DIZZY REED: 'I Know What My Role Is With GUNS N' ROSES'

56 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Was bringing dizzy into the band an axl decision?. 

From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, he was about to get evicted from his apartment and called Axl about the job, and Axl being as loyal as he is, gave him the gig. He was supposed to join the band earlier in the 80s but it didn't happen back then.

It makes sense that Axl played piano on his own songs, I would have done the same thing, but it's kinda ridiculous making a musician an official member who ends up playing on less than half of the songs. It would have probably made more sense to hire him as a touring musician. If I remember correctly, I believe Duff even referred to Dizzy as a touring musician in his book.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EvanG said:

From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, he was about to get evicted from his apartment and called Axl about the job, and Axl being as loyal as he is, gave him the gig. He was supposed to join the band earlier in the 80s but it didn't happen back then.

It makes sense that Axl played piano on his own songs, I would have done the same thing, but it's kinda ridiculous making a musician an official member who ends up playing on less than half of the songs. It would have probably made more sense to hire him as a touring musician. If I remember correctly, I believe Duff even referred to Dizzy as a touring musician in his book.

Yeah, I think if there wasn't that situation with Dizzy and Axl hadn't already known him, probably the band wouldn't have had a keyboardist as a full member, only as a touring one.

Many of us may yawn at Dizzy's interviews and cringe when he says he always agrees with Axl, how great Axl has been, how grateful he is to him, etc. But the truth is that probably if it weren't for Axl, Dizzy would've given up his career as a professional musician; not because he isn't good at his instrument or anything, but that's what happened with most musicians who were in all those L.A. bands - and in bands in general. So it's kind of understandable from his POV.

• Like 4

Never had a problem with him to be honest.  He's a good piano player and doesn't stand out in a negative way.  The times I met him at aftershow parties, he put up with the fact I was totally hammered, was polite and was a decent conversation.  I guess you can say negative things about most of them if you catch them on an off-day.  Fortus was a total and utter cunt to people each of the times I met him.  Couldn't have made it clearer that he didn't want to be there.  Frank and Ron were always the best.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WAR41 said:

My favorite Dizzy Reed story is that I saw him play in Raleigh, NC when I wasn’t living down there in 2004 or 2005.  I was directly in front of him for the whole show which was great. After he was done he hung around for a while.  I walked into the bathroom to take a piss and in walks Dizzy after me.  So we’re standing next to each other pissing and I say sarcastically (I was pretty drunk and 23 years old) “so when is Chinese Democracy coming out?”.  Without even turning to look at me Dizzy says “Fuuuuucccckkkk you”.  I cracked up and walked out after washing my hands. 

LOL at least he didn't make a mother joke.

1 hour ago, T-Minus said:

Never had a problem with him to be honest.  He's a good piano player and doesn't stand out in a negative way.  The times I met him at aftershow parties, he put up with the fact I was totally hammered, was polite and was a decent conversation.  I guess you can say negative things about most of them if you catch them on an off-day.  Fortus was a total and utter cunt to people each of the times I met him.  Couldn't have made it clearer that he didn't want to be there.  Frank and Ron were always the best.

I've seen the same thing from Fortus. Kind of a bummer. He's always given the fans the impression that he couldn't care less about then. Or at least that's how it was the 4-5 times I've been around him. 

On 1-9-2018 at 2:58 PM, Sosso said:

GUNS N' ROSES keyboardist Dizzy Reed was recently interviewed by the "Nothing Shocking" podcast. The full conversation can be streamed below. A couple of excerpts follow (transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).

On how important it is for him to have an extra outlet, like his solo band and HOOKERS & BLOW, to play with when GUNS N' ROSES is off the road:

Dizzy: "I know what my role is with GUNS N' ROSES, and I'm very content and happy with that, and I'm very grateful and thankful that I've had that opportunity, over the years, to be a part of that, but as a musician and as an artist, I think it's important to have an outlet to go… There's other things that I can do and there's songs that I wanna sing and other things that I wanna do, and it gives me an outlet to do that, and that's great. But my number one priority is always with GUNS N' ROSES, and I'm always ready to do that when they need me. And I'm thankful and grateful that they are cool with me doing other things, like I [have been] doing."

