Fat Axl was the best post-90's Axl

Gordon Comstock

ad5e4198-cd44-491f-b224-348b727d7fa0_lar

Finally stepping on stage over a year after Chinese Democracy's release, the infamous Fat Axl era ushered in new memes, new songs being played live, and the best performances since the 90's.

I'm specifically talking about Asia 2009, Canada 2010 and South America 2010.

The setlists were fantastic and unpredictable, really the most unpredictable tour legs since 1991.

Axl was still fucking crazy, if he stopped a song you never knew if he'd finish it or walk off. He was talkative and brought out friends to jam with the band. They did surprise acoustic shows. CD 2 seemed like a not-so-distant reality and there were rumours of a tour documentary coming out (filmed by a guy called 'Rage', I forget his real name).

Most importantly, his voice was incredible. The full-throttle 1991 screamin' demon vocals were back.

I would take this band with Axl at this level over NITL-shows any day of the week. This was his post-90's peak. Discuss.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I think Axl still had confidence in 06 that he could be the best. 2010 was like his last ditch effort to make CD more than it was and it all faded away after that year. 

2006 Axl was in control

2010 Axl seemed more desperate. 

Both years were incredible though so either is a winner for me. I wish there had been a true US leg of the 2010 tour though 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think Axl still had confidence in 06 that he could be the best. 2010 was like his last ditch effort to make CD more than it was and it all faded away after that year. 

2006 Axl was in control

2010 Axl seemed more desperate. 

Both years were incredible though so either is a winner for me. I wish there had been a true US leg of the 2010 tour though 

Thinking he seemed or sounded desperate in 2010 is a pretty bizarre take imo. He was MORE in control and definitely more consistent in 2010 than he was in 2006, and seemed to be having more fun as a performer than he did in 2002 or 2006.

• Like 2

Totally. For me, Axl’s vocals in 2010 were his best since the 90s. By far. He brought that demon rasp back and he was also singing the songs in a proper way. That will be my favourite version of all time. Bucharest 2010 may be one of the best shows in his entire carreer, id kill to see a bluray of that show. But he wasn’t fat IMO, he was slim actually. He just had an awful clothing.

z504.jpg~original

z502.jpg

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw the show that followed the 'fat Axl meme' show, I know he wasn't really that fat, it's an unfortunate thing that's associated with that era but at this point we can just laugh about it. He was heavier in 2009-mid 2010, by the end of 2010 he was slim, Rio 2011 was another bout of memes and laughs but by the end of 2011, he was slim again. His weight seems to be irrelevant to his vocal capabilities though, the videos in my first post being good examples, and we all know how he looked and sounded in AC/DC.

I can see why people prefer 2006, but 2010 wins for me because:

Shacklers, If The World, This I Love, etc in 2010 >>> Better, IRS, TWAT, etc in 2006
Whole Lotta Rosie > Sailing
Duff and 2010 band > Izzy and 2006 band
Ron 2010 >>>>> Ron 2006
2010 shows were generally longer, and had more variable setlists [in the first half of the year]

2006 has the advantage of Robin and Brain (partially) and while Axl sounded great, in 2010 he sounded fuckin Godly, like belting his fuckin lungs out was cathartic, there was just a different intensity to his performances where he was pushing it to 110% each night.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I saw the show that followed the 'fat Axl meme' show, I know he wasn't really that fat, it's an unfortunate thing that's associated with that era but at this point we can just laugh about it. He was heavier in 2009-mid 2010, by the end of 2010 he was slim, Rio 2011 was another bout of memes and laughs but by the end of 2011, he was slim again. His weight seems to be irrelevant to his vocal capabilities though, the videos in my first post being good examples, and we all know how he looked and sounded in AC/DC.

I can see why people prefer 2006, but 2010 wins for me because:

Shacklers, If The World, This I Love, etc in 2010 >>> Better, IRS, TWAT, etc in 2006
Whole Lotta Rosie > Sailing
Duff and 2010 band > Izzy and 2006 band
Ron 2010 >>>>> Ron 2006
2010 shows were generally longer, and had more variable setlists [in the first half of the year]

2006 has the advantage of Robin and Brain (partially) and while Axl sounded great, in 2010 he sounded fuckin Godly, like belting his fuckin lungs out was cathartic, there was just a different intensity to his performances where he was pushing it to 110% each night.

Plus DJ Ashba was actually enjoyable in 2010. I liked his playing a lot, after that he just became a clown.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Peak obesity Axl was 2014:

Related image

Looks very different than he does four years later:

Image result for axl rose iceland 2018

Axl doesn't get enough credit for the amount of weight he shed in that period. I think the man looks great for his age.

2016 was fucking amazing. Coma, DTJ, Estranged among others, plus Axl fronting AC/DC. I'd probably say that 2016 is up there with 2006 and 09/10.

• Like 1

Ashba and Thal ruined it for me. Ashba for being an unlikeable and unskilled musician and Thal just because he manages to be a virtuoso and still "Meh" at the same time, nothing he does on stage impresses me. A very unlikeable combo, especially when you consider who they replaced: Finck and BH were very charismatic. Won't mention Slash and Izzy cause they never played in the same band.

But yeah Axl was on fire, great performances on a consistent basis.

Edited by edsonandhudson

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Axl doesn't get enough credit for the amount of weight he shed in that period. I think the man looks great for his age.

2016 was fucking amazing. Coma, DTJ, Estranged among others, plus Axl fronting AC/DC. I'd probably say that 2016 is up there with 2006 and 09/10.

2016 was probably the best overall year. He was very solid with GNR and straight up old Axl with ACDC

Still, 2010 was awesome. Its tough. 2006/07, 2009/10, and 2016 were all really good to Axl. Everything else since 2001 hasnt come close

• GNFNR 1