"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:09 PM, lame ass security said:

I was just thinking yesterday about famous musicians who can't read music. None of the Beatles could, Elvis didn't, Hendrix, Clapton. I'm pretty sure Axl has mentioned he can but I'm not sure about any of the other guys. 

McCartney eventually learnt to read music and even has a sizable discography of classical compositions. 

• Like 1

It just hit me now...

For some reason with all the locker room discs and amazing ideas with no vocals... out of all of them... I mean there's tons of great ideas. Hell, even proper vocals for "Quick song" would be nice.

Axl chose to lay down vocals for "Silkworms".

WHY?

3 hours ago, bassplayer1993 said:

It just hit me now...

For some reason with all the locker room discs and amazing ideas with no vocals... out of all of them... I mean there's tons of great ideas. Hell, even proper vocals for "Quick song" would be nice.

WHY?

Who could resist laying down vocals to the lyrical art that is "pussy full of maggots"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, bassplayer1993 said:

It just hit me now...

WHY?

I am guessing probably Axl just happened to have more fleshed out ideas for that song at that particular time the disks were compiled.  Since these disks were filled with work-in-progress mixes and ideas, I am sure they were just one set in a long line of CD sets being made to send to each other for reference periodically.  In this particular period of time Axl may have just happened to have more fully fleshed out ideas for Silkworms and was working out melodies for the others and waiting for good enough ideas to lay down onto tape

At least that is my own theory anyways, I definitely wished there were some versions of Zodiac, Quick Song, and Soul Monster with full vox on those disks!

15 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I am guessing probably Axl just happened to have more fleshed out ideas for that song at that particular time the disks were compiled.  Since these disks were filled with work-in-progress mixes and ideas, I am sure they were just one set in a long line of CD sets being made to send to each other for reference periodically.  In this particular period of time Axl may have just happened to have more fully fleshed out ideas for Silkworms and was working out melodies for the others and waiting for good enough ideas to lay down onto tape

At least that is my own theory anyways, I definitely wished there were some versions of Zodiac, Quick Song, and Soul Monster with full vox on those disks!

Yea, but Axl only played 5 new songs live in 2001, and one of them was Silkworms... off all the songs he could've played to show off the new band, like Hardschool, State of Grace, Perhaps, TWAT, IRS, etc... he played Silkworms. I think he legitimately thought it was one of their better rockers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, but Axl only played 5 new songs live in 2001, and one of them was Silkworms... off all the songs he could've played to show off the new band, like Hardschool, State of Grace, Perhaps, TWAT, IRS, etc... he played Silkworms. I think he legitimately thought it was one of their better rockers.

What the hell would any of those songs sound like with 2002/2001 Axl? Honestly I'm perplexed by that entire version of the band.. YOU HAVE BUCKETHEAD, why play silkworms.. no prostitute, no TWAT, no ITW :/

Also, am I crazy for not hating the Yellow rock in Rio jacket?

Edited by UsedYourIllusion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/05/2020 at 5:10 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

What the hell would any of those songs sound like with 2002/2001 Axl? Honestly I'm perplexed by that entire version of the band.. YOU HAVE BUCKETHEAD, why play silkworms.. no prostitute, no TWAT, no ITW :/

I think he was saving some of the better stuff for later. And by that time, TWAT didn't have Bucket's outro solo. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 11:11 AM, Voodoochild said:

I think he was saving some of the better stuff for later. And by that time, TWAT didn't have Bucket's outro solo. 

Hasn't the plan for CD2 been documented to death by now?  I legit thought it was a forgone conclusion that Axl held stuff back for the presumed follow up...

18 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Hasn't the plan for CD2 been documented to death by now?  I legit thought it was a forgone conclusion that Axl held stuff back for the presumed follow up...

Yeah, but I was talking about CD1. I meant, by 2001/02, they we're saving stuff like TWAT, Prostitute, Catcher, IRS...  for the actual release. Obviously, that didn't happen. 

I was listening to Madagascar today. What a fucking great song. That MLK speech on the middle part is genius.

Axl got a lot of shit for the OTGM lyrics but not that much praise for this. Listen to that middle section today, I think it really speaks about the times that we are living.

• Like 4