the next thing you know everything was f***ed up. [The Gazette, Jan. 26, 1995]

Slash: One night, after I came home from a rehearsal with Gilby, Matt and Duff – we were writing new songs - Axl called me on the phone and told me that he didn’t want to work with Gilby anymore. I thought, ‘Fuck...’ From the way he said it, I understood that he was serious. For some strange reason, Gilby didn’t get to write any songs with Guns N 'Roses – I mean, he wrote with me for my album, but he never had the opportunity to write a single thing for GN'R. Anyway, from the way Axl talked to me about it, I realised that there was nothing I could do to fix the situation. He had made his decision, and I don’t even know the reason that led him to it. So I went out to dinner with Gilby and told him what was going on, because I didn’t want him to find out from third parties. He had already recorded his solo album when the problem with Axl came up. [Popular 1 (Spain), February 1995]

Slash: The whole Guns N' Roses situation with Gilby wasn't as cut and dry as it seems. He wasn't really fired officially. Axl just didn't wanna write with him. He never even got a chance to write with us. And so, I told Gilby that that was going on. So he didn't hear it from somewhere else. Because if you know, in this business, leaks are like crazy. And it's just best to be upfront and honest about thing. So I told him what was going on. Then he had words with Axl and then in turn he had words with Duff. And that sort of cemented the, you know, the relationship, the departure. Whatever you wanna call it. [FTZ FM, April 20, 1995]

Slash: Anyway, so as far as Gilby is concerned, I wouldn’t expect him to come back even, like I said, if he was asked, only because his feelings were hurt. Axl didn’t want to write with him and I had to go and tell Gilby myself that this was going on, so he didn’t hear it, you know, in the field or something or turned into some sort of weird rumor. So I went and told him and then – well, I think the thing that really itched in stone Gilby’s dismissal from Guns was the fact that he had words with Duff and he had words with Axl, and that sort of cemented the fact that he wasn’t in the band. But Axl still thinks, like he does with everybody, like, “Well, maybe we’ll have three guitar players, or maybe we’ll do this or maybe we’ll do that,” or “Gilby can come out live,” but whatever. And I come from a different point of view altogether: that you get the guy that fits naturally, you write together, he plays on the record and he does the tour. It’s not like we get a bunch of hired Guns just because Axl thinks that me and him are the only things that are really important in Guns N’ Roses, you know. I don’t think - it has always been a band to me, you know, so we’ll see what happens. [Unknown orignal source, 1995; Aired on Alice Cooper's Vintage Vault, 2020]  

In one of the interviews Slash said that he "sort of got along" with Axl over Gilby:

Slash: What happened was we were rehearsing and Gilby was really out of it one day. The morale of the band, we were all trying to keep it together and he was the odd man out that day. I was complaining and then Axl called me that same night and said he didn't want to work with Gilby anymore for a lot of different reasons. In a way I sort of went along with it, at least Axl thought I was going along with it because I had my own complaints from that night at rehearsal. This was about a year ago. […] [The dismissal of Gilby] was never etched in stone, but it was etched in Axl's mind. I knew there was no argument. Axl probably thought I was totally behind it. I went to talk to Gilby because I didn't want him to hear anything on the street. I told him what was going on, and everything was in a state of flux for a while. [Metal Edge, April 1995]

There is also this from Doug Goldstein:

Goldstein: We respected [Izzy's] decision, but needed to quickly find a replacement for the impending dates. We were able to find Gilby Clarke. Gilby toured with us to complete the "Illusions" tour. Shortly thereafter Axl and Gilby spoke about what Axl wanted to try next. After Izzy's departure Axl felt Guns could use a little help in the writing department. Axl thought the addition of another guitar player (#3) would help the situation. Unhappy with this, Gilby stated "I don't want to be in Molly Hatchet" and quit. [Newsweek, January 2000]

Axl himself had made it clear from the first moment Gilby was hired that they had gotten him for the tour but weren't sure if they would write with him:

Axl: Right now we have a guitar player named Gilby Clarke. And he’s been in Hollywood about as long as us. And, you know, he’s doing a really good job. But I don’t know about farther than the touring. […] I don’t know about the next album, you know. We’re still talking with other people and stuff as far as that goes. [Rockline, November 27, 1991]

And he said the same in late 1992:

Axl: We don't know if we're gonna be writing with Gilby or somebody else. We know we want to play with Gilby, but we're not sure about the writing. [Hit Parader, June 1993; interview from December 1992]

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Slash: When this first came up, Gilby, Duff, Matt and myself were rehearsing. It wasn’t a great rehearsal, I was just trying to get Guns together. I had weird thoughts about what was going on, and then I got a phone call from Axl (about) the fact that he didn’t wanna write with Gilby but we'd keep him on as a side guy. He’s adamant. […] So I took Gilby to dinner and said this is what's going on; I just don’t want you to hear it from somebody else. Then Gilby had a conversation with Axl that didn’t turn out well, then there was a fight with Duff and the next thing you know everything was f***ed up. [The Gazette, Jan. 26, 1995]

Slash: One night, after I came home from a rehearsal with Gilby, Matt and Duff – we were writing new songs - Axl called me on the phone and told me that he didn’t want to work with Gilby anymore. I thought, ‘Fuck...’ From the way he said it, I understood that he was serious. For some strange reason, Gilby didn’t get to write any songs with Guns N 'Roses – I mean, he wrote with me for my album, but he never had the opportunity to write a single thing for GN'R. Anyway, from the way Axl talked to me about it, I realised that there was nothing I could do to fix the situation. He had made his decision, and I don’t even know the reason that led him to it. So I went out to dinner with Gilby and told him what was going on, because I didn’t want him to find out from third parties. He had already recorded his solo album when the problem with Axl came up. [Popular 1 (Spain), February 1995]

Slash: The whole Guns N' Roses situation with Gilby wasn't as cut and dry as it seems. He wasn't really fired officially. Axl just didn't wanna write with him. He never even got a chance to write with us. And so, I told Gilby that that was going on. So he didn't hear it from somewhere else. Because if you know, in this business, leaks are like crazy. And it's just best to be upfront and honest about thing. So I told him what was going on. Then he had words with Axl and then in turn he had words with Duff. And that sort of cemented the, you know, the relationship, the departure. Whatever you wanna call it. [FTZ FM, April 20, 1995]

Slash: Anyway, so as far as Gilby is concerned, I wouldn’t expect him to come back even, like I said, if he was asked, only because his feelings were hurt. Axl didn’t want to write with him and I had to go and tell Gilby myself that this was going on, so he didn’t hear it, you know, in the field or something or turned into some sort of weird rumor. So I went and told him and then – well, I think the thing that really itched in stone Gilby’s dismissal from Guns was the fact that he had words with Duff and he had words with Axl, and that sort of cemented the fact that he wasn’t in the band. But Axl still thinks, like he does with everybody, like, “Well, maybe we’ll have three guitar players, or maybe we’ll do this or maybe we’ll do that,” or “Gilby can come out live,” but whatever. And I come from a different point of view altogether: that you get the guy that fits naturally, you write together, he plays on the record and he does the tour. It’s not like we get a bunch of hired Guns just because Axl thinks that me and him are the only things that are really important in Guns N’ Roses, you know. I don’t think - it has always been a band to me, you know, so we’ll see what happens. [Unknown orignal source, 1995; Aired on Alice Cooper's Vintage Vault, 2020]  

In one of the interviews Slash said that he "sort of got along" with Axl over Gilby:

Slash: What happened was we were rehearsing and Gilby was really out of it one day. The morale of the band, we were all trying to keep it together and he was the odd man out that day. I was complaining and then Axl called me that same night and said he didn't want to work with Gilby anymore for a lot of different reasons. In a way I sort of went along with it, at least Axl thought I was going along with it because I had my own complaints from that night at rehearsal. This was about a year ago. […] [The dismissal of Gilby] was never etched in stone, but it was etched in Axl's mind. I knew there was no argument. Axl probably thought I was totally behind it. I went to talk to Gilby because I didn't want him to hear anything on the street. I told him what was going on, and everything was in a state of flux for a while. [Metal Edge, April 1995]

Goldstein: We respected [Izzy's] decision, but needed to quickly find a replacement for the impending dates. We were able to find Gilby Clarke. Gilby toured with us to complete the "Illusions" tour. Shortly thereafter Axl and Gilby spoke about what Axl wanted to try next. After Izzy's departure Axl felt Guns could use a little help in the writing department. Axl thought the addition of another guitar player (#3) would help the situation. Unhappy with this, Gilby stated "I don't want to be in Molly Hatchet" and quit. [Newsweek, January 2000]

Axl himself had made it clear from the first moment Gilby was hired that they had gotten him for the tour but weren't sure if they would write with him:

Axl: Right now we have a guitar player named Gilby Clarke. And he’s been in Hollywood about as long as us. And, you know, he’s doing a really good job. But I don’t know about farther than the touring. […] I don’t know about the next album, you know. We’re still talking with other people and stuff as far as that goes. [Rockline, November 27, 1991]

Axl: We don't know if we're gonna be writing with Gilby or somebody else. We know we want to play with Gilby, but we're not sure about the writing. [Hit Parader, June 1993; interview from December 1992]

You seem to be a master of GN'R historiography. Thanks for the quotes. I feel bad for Gilby, great player, Axl seemingly didn't want anything besides touring from him. Not that he's Izzy, but there probably aren't even any demos with him writing with Guns. Why ruin a good thing without even giving it a shot? They didn't do the same with Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Thank you!, amazing info. And yeah, I agree with @UsedYourIllusion, I feel bad for Gilby too, I think Axl should’ve at least gave him a chance on that, and I understand why Gilby would feel bad in that situation. I mean, after all, he didn’t spent a decade in the band, but still, he was in Guns N’ Roses for some important years, you would think you have a certain bond with your band mates I guess.

Edited by NicoGNR5
Bad typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

You seem to be a master of GN'R historiography. Thanks for the quotes. I feel bad for Gilby, great player, Axl seemingly didn't want anything besides touring from him. Not that he's Izzy, but there probably aren't even any demos with him writing with Guns. Why ruin a good thing without even giving it a shot? They didn't do the same with Matt

37 minutes ago, NicoGNR5 said:

Thank you!, amazing info. And yeah, I agree with @UsedYourIllusion, I feel bad for Gilby too, I think Axl should’ve at least give him a chance on that, and I understand why Gilby would feel bad in that situation. I mean, after all, he didn’t spent a decade in the band, but still, he was in Guns N’ Roses for some important years, you would think you have a certain bond with your band mates I guess.

I feel sorry about Gilby too, especially because he clearly was living his dream with GnR and sounded pretty confident that he would write with them (even though I assume Axl had told him in private the same thing he had said in public - but it's still pretty sad).

Gilby: One of the reasons I'm in the band is because I can write. Izzy was one of the major songwriters of the band, so it's a big hole to fill. In my last band I was the songwriter, as well as the guitarist and singer. I did everything. [...] I'm just lookin' forward to being able to write stuff with people like Slash, Axl and Duff. I mean, just imagine! I'll be able to write a song, and hear Axl sing it, and Slash play on it. To me, that's what I'll be lookin' forward to.  [M.E.A.T., September 1992]

Gilby did some - attempted - sessions with GnR (the one Slash refers to in the quotes) at the Complex in March 1994, which according to Slash in his book, went nowhere. It seems at least some of the material was what ended up in Snakepit, and Slash had already decided to go solo. It also seems Gilby had arguments with Axl and Duff over the Snakepit material he had been part of and Axl wasn't keen about writing with him in the first place, so that was it. 

EDIT: Axl though said later that there was potential in the riffs Slash had brought in but Slash didn't want to work more on them and develop them.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I feel sorry about Gilby too, especially because he clearly was living his dream with GnR and sounded pretty confident that he would write with them (even though I assume Axl had told him in private the same thing he had said in public - but it's still pretty sad).

Gilby: One of the reasons I'm in the band is because I can write. Izzy was one of the major songwriters of the band, so it's a big hole to fill. In my last band I was the songwriter, as well as the guitarist and singer. I did everything. [...] I'm just lookin' forward to being able to write stuff with people like Slash, Axl and Duff. I mean, just imagine! I'll be able to write a song, and hear Axl sing it, and Slash play on it. To me, that's what I'll be lookin' forward to.  [M.E.A.T., September 1992]

Gilby did some - attempted - sessions with GnR (the one Slash refers to in the quotes) at the Complex in March 1994, which, as Slash admits in his book, went nowhere. It seems most of the material was what ended up in Snakepit, and Slash had already decided to go solo. It also seems Gilby had arguments with Axl and Duff over the Snakepit material he had been part of and Axl wasn't keen about writing with him in the first place, so that was it.

It's kind of surprising to me as well cause a lot of the stuff on Pawnshop Guitars was awesome and would've been even better if it was given the full GNR treatment, and was around the same time. And I'm not sure how big his role in Snakepit writing was, but there's amazing stuff in there as well. Doesn't really make sense to me that they didn't think he was a good enough writer

5 minutes ago, registra said:

It's kind of surprising to me as well cause a lot of the stuff on Pawnshop Guitars was awesome and would've been even better if it was given the full GNR treatment, and was around the same time. And I'm not sure how big his role in Snakepit writing was, but there's amazing stuff in there as well. Doesn't really make sense to me that they didn't think he was a good enough writer

Gilby said that before doing Pawnshop Guitars he asked GnR if would want to use any of his songs, but no one showed interest. It seems that even Slash wasn't interested in Gilby's material besides the song he included in Snakepit 1, so he didn't want anything more than some input from Gilby in his own songs.

Yeah, I agree. That’s a really good album. Axl is on dead flowers, so I don’t know how was their relationship exactly at that particular point, but it’s a shame. I’m never going to stop thinking that the 95-96 album would’ve been even better than the Illusions if the band could’ve hold their shit together. Specially since Izzy came back for some tunes around that time too.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Does anyone think Axl over does it a tad bit on vocal overdubs at time? Like Dust N' Bones, Locomotive?

Not just a tad, his background vocals on Dust N Bones kinda ruin the song for me, especially in the second chorus. His improvised ''witty'' lines (''smoke 'em if you got 'em'', etc.) at the end of some songs don't contribute much either. And not to forget his climax sighs during So Fine.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

36 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Not just a tad, his background vocals on Dust N Bones kinda ruin the song for me, especially in the second chorus. His improvised ''witty'' lines (''smoke 'em if you got 'em'', etc.) at the end of some songs don't contribute much either. And not to forget his climax sighs during So Fine.

The Live Era version of Dust N Bones is the best version anywhere I think. Axl's cut out of the mix up until the very end, so it's just Izzy singing on his own for most of it. Really awesome performance.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I must admit when axl says "boyyyy" at the end of bad apples , doesnt do it for me.

7 hours ago, registra said:

The Live Era version of Dust N Bones is the best version anywhere I think. Axl's cut out of the mix up until the very end, so it's just Izzy singing on his own for most of it. Really awesome performance.

Go listen to the Stockholm '91 versions, Axl really adds a lot to the song, more so as they got more polished performing them. Easily the best two, I think, were from those shows. 

Edited by UsedYourIllusion

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree, 2 of my favorites. Plus Monkey Chow on Five o'clock, that's an amazing song.

Definitely. Cure Me... And Monkey Chow are better than some deep cuts off the Illusions albums. And that's without a 90s Axl singing them. 

• Like 3

Rick Beato is a professional musician and producer. He makes awesome videos about songs and musician stuff, but the best ones are the series "What Makes This Song Great?". 

So he tried to upload a video about Led Zeppelin and got blocked. In this follow up video, he mentions other artists that do the same, such as Guns N' Roses (and Hendrix, Prince..). His point: he doesn't make money from those videos, it all goes to the artist. So why blocking it? How they think they would reach to other people if they block anything that's not from their own account? 

And yeah, he said he didn't even attempt to make a What Makes This Song Great with a GNR track because of this ridiculous stupid bullshit. It's a fucking shame that everything about this band seems so idiotic these days.

• GNFNR 1
  • Wow 1

23 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Rick Beato is a professional musician and producer. He makes awesome videos about songs and musician stuff, but the best ones are the series "What Makes This Song Great?". 

So he tried to upload a video about Led Zeppelin and got blocked. In this follow up video, he mentions other artists that do the same, such as Guns N' Roses (and Hendrix, Prince..). His point: he doesn't make money from those videos, it all goes to the artist. So why blocking it? How they think they would reach to other people if they block anything that's not from their own account? 

And yeah, he said he didn't even attempt to make a What Makes This Song Great with a GNR track because of this ridiculous stupid bullshit. It's a fucking shame that everything about this band seems so idiotic these days.

I watched this last night and posted it to my Facebook page immediately afterwards. Rick hits the nail directly on the the head here. 

• Like 1