Do we really need a new album considering all that turmoil happend to CD with a risk of a potential feud?

The new Guns N' Roses album is getting closer and closer to be recorded. Slash mentioned that "everybody wants it" and he has many riffs and ideas, as well as Axl's recorded "tons of shit". So, that's a quite possible that by the end of the next year, Guns will end up in a studio. Dream comes true, isn't it? Finally we will get some new material, morever, with an original trio on tracks. I really want it to be released as soon as possible, however, if to think more practically, it also concerns me. 

Just remember how many problems caused Chinese Democracy - many producers and labels were changed, as well as musicians' line-ups and stuff. Buckethead was fired. Despite that by 2000 about 50 songs already was "in work", the album was released only seven years later. One of big issues was Rose's behavior, in which he showed up in a studio and worked whenever he whanted. Not all problems were caused by Rose, though, so it's unceartain that they will find a way to deal with all of them again. Many of these problems, such as Rose's inconsistence took place already during Illusions' recording. And then in 96' the band ended up partly because of these lack of a collaboration. 

What I am saying, is that, even if today everybody is cool and an inner atmosphere is great, there some chances that the story may be repetead. Of course, now we have Slash and Duff back and Axl seems to deal with all his mental issues, as there were no single incedent during 3 years of touring and for sure, he will be working more thoughtful, as his old bandmates here, but if it happened almost three times, what are the chances that this time everything would be smoothly? And if they'll feud again, we are at risk of loosing Slash/Duff or somebody else, or all of them in this production hell. That will be sorrowfully, as, must say, I really like this line-up, not beause "the best shape" or some members, but just for its maturity and decentness - show up on time, avoid incedents, play long sets with all classical songs. And want them to perform more and more in the future. 

So, the question is, isn't it a peril to record the new album, taking a past retrospective into a consideration? Maybe, for keeping this line-up safer, it's better for them to keep touring, occasionaly releasing singles and other periodical stuff? Or will they endure and will work on the album properly?

Edited by nikothebellic
  • Like 1

We should get more music. Axl has been a huge waste

He is older (but younger than other rockers) but the reason why people dont care as much about other bands slowing down like Aerosmith, Van Halen, Metallica, etc is because they have larger discographies

We pretty much only have 4 full original studio albums, an EP, and a covers album with Axl

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, nikothebellic said:

Maybe, for keeping this line-up safer, it's better for them to keep touring, occasionaly releasing singles and other periodical stuff? Or will they endure and will work on an album properly?

Yeah, but..... in order to release a single you need to get into a studio, right? :confused:
And previous to that, you need to discuss ideas, get into the process of songwriting.....

If they don't want to be playing the same old setlist for decades and decades, they really need new music so yes, we need new albums or new singles, but neither of those options can free them from hitting a studio.

I don't think the CD turmoil could be a reason to not make an album now.... that's a whole different story.... different musicians... Axl was the only guy making decisions and he was pretty lost at that.
With Slash and Duff, a big part of the weight would be put off of his shoulders and he might feel more relaxed to let his creativity roll in.

If Axl allows Slash and Duff to lead the songwriting process, he can have an album ready to go in 6 months, but if he starts asking opinion here and there, bringing idiots who don't belong to the band, producers, Paul Tobiases, then yes.... we would have CD bullshit all over again. But I don't think even Axl wants to go through that ever again.

• Like 2

Would you be happy with no new material and for them to tour the same setlist indefinitely? 

Whatever obstacles they may or may not have in front of them, I reckon they'll manage just fine and hopefully get a new release out some time soon. Don't hold your breath though!

• Like 1

It will need to happen for two reasons:

1. They want to write, record and/or release something under the GNR banner together again

2. They need a release of that nature to help fuel another tour and/or maintain a level of touring that makes their time and energy worthwhile to continue playing 

51 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, but..... in order to release a single you need to get into a studio, right? :confused:
And previous to that, you need to discuss ideas, get into the process of songwriting.....

If they don't want to be playing the same old setlist for decades and decades, they really need new music so yes, we need new albums or new singles, but neither of those options can free them from hitting a studio.

4 years ago, Axl said that CD2 was already done and ready to be released. Problem solved.

It will be very interesting to see how they go about releasing new music. The one positive is that there will be new music coming from the big three. However there's a ton of negative that will follow that. Either the new music sounds exactly like the old music and they didn't evolve, or the new music doesn't sound anything like the old music and it sucks, and regardless of what happens album sales will be way down which the media will have a field day with talking about how big of a disappointment it is. So I think it's an uphill battle for them to release anything, but I'll be very excited if they do. Especially if they could write with Izzy

At the same time, it's hard to think that they wouldn't release any new music if they're going to continue to tour the way they are. With Slash's financial situation I can't imagine that he can afford to leave the band. And I can't imagine the band will continue to sell out stadiums without something new to bring to the audience. Now, if the appetite five reunite then I'm sure they could probably do a very similar tour to not in this lifetime. But outside of that, I think ticket sales will start to decline unless there's something new to offer

• Like 2

People change the past is the past. Quit being an archaeologist and digging up old bones it's a complete waste of time. The guys are getting along great. It's time for a new record. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but some of the threads that pop up here really make me scratch my head. 

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, to be in a studio is an essential thing, but for an album they will need to collaborate much more longer and closer. To release a single is easier in terms of ideas and recording. Just mix what you have basically. But in the album case you need to think about the whole concept, theme, premise etc. Also, as in 90s, probably, Axl and Slash still have different view on favourite genres - one's more in ballad style and another's more heavy, hard rock style. So, the thing is to avoid personal egos for a greater good. That's the main thing and a question for the album. 

• Like 1

No, let's just have endless touring of the same songs🤣

Of course we need new music!!! And yeah, they may squabble, but EVERY band squabbles when they make a record! If they are strong enough, they'll be able to put up with each other and make a record so that they can then go out and play around the world wirhout the complaints of no new music.

I think the expectations have lowered a lot for them...... anyone with a bit of common sense knows they/we cannot expect another AFD!! They are way past their prime!!!

So I guess they should just relax and get on the studio and try to make the best hard rock album they can come up with at this point.

They've already made it big at the time when they needed to make it big. They've already gone through all the hell and swimmed in mud.... no one wants to see them fighting over bullshit anymore. That'd be immature and completely useless.

Get rid of the bullshit and just play the instruments. And if they are not happy with that album then make another and other and other and STFU!! :lol:

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1