"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

Local radio station in Winnipeg is doing 8 pack weekends. Submit your own playlist of 8 tracks that they play at the top of every hour all weekend and if they choose yours you're entered to win an 8 pack of beer from a local craft beer Brewery. 

I forgot I entered a few weeks ago. Got the email and mine is playing Friday evening. I got a Chinese-era song on local rock radio, which for some reason is hilarious but awesome to me. Went with Better as I felt it was the most radio friendly off the album as I thought it was a long shot to begin with. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm just gonna leave this here, it's old but it's awesome. Steven is undeniably the best drummer for GNR.

Steven always had a great groove, one I would've loved to hear on Locomotive, Dust N' Bones, Breakdown. Hell, I would've liked to hear his take on If the World

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Steven always had a great groove, one I would've loved to hear on Locomotive, Dust N' Bones, Breakdown. Hell, I would've liked to hear his take on If the World

There's a 5~ minute recording of Steven playing Locomotive at a Mates rehearsal, but I'd love to hear him play it now. I hope they include the best rehearsal/demo recordings of Steven playing UYI songs in the box set.

Of the CD songs, I think he'd sound the best on Shackler's. The chorus would sound great with his groove.

• Like 2

Is it common knowledge that GNR recorded Hanoi Rocks’ "A Beer and a Cigarette” and the Stooges' “Down on the Street” for the Spaghetti Incident but they were never released?

I had no idea!

I wonder if that’s the kinda thing they could squeeze into the UYI box. Everyone is always talking about Ain’t Goin Down... f that... those two tracks sound way more interesting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Is it common knowledge that GNR recorded Hanoi Rocks’ "A Beer and a Cigarette” and the Stooges' “Down on the Street” for the Spaghetti Incident but they were never released?

I had no idea!

I should probably know but from the interviews we have up to 2002, the title "A beer and a Cigarette" is never mentioned. They did mention having recorded a song by Hanoi Rocks, though, but specifically stated it was without vocals and didn't say which  one. This is possibly the song you mention, and which I assume some band members must have talked about after 2002 since the name gets swirled around.

"Down on the Street" was recorded and with vocals, but Axl liked the vocals on "Raw Power" better and it was chosen for The Spaghetti Incident?. Would be really cool to hear it.

There is also a possibility they recorded a cover of an Adolescents song and an extremely faint possibility they recorded a second T-Rex cover. But likely neither of those and that the only song with vocals that is in the Spaghetti vault is indeed "Down on the Street".

I summarized this as I plowed through the interviews here: https://www.a-4-d.com/t2763-the-spaghetti-incident#19825

• Thanks 1

Apparently the information that the Hanoi Rocks song that was recorded for TSI was "A Beer And A Cigarette" came from a Michael Monroe quote posted in the Q&A section at htgth:

According to Mike Monroe they wanted to record “Beer And A Cigarette”. Here's what he said about it:
Yeah, “Beer And A Cigarette” but they thought Andy McCoy was too much of a prick to deserve the publishing money.

I haven't found the original source of the quote yet.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Apparently the information that the Hanoi Rocks song that was recorded for TSI was "A Beer And A Cigarette" came from a Michael Monroe quote posted in the Q&A section at htgth:

I can’t really trust you as a source given your fanatical Michael Jackson takes. 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

So they might just have thought about recording it.

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

So they might just have thought about recording it.

Yeah, but on the other hand Slash said they "did" the song it (without vocals) but then decided not to include it. Unless "did" means rehearsed or demoed.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, but on the other hand Slash said they "did" the song it (without vocals) but then decided not to include it. Unless "did" means rehearsed or demoed.

He said they did one Hanoi Rocks song, not this one specifically? Then there is a possibility they considered doing this song but in the end did another (yet never added vocals). 

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

He said they did one Hanoi Rocks song, not this one specifically? Then there is a possibility they considered doing this song but in the end did another (yet never added vocals). 

Well, I don't know... So they might have thought recording A Beer And A Cigarette but didn't do it because they didn't want Andy McCoy to make money, and then recorded another Hanoi Rocks song but again thought they shouldn't give Andy McCoy money. Or maybe they thought about McCoy after deciding which Hanoi Rocks to record and doing so. 

I think the Michael Monroe quote, as is, doesn't help much to clarify this. We need the question that was asked, so we need to find the interview.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Well, I don't know... So they might have thought recording A Beer And A Cigarette but didn't do it because they didn't want Andy McCoy to make money, and then recorded another Hanoi Rocks song but again thought they shouldn't give Andy McCoy money. Or maybe they thought about McCoy after deciding which Hanoi Rocks to record and doing so. 

I think the Michael Monroe quote, as is, doesn't help much to clarify this. We need the question that was asked, so we need to find the interview.

Yep.

16 minutes ago, NachoLZ said:

What is that 40% chance of heart attack and the fatal heart disease is about?

He was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 2001, I think, and had a difibrallator implanted. It was quite serious, the doctors gave him between six days to six weeks to live. I don't know how the doctors really determined that, maybe someone who read his book can give more information. 

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

He was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 2001, I think, and had a difibrallator implanted. It was quite serious, the doctors gave him between six days to six weeks to live. I don't know how the doctors really determined that, maybe someone who read his book can give more information. 

His pacemaker went off about 4 times a song when he played w/ Michael Jackson in 2001, apparently! It wasn't calibrated right -- pretty nuts. You'd never know 'cause he was business as usual playing.

I like how he had to play Black or White at that show; I remember reading in an interview he thought the main riff to that song was "gay," :D and that he only did the pre-song guitar jam....

Fast forward he's rockin this "gay" riff live w/ a fishnet shirt on. 

Slash and Michael Jackson

Anyhow... haha

Edited by Ant
  • Haha 4

I just saw a piece on YouTube where Paul Stanley was talking about his meeting with Guns. Hilarious stuff. He went to the apartment where they were staying and met them. He said he wasn't sure if Izzy was alive because he was laying on the couch drooling. He said Duff and Steven were cool. Paul made some suggestions about Nighttrain but Axl wasn't responsive and never spoke to him again. Then he talks about doing the sound for one of their shows. At the end he said Slash shouldn't air his dirty laundry and said "it was nice knowing ya, now go fuck yourself."😄

Edit: I just wanted to add that Paul saw them play the night of their first meeting and said they were "stupendous." He said he couldn't believe it was the same "wasteoids" he had met that afternoon. 

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I just saw a piece on YouTube where Paul Stanley was talking about his meeting with Guns. Hilarious stuff. He went to the apartment where they were staying and met them. He said he wasn't sure if Izzy was alive because he was laying on the couch drooling. He said Duff and Steven were cool. Paul made some suggestions about Nighttrain but Axl wasn't responsive and never spoke to him again. Then he talks about doing the sound for one of their shows. At the end he said Slash shouldn't air his dirty laundry and said "it was nice knowing ya, now go fuck yourself."😄

Edit: I just wanted to add that Paul saw them play the night of their first meeting and said they were "stupendous." He said he couldn't believe it was the same "wasteoids" he had met that afternoon. 

It must be from the audio of Paul Stanley reading his autobiography. The picture with Axl was taken at the show he says he went the night of their first meeting (at Rajis), so I guess Axl spoke to him at least one more time :lol: The stuff about Slash is really hilarious.

• Haha 1