On his preference for touring in terms of where he plays and how much time he spends on the road:

Dizzy: "Endless touring — that's my preference. That's how I roll. I'll take it whenever I can get it, 'cause there's been times in my life and my career where there was nothing. So if it's available, I'm gonna do it. That's what I prefer."

One how he keeps from being burnt out on touring after spending months on the road:

Dizzy: "Jägermeister. Actually, the real answer to that question is it's all I know how to do; it's my job and I'm way past the point of no return — like, way past. There's nothing else I can really do. And these days you don't make a lot of money selling records — if any at all, really. You've gotta go out and play in front of people. And I feel like that's what I was born to do — I've been doing it my whole life, since I was 10 years old. So that's how I do it. And if I start to get burnt out sometimes, and I do — we all do; the traveling really starts to take a lot out of you when you get older — but when it gets to that point, I just think about people that are busting their hump in a coalmine or working at a convenience store, or whatever the hell, and I think, 'I don't have it so bad, man.' And that's what keeps me going."

Reed's debut solo album, "Rock 'N Roll Ain't Easy", was released in February by Golden Robot Records. The disc features guest appearances by musicians from W.A.S.P., QUIET RIOT, PSYCHEDELIC FURS, THIN LIZZY, NO DOUBT, THE REPLACEMENTS, QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE, and more.

Reed is the longest-serving member of GN'R after singer Axl Rose. He joined the band as a touring member in 1990, during the "Use Your Illusion" era, and has played with most of the original members as well as in all the later editions of the group and the current "reunion" lineup.

In 2012, Dizzy was inducted into the the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame as a member of GUNS N' ROSES.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dizzy-reed-i-know-what-my-role-is-with-guns-n-roses/

I wonder if Axl ever does The Rock impersonations to Dizzy:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, T-Minus said:

How long ago was yhis?

Wondered if he changed his attitude since then.

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Pretty much this ronin. Axl did play the piano on november rain on the illusions recording and composing and coming up with the melodies. I dont know why he didnt do it play on all of the songs, and just have dizzy learn and play them for the tour except November rain. I really thought axl would play all of the songs on illusions so he would get more royalties and credits  for playing and composing.....if royalties work that way. I believe all melodies would be him. Was bringing dizzy into the band an axl decision?. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Dizzy's credits, like Tobias', were basically given to him by Axl as a reward for his loyalty. 

Anyone know if Dizzy wrote the piano composition for 14 years?

On 9/1/2018 at 10:55 AM, killuridols said:

How so? :question:

I know the local radio morning shows, which is the biggest in the area, says he’s one of the worst interviews they ever did. I never heard the interview and I don’t know the back story I just know something went wrong, and they’re usually very respectful. But I’ve always liked Dizzy and I’ve always thought he seemed nice

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Anyone know if Dizzy wrote the piano composition for 14 years?

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Also the intro piano in breakdown.

I don't think Axl would have played piano parts written by Dizzy and not by himself.

The question is if Axl wrote the piano parts on the songs Dizzy played on, e.g. the Locomotive outro.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ludurigan said:

thanks for the answer

not sure if you are aware that there is "Thin Lizzy" and there is "The people who present themselves (and sell live tours) as Thin Lizzy"

that kinda shit is sorta familiar, huh?

I really have no knowledge about thin lizzy, i was just trying to answer your question. Thanks for the info.

11 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Really? How many times have you met him? 

8 or 9 times. 

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've seen the same thing from Fortus. Kind of a bummer. He's always given the fans the impression that he couldn't care less about then. Or at least that's how it was the 4-5 times I've been around him. 

Exactly this.  One of the times there was a woman and her daughter trying to tell him how big a fan they were.  He was looking at his watch and gesturing to people behind them, pointing at it.  Completely disinterested.

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

How long ago was yhis?

Wondered if he changed his attitude since then.

The last time was in 2012 so it's possible.

6 hours ago, Senor_peligro said:

Ruined the best band in the world

fuck off talentless ass licker

Hmm. Well. As much as I not like Ditzy and would love to blame him, at the the end of the day he's irrelevant and that distintction of who ruined GNR would go to Mr. Rose.

On 9/1/2018 at 11:22 PM, PatrickS77 said:

There are 7 fans present when the band (minus Axl, Slash and Duff) arrive at the hotel and are only standing about 5 m away. 2 of them call out his name and ask him specifically for an autograph. He just pretends that nobody is there, doesn't even turn around and just stands there for a couple of minutes before entering the hotel, ignoring the fans. That was this year, when I was at the band's hotel. Last year, they were about to leave, came out of the hotel and walked to the car. Again one fan, out of a group of fans, standing between hotel exit and car, called out his name and asked for an autograph. Again, he just totally ignores the request and rather stands in front of the car for another couple of minutes, instead of spending 5 seconds to honor that fans' request,  before driving off. I didn't like the guy before and I can't stand him even less, after I witnessed this behavior twice. On one hand you have nobodies like him, acting like a total ass and on the other hand you have people like Johnny Deep, signing autographs for 20 minutes after a concert. Or the Dead Daisies, who met up with the band later and actually did step outside l to pose for photos with fans and gave autographs. And of course, when that happened, Dizzzy pretended to embrace the fans too. The very same ones he first ignored.

Fair - I met Richard and Dizzy with the Dead Daisies and they both were awesome and signed my copy of Chinese Democracy so I have nothing but good things to say about both! :thumbsup:

I’ve no real issue with him being in the band, and I think everyone knows his role in the band is minimal, as does he. 

In regards to whether he’s nice to fans, or not, I think there would be a lot of fans out there with good and bad stories about all gnr members at some point. I think what we do know of these guys is that they have ALL engaged in shitty behaviour at one point or another, but ultimately the music is why we follow them and the band. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, History2010 said:

I really have no knowledge about thin lizzy, i was just trying to answer your question. Thanks for the info.

thanks mate

well, its a fantastic band

it broke up in 1983

axl is (or was) a huge fan

so much so that he had the cover of the "black rose" album tattooed in his arm

he famously wore a thin lizzy t-shirt on the ritz 1988 show televised by MTV

you probably know all that i suppose

the black rose album is a great starting point if you know little about them and is curious to know more!

i am afraid axl took the line "you can do anything you want to do" a bit too seriously -- or misunderstood it just a bit!

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 12:22 AM, PatrickS77 said:

There are 7 fans present when the band (minus Axl, Slash and Duff) arrive at the hotel and are only standing about 5 m away. 2 of them call out his name and ask him specifically for an autograph. He just pretends that nobody is there, doesn't even turn around and just stands there for a couple of minutes before entering the hotel, ignoring the fans. That was this year, when I was at the band's hotel. Last year, they were about to leave, came out of the hotel and walked to the car. Again one fan, out of a group of fans, standing between hotel exit and car, called out his name and asked for an autograph. Again, he just totally ignores the request and rather stands in front of the car for another couple of minutes, instead of spending 5 seconds to honor that fans' request,  before driving off. I didn't like the guy before and I can't stand him even less, after I witnessed this behavior twice. On one hand you have nobodies like him, acting like a total ass and on the other hand you have people like Johnny Deep, signing autographs for 20 minutes after a concert. Or the Dead Daisies, who met up with the band later and actually did step outside l to pose for photos with fans and gave autographs. And of course, when that happened, Dizzzy pretended to embrace the fans too. The very same ones he first ignored.

After all, he did write Don't Cry! 😂😂😂

Ha. I feel like I’ve always related to Dizzy the most. If I somehow fell into a band as cool as Guns I too would hold on for dear life in whatever direction it went. Riots? No worries bro. Record .03 seconds of Chinese Democracy and watch cartoons w/Buckethead n’ Brain all day? Yeah- I’m down! Tour the world indefinitely with the dudes we used to hate? Rock on!

More seriously- Dizz knows what he has, and treats it thusly. No problem with that. Better than the opposite. BTW- check out his Christmas album(s) sometime if you want some more thoughtful, non-commercial holiday music come Nov/Dec. Strongly recommended.

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY