Tijuana Jail video (with Slash)

Posting here because Slash plays on the song and is in the video. 

I was in the NAVY when this album came out so I wasn't watching really MTV and don't remember this video but it is pretty cool..  Always loved the song...  Slash and Gilby recorded some good shit together between Pawnshop Guitars and It's Five O'clock somewhere. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah that was a killer song. Take Cure Me Or Kill Me, Tijuana Jail and Dead Flowers throw them in with a few Axl songs and a few off of It's 5 O'clock somewhere and there could have been a balls to the wall Gn'R album.. 

Yes agree two great songs, sadly that Gilby don't had too lucky with his carrer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Posting here because Slash plays on the song and is in the video. 

I was in the NAVY when this album came out so I wasn't watching really MTV and don't remember this video but it is pretty cool..  Always loved the song...  Slash and Gilby recorded some good shit together between Pawnshop Guitars and It's Five O'clock somewhere. 

I was in the pub most of the time when this album came out so I wasn't watching really MTV and don't remember this video. Or anything else for that time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I don't remember what season it was, but yeah, it was a dry time and fans like myself were desperate for new music.  I remember getting it the day it was released, and I stopped at a diner next to the mall.  I wanted to go home and listen, but my girlfriend was hungry.  As we waited for the food, I was reading through the credits and talking about GnR appearances on the album... I must have really been droning on, because the girl who was NOT a fan like I was loudly and firmly (not quite yelling) said "SHUT THE FUCK UP. I DON'T FUCKING CARE."

We didn't last.

Well done, this girl don't fit to you :lol:

Tijuana Jail is a fucking killer tune! I believe it was one of the songs Gilby presented to GNR but Axl denied, just imagine how fucking great would that song be performed by GNR, a real lost opportunity. 

I also love the song Skin N Bones, a great song that shows a versatile side of Gilby and that could also be a great GNR song. 

With axls vocals it would have been a good song to play even if gilby was part of the current GNR lineup.

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Trouble and Believe in Me were also good around that time. 

I know im in the minority but i have a soft spot for duffs solo album. Probably because it was an honest record and for gilby playing on the song "10 years".

thanks for posting, I didn't know they had re-recorded Tijuana Jail. That being said personally I prefer the original better. It is more aggressive which fits the song better. The re-recorded version is more mellow. I also love Matt's drumming on the original. between this, Snakepit and Neurotic Outsiders I would have loved to have heard what GN'R would have sounded like if Matt had been given more creative freedom when doing his drum parts.

21 hours ago, tony adler said:

And if I remember the 93-95 era when Cure me or kill me came out ( fall, and it was a real radio hit , like all of us I was thirsty for anything gnr related and axle was on dead flowers, 

Axl

Yup. My gf at the time bought me the CD

12 hours ago, default_ said:

Tijuana Jail is a fucking killer tune! I believe it was one of the songs Gilby presented to GNR but Axl denied, just imagine how fucking great would that song be performed by GNR, a real lost opportunity. 

I also love the song Skin N Bones, a great song that shows a versatile side of Gilby and that could also be a great GNR song. 

I never heard that about him showing that song to Axl.. Skin N' Bones is one of my favorites from that record too.

11 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I know im in the minority but i have a soft spot for duffs solo album. Probably because it was an honest record and for gilby playing on the song "10 years".

I love that Duff album.. A couple of the songs didn't age so well but I still dig most of it.. I like it better than LOADED and stuff.. I bought "sick" and it just sounded like generic pop rock to me.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ter said:

thanks for posting, I didn't know they had re-recorded Tijuana Jail. That being said personally I prefer the original better. It is more aggressive which fits the song better. The re-recorded version is more mellow. I also love Matt's drumming on the original. between this, Snakepit and Neurotic Outsiders I would have loved to have heard what GN'R would have sounded like if Matt had been given more creative freedom when doing his drum parts.

Matt was on pawnshop guitars? The whole thing? I didn't remember that

That first wave of albums post GnR was really good.  5 O'clock from Slash, Pawn Shop from Gilby, Izzy and the Ju Ju Hounds, and Duff's Believe in me.

Speaking of Duff's album... This should probably have it's own thread, but I'm not sure where it would go:

I remember reading (maybe in the liner notes?) Duff saying (The song "Fuck You") was a riff that GnR was messing with for years and couldn't figure out what to do with it.

What could have been?

Edited by DeadSlash
Fixed link

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, -W.A.R- said:

Yeah Pawnshop Guitars is a good album.

Slash was also on Cure Me or Kill Me, which is one of my favorite side-GNR songs. I like the mid-90's gravelly guitar sound.

It's pretty good. Some duds in there like Johanna''s Chopper. Gilby sure is a terrible lyricist though. Yeesh.