"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

14 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

woah... I swear to GOD when I made that original comment, I had no idea there was a current Death Hoax about Duff!

Clearly, I have the power. You are all warned.

https://en.mediamass.net/people/duff-mckagan/deathhoax.html

Lol, I'm reasonably sure they made up that "wide spread rumor" :lol:

Either way, you've shown your true powers and now I am frightened. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Do you realize if you posted that on the right website, it could be a commonly believed conspiracy in a little less than a year?  There are people who legit think Duff is dead.

My son loves GNR but does not keep up with any news and does not go online at all, he told me last year one of them was dead until I sent him a link to a video:facepalm:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueJean Baby said:

My son loves GNR but does not keep up with any news and does not go online at all, he told me last year one of them was dead until I sent him a link to a video:facepalm:

what a crazy funny story:lol:........ How old is your son at the time? Yeah some of these rumors etc.. can be so damn strange:wacko:especially in this social media age.

Edited by veronicajanice

7 minutes ago, veronicajanice said:

what a crazy funny story:lol:........ How old is your son at the time? Yeah some of these rumors etc.. can be so damn strange:wacko:especially in this social media age.

It was last year, he is 29. He hates social media and his girlfriend monopolizes their computer,l.

• Like 1

Ok, I'm calling it now: November 2018, Chinese Democracy double disc reissue, with CD2 as a bonus disc.

Axl gets the chance to mark the 10th anniversary of his magnum opus, the fans get a "new album" without people expecting Slash and Duff to be on it, people who didn't give the album a chance the first time round but enjoyed the songs at the gigs have something new to buy, Universal can recoup some more of the $13 mil they spent on tracks gathering dust, and the whole thing gets the band big publicity and new material for another few years of touring.

Everybody wins. 

It makes perfect sense... which means it probably won't happen.

Edited by Azifwekare

They wouldn't need to package anything in to entice people to buy new music. New music is the sell.

Everyone seems to refer to the next album as CD II, I guess by default, but I don't see any chance (or reason) to have the re-united band release new music as a sequel to something they were not a part of.  

I think we are more likely to get "AFD2" not approving or supporting that as a name, but it seems to be all the rage when bands/singers/groups get "back to their roots."

53 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

why cant GNR do a vault series of recordings like Pearl Jam or Release a major show from back in the day on vinyl or one major box set a year like the Grateful Dead are doing FROM JERRYS GRAVE NO LESS! i just dont understand

the AFD box set was absolutely torn to pieces by the fanbase, and I'm not talking about the price. Everyone took issue with the contents too. The truth is that honestly other than live stuff or Chinese Democracy era recordings - the vault isn't as full as most think. I doubt any big unreleased song exists from the AFD, Lies and UYI eras. I think The Plague and New Work Tune were legitimately the only non-live material left in the vault worth putting the in the AFD box.  

1 hour ago, History2010 said:

the AFD box set was absolutely torn to pieces by the fanbase, and I'm not talking about the price. Everyone took issue with the contents too. The truth is that honestly other than live stuff or Chinese Democracy era recordings - the vault isn't as full as most think. I doubt any big unreleased song exists from the AFD, Lies and UYI eras. I think The Plague and New Work Tune were legitimately the only non-live material left in the vault worth putting the in the AFD box.  

Im not even worried about new recordings or songs. Im talking about give us a live pro audio recording of a show, or parts of a show. Once a year. AND make us pay for it. It's just that simple. 

Put it this way.

Would you pay for a Guns N' Roses fan club membership if it guaranteed that no matter what merchandising they decide to do each year, they also throw out a show that was professionally recorded anywhere from 1987-1993. And maybe even bless us with audio from 2001-2015 if the program went on long enough. Those later years would probably be better candidates for full audio. Just saying. 

Say that in their 2019 Memebership they were going to drop Vault #1. (I assume they wouldn't call it a "vault" recording, but I'm no marketing wizard) "Vault #1" is the 1/04/1992 show from Biloxi, Mississippi. We have heard audio from this show before, but I believe it was crowd sourced. Imagine if we had it sourced straight from the DAT tape that was rolling that night. Since we have heard some of it, we know that there is a Double Talkin' Jive opener, Bad Obsession with no back up band, and Axl sings some of Shangri-la by Jeff Lynne. As well as all the staples. (Im not saying they would have this show, or that this show, or any show from this era would be picked. I'd personally pay for a pro audio show from any era.)

This seems like nothing to people who don't care about the music, I know. To them it's a cash grab. But for those of us that do know, this is something we've been wanting to get our hands on for years and years and years. We know they have it. Or at least parts of it. 

Pearl Jam does it. And they started when GNR were at their peak. Their original drummer wore an AFD shirt to one of their first gigs. They do this AND give you an option to buy the bitch on Vinyl. if you want it straight to your phone, boom and its done. All you have to do is pay your dues to have the right to buy it. Right now you can preorder vault #8 on their website. $50. 

The Grateful Dead do it for shows that are even older than GNR itself. They just recently put out a BOX SET for a whole string of shows (6 in total) from 1973/1974. Slash and Axl were approaching their teens. You see were im going with this? 

And finally i mention Bruce Springsteen. He also seems to enjoy putting out older releases. I believe hes done about 2 a year for the past couple of years now. 

I just have a feeling at least all of the shows from 1991 to now have been recorded and safely stored among all the other hoopla that Axl has. Why do you think things from 1993 and 2001 still leak. Because its out there. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stro said:

Actually it makes little to no sense to have a GNR reunion, go on one of the biggest and most successful tours of all time, then release 2 albums of music without Slash (or Duff, I guess)

Like I said, no one would expect Slash or Duff on CD bonus tracks, so there would be no "comeback album" expectations. And Axl coming off the reunion tour to release CD2 is no different than Slash finishing the tour to release and tour an album with Piles Kennedy.

Edited by Azifwekare

3 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

Like I said, one would expect Slash or Duff on CD bonus tracks, so there would be no "comeback album" expectations. And Axl coming off the reunion tour to release CD2 is no different than Slash finishing the tour to release and tour an album with Piles Kennedy.

No it's more like Van Halen reuniting with David Lee Roth and then releasing a 20 year old album with Gary Cherone after a successful tour.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Im not even worried about new recordings or songs. Im talking about give us a live pro audio recording of a show, or parts of a show. Once a year. AND make us pay for it. It's just that simple. 

Put it this way.

Would you pay for a Guns N' Roses fan club membership if it guaranteed that no matter what merchandising they decide to do each year, they also throw out a show that was professionally recorded anywhere from 1987-1993. And maybe even bless us with audio from 2001-2015 if the program went on long enough. Those later years would probably be better candidates for full audio. Just saying. 

Say that in their 2019 Memebership they were going to drop Vault #1. (I assume they wouldn't call it a "vault" recording, but I'm no marketing wizard) "Vault #1" is the 1/04/1992 show from Biloxi, Mississippi. We have heard audio from this show before, but I believe it was crowd sourced. Imagine if we had it sourced straight from the DAT tape that was rolling that night. Since we have heard some of it, we know that there is a Double Talkin' Jive opener, Bad Obsession with no back up band, and Axl sings some of Shangri-la by Jeff Lynne. As well as all the staples. (Im not saying they would have this show, or that this show, or any show from this era would be picked. I'd personally pay for a pro audio show from any era.)

This seems like nothing to people who don't care about the music, I know. To them it's a cash grab. But for those of us that do know, this is something we've been wanting to get our hands on for years and years and years. We know they have it. Or at least parts of it. 

Pearl Jam does it. And they started when GNR were at their peak. Their original drummer wore an AFD shirt to one of their first gigs. They do this AND give you an option to buy the bitch on Vinyl. if you want it straight to your phone, boom and its done. All you have to do is pay your dues to have the right to buy it. Right now you can preorder vault #8 on their website. $50. 

The Grateful Dead do it for shows that are even older than GNR itself. They just recently put out a BOX SET for a whole string of shows (6 in total) from 1973/1974. Slash and Axl were approaching their teens. You see were im going with this? 

And finally i mention Bruce Springsteen. He also seems to enjoy putting out older releases. I believe hes done about 2 a year for the past couple of years now. 

I just have a feeling at least all of the shows from 1991 to now have been recorded and safely stored among all the other hoopla that Axl has. Why do you think things from 1993 and 2001 still leak. Because its out there. 

Allllllll of this.

I've been screaming ideas like this for years but the band just seems uninterested in selling their fans anything but junk.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

I'm dumb enough apparently to already pay annually for Nightrain so of course I'd get that. I'm not saying that the vault stuff is a bad idea, I'm just saying that after the backlash from the AFD box I don't think the band are all that eager to dive back into the vault any time soon.

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Allllllll of this.

I've been screaming ideas like this for years but the band just seems uninterested in selling their fans anything but junk.

It truly amazes me how we’ve gotten this far with nothing like that. Especially when we live in a day and age where bands can literally sell their recorded show as they walk off the stage. If there are people within the GNR camp who think theres no market for this kind of thing, they are dead wrong. (Couch tour for Dead and Company, hello?!, PERISCOPE?!) And if they do think that, then tell them to stop sending their lawyers after everything that leaks!

8 hours ago, History2010 said:

I'm dumb enough apparently to already pay annually for Nightrain so of course I'd get that. I'm not saying that the vault stuff is a bad idea, I'm just saying that after the backlash from the AFD box I don't think the band are all that eager to dive back into the vault any time soon.

I don’t think you are dumb for paying for that. Thats your choice! I just think the AFD box backlash stems from the fact that its hard to listen to in one sitting, and theres nothing really we haven’t heard before. I can see where people wanted more. Human nature is a scary thing. To me it was worth it though. I bought my 3cd copy to replace my original copy of AFD that was basically shred to pieces from being in and out of cars and listened to. We could have never gotten something like this, and 10 years ago i guarantee you nobody ever thought we would.  

Although, speaking of the box set, and my point; 

Those 2 new live tracks from the Marquee that were included with the set is something new and fresh to listen to. HD audio of a 30 year old show! Imagine if they were doing this more often? Isn’t 75% of GNR as an entity at this point touring????? Thats literally what Axl and Co. have done non stop on and off since 2001. The band DOES have a massive touring following. They even know it! Look at their instagram and the endless stream of pictures of dedicated GNR fans in the front row with the tattoos and banners and flags. 

The market is there. Waiting to eat it up when it comes. If it comes.  

Edited by KeyserSoze

On 08/09/2018 at 4:47 PM, Azifwekare said:

Like I said, no one would expect Slash or Duff on CD bonus tracks, so there would be no "comeback album" expectations. And Axl coming off the reunion tour to release CD2 is no different than Slash finishing the tour to release and tour an album with Piles Kennedy.

I can see it more than most. As in Slash isn’t going to write a completely new GNR album himself. Like Slash said Axl has material (CD II and other stuff) and he has some material. So it will be a combination. It could be a lot more like Ron and Frank recording on CD than we expect. But there could be some cool new stuff from Slash too. Duff is also going have something. 

Just one new Axl/Slash/Duff track is enough to sell the album. If Slash’s riffs and solos are on half the tracks it’s pretty much the same as the old albums. 

Edited by wasted

6 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I was out and about wearing my Axl/DC shirt today, and walked past someone wearing a "For Those About To Rock..." shirt. We both noticed each other's  shirts and made eye contact, and I saw him die a little inside.

If you wear a CD shirt in public it’s like Beatlemania, people start chasing down the street with machetes. 

If Alfred is supposed to be protecting GNR’s copyright, he’s doing a piss poor job of it. Do you know how many bootleg CDs and DVDs I’ve hunted down over these last few months because the stuff keeps getting removed from Youtube etc? Fucking loads.

So yeah, the self-proclaimed GNR copyright warrior is actually benefitting the bootleggers. Good job, Alfred. I’m sure TB are proud of you.

• Like 2

How is there not a better quality version of the Brian May Catcher out there? Presumably it was May's solo that was still on the track before the middle of 2006 when Bumble came in laid down his tracks, and almost everything without Ron's additions leaked sometime between 2006 and 2008...yet never a higher quality/finished version of Brian May's Catcher. 

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Is there a decent quality performance of Rocket Queen ever that doesn't consist of any of the below: 

Talkbox solo

30 minute solo / jam

Axl rapping

Nu Guns

Closest I've seen is the Ritz but Axl missed half the song 😀

You're right, the old band rarely did a straight up performance of RQ. I never realised that until now.

The only one that comes to mind that doesn't look and sound like it was filmed on a potato is the 1986 Music Machine gig. But be warned, Axl is decked out in his Prince-style banana hammock. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

You're right, the old band rarely did a straight up performance of RQ. I never realised that until now.

The only one that comes to mind that doesn't look and sound like it was filmed on a potato is the 1986 Music Machine gig. But be warned, Axl is decked out in his Prince-style banana hammock. 

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Is there a decent quality performance of Rocket Queen ever that doesn't consist of any of the below: 

Talkbox solo

30 minute solo / jam

Axl rapping

Nu Guns

Try the performance Tokyo '88, great sound board, a little rarer than a lot of the other ones, but it's got a Steven solo, but it's definitely not as long as the NITL versions if I remember correctly

3 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Talkbox solo

30 minute solo / jam

Axl rapping

Nu Guns

The other Ritz show, the 1987 one.