I just watched Paul McCartney on Jimmy Fallon...if he can do it at his age, then Guns can too

Ace Nova

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, absolutely. We age differently, some lose the mojo, some lose the ambitions, some lose the interest. We cannot expect everybody to continue to sing like Steven Perry, strut like Mick Jagger, and create like McCartney into their 70s. We are all different. There really isn't anything to excuse for the effect of age, but if we want an explanation I suppose you can pick anyone from has enough money already/lost the drive/can't do it any more/change in markets/etc. 

Right, my text was mostly in the comedic vein, I don't disagree with that.  Although for me hearing about how much music was created during the "lost years" versus what has actually come out, it definitely boggles my mind and comparisons to bands/artists like Macca kind of make it even more mind boggly for me lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Err....they released in excess of 40+ songs from 1989-1991. That's a ton of songs in a pretty short period of time.  They have it in them to do it, or at least they did.

I wonder if Izzy leaving had anything to do with fuck all material being wrote after 91

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Dude is 76 years old.  He's on Jimmy Fallon and coming out with new tracks....this is after he could have easily retired as the frontman of the biggest band ever....but he didn't and he's still at it.

Axl & Slash, what is your excuse?

slash is releasing music all the time

it is horrible music, but you cant say that he is not releasing stuff

17 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

It's not that complicated.  Really.  These guys could release 20 tracks that would rock the world if it came from their hearts. 

of course... get izzy, slash, dough and a good drummer (first choice steven) in a room and they will give you a fantastic album in two weeks

all that axl needs to do is enter that room and be part of it

17 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

There is a balance, hopefully they will find it together.  Axl doesn't release enough, and honestly I legit believe Slash releases too much.  It's too watered down and means a lot less.  Don't get me wrong, I like Slash, and I don't care that he releases too much, I prefer that over the Axl approach, but I find it hard to believe many people would argue that if you took all of Slash's work Post GnR and boiled it down to the top tier songs, he would be more iconic that he is now.

I think the perfect illustration of Slash is that 2006 song he did with Chris Daughtry, I saw an interview where he talked about the record label asking him to do a track on the album, and he was like "Nah, I'm really busy." But he said they kept calling, so he listened to the song once and laid a solo and didn't hear it again until it was on the radio.  That's a little too uncaring about the quality of what you are putting out.   

i see your point but this chris daughtry example is a really poor example

slash is not "putting out" anything in this case

chris daughtry is putting out a song

chris daughtry and his label are truly stupid to think that slash will come up and spend more than five seconds on a solo for a stupid cheap pop song like the song they asked slash to put a solo on

chris daughtry would be wiser to ask an unknown guitar player with something to prove and who actually could somehow enjoy that shitty song

but he was probably more interested in having slash on the song than having a good guitar solo on it, right?

you gotta judge slash for his albums and most of them suck because the songs are just weak and lifeless, very poorly structured with horrible dynamics so slash's guitar ideas are lost on most of them

that's slash's fault because he was never wise and humble enough to realize that he needs a songwriter partner by his side to take the best out of him, someone able to write good songs around his fantastic ideas

he thinks he has that with miles but he does not

Edited by ludurigