Wagszilla

What's the best Michael Jackson song not on Thriller?

Wow...

Give in to me / Who Is it?

Man in the mirror

Dirty Diana

18 hours ago, Crazyman said:

Just curious - are the people listing "Heal the World" being serious? Because I honestly can't tell :lol:

Agreed. That song is crigeworthy for me, as is We Are the World. Which Heal the World is just We Are the World part 2. Of his "hits" those are the worst 2 imo. 

As for the topic at hand

1. The Way You Make me Feel

2. Man in the mirror

3. Will you be there

4. Rock with you

5. Most of Off the Wall

I've decided the objectively correct answer is "Man In The Mirror".

A distant but reasonable second: "Black or White".

The dynamics, mangs. 

On 9/9/2018 at 6:54 PM, Crazyman said:

Just curious - are the people listing "Heal the World" being serious? Because I honestly can't tell :lol:

For all the children's children. We can... make it a better place.

ITS A DELICATE AND BEAUTIFUL SONG HOW DARE YOU DOROTHY MANTOOTH IS A SAINT

• GNFNR 1

On 9/22/2018 at 7:05 AM, Wagszilla said:

I've decided the objectively correct answer is "Man In The Mirror".

A distant but reasonable second: "Black or White".

Points deducted from your overall score.

17 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Points deducted from your overall score.

I need to listen to his stuff again.

Thriller is still the best but Dangerous and History > the other stuff.

By far for me.

It's almost like I have a thing for melody and humanism over pop smarts and mindless glamour. 

3 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I need to listen to his stuff again.

Thriller is still the best but Dangerous and History > the other stuff.

By far for me.

It's almost like I have a thing for melody and humanism over pop smarts and mindless glamour. 

For me the top order goes-

HIStory
Bad
Dangerous
Thriller

Only 1? Is it scary, Ghosts, Morphine,  Give in to me, Who is it?, Whatever happens, Tabloid Junkie, Stranger in Moscow, Earth Song, They don't care about us, Scream, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, Rock with you... there are so many. And yes, I also do like Heal the world a lot.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

On 10/09/2018 at 11:36 PM, janrichmond said:

:D

ONE JARVIS COCKER!  THERE’S ONLY ONE JARVIS COCKER! :D

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

ONE JARVIS COCKER!  THERE’S ONLY ONE JARVIS COCKER! :D

Brit awards 96 I remember that lol Jacko had Crimbo number 1 that year didn't he? Fucking Earh song aye?

Since this is becoming an MJ thread I'm just gonna say this - as much as I enjoy Off The Wall, Thriller, etc., I like his "newer" stuff just as much, if not more. Those albums have some incredible pop music, but it's basically bubblegum pop. MJ started growing as an artist once he started getting away from Quincy (who is bitter as fuck about MJ recently).

Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible still have some of that bubblegum shit, but the first two really started pushing into more creative territory. It's a shame he didn't build on that in his later career.

The first 5 tracks on HIStory is the best 5 track sequence in his catalog that I can think of off the top of my head.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crazyman said:

Since this is becoming an MJ thread I'm just gonna say this - as much as I enjoy Off The Wall, Thriller, etc., I like his "newer" stuff just as much, if not more. Those albums have some incredible pop music, but it's basically bubblegum pop. MJ started growing as an artist once he started getting away from Quincy (who is bitter as fuck about MJ recently).

Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible still have some of that bubblegum shit, but the first two really started pushing into more creative territory. It's a shame he didn't build on that in his later career.

The first 5 tracks on HIStory is the best 5 track sequence in his catalog that I can think of off the top of my head.

What exactly would you classify as "bubblegum". I would say, he had none of that and truth of the matter is, you find few songs that suck (if at all). All of his Albums are great and yes, moving away from Quincy (an old and arrogant fool and passive aggressive senile jackass) brought him into more creative territory. You're forgetting the 5 new songs on Blood on the Dancefloor. I really wished that would have been the direction. Invincible, while still a solid album, was a bit a disappointment in that sense.

12 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

What exactly would you classify as "bubblegum". I would say, he had none of that and truth of the matter is, you find few songs that suck (if at all). All of his Albums are great and yes, moving away from Quincy (an old and arrogant fool and passive aggressive senile jackass) brought him into more creative territory. You're forgetting the 5 new songs on Blood on the Dancefloor. I really wished that would have been the direction. Invincible, while still a solid album, was a bit a disappointment in that sense.

Quincy has definitely turned into a jackass. He seems to resent everyone he worked with and thinks he made them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

I'm a big MJ stan but he's definitely had a few bad songs. The bubblegum stuff I'm talking about are the fillers on the "major 3" albums - anything involving Paul was definitely bubblegum especially.

Once you start getting to Dangerous you stop hearing so much of that, but unfortunately you also get stuff like Heal The World and Childhood. Totally agree with Blood on the Dancefloor - I was gonna include it but since it was considered a remix I didn't. I actually like Invincible more than most people, I think.

Speaking of Invincible, it's sad that MIchael's beef with Sony screwed over his actual best humanitarian song - What More Can I Give is much better than Heal The World, We Are The World, etc. Hopefully they release a good quality version of his solo demo on a boxset in the future.

PS - it's been 4 years since a "new" MJ album...what the fuck?!

1 minute ago, Crazyman said:

I'm a big MJ stan but he's definitely had a few bad songs. The bubblegum stuff I'm talking about are the fillers on the "major 3" albums - anything involving Paul was definitely bubblegum especially.

Once you start getting to Dangerous you stop hearing so much of that, but unfortunately you also get stuff like Heal The World and Childhood. Totally agree with Blood on the Dancefloor - I was gonna include it but since it was considered a remix I didn't. I actually like Invincible more than most people, I think.

Speaking of Invincible, it's sad that MIchael's beef with Sony screwed over his actual best humanitarian song - What More Can I Give is much better than Heal The World, We Are The World, etc. Hopefully they release a good quality version of his solo demo on a boxset in the future.

They're gonna start releasing singles only. I think they're done with albums. 

2 hours ago, Jw224 said:

They're gonna start releasing singles only. I think they're done with albums. 

Singles as in remixes? There's a ton of shit in the vaults still - every few months a few songs (in bad quality) have been leaking

3 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

Singles as in remixes? There's a ton of shit in the vaults still - every few months a few songs (in bad quality) have been leaking

Yeah remixes. Yeah I know but none of that stuff is actually usable (only chorus vocals) and the Estate only care about songs if they can slap some phat 808s on them and if they have enough vocals to be considered a song. They also wanna keep this going as long as possible so a few singles a year will help with that. 

• Sad 1

I got the first one but it was fairly feeble stuff apart from ''Behind the Mask''. I downloaded the second but never got round to listening to the thing.

47 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I got the first one but it was fairly feeble stuff apart from ''Behind the Mask''. I downloaded the second but never got round to listening to the thing.

I'm sad I bought that as it has three fake songs on it haha, didn't know that at the time, mind you. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

The originals on the 2nd album were pretty good. The remixed side is a piece of shit.

6 hours ago, Crazyman said:

Once you start getting to Dangerous you stop hearing so much of that, but unfortunately you also get stuff like Heal The World and Childhood.

OOvKF3b.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

OOvKF3b.gif

Because it was the theme to one of the Free Wiley movies...right? RIGHT?!

And because I just brought that up FW > FW2 and Will You Be There > Childhood

On 27.9.2018 at 6:54 PM, Crazyman said:

But not more than 1 or 2 songs per album max. TGIM is a snooze fest and Girlfriend is atrocious. But you were talking about Dangerous/HIStory/Invincible and the two songs mentioned certainly don't fit the bubblegum category.

Yeah. What more can I give is great, but like I said, I also do like Heal the world. And we are the world.

Edited by PatrickS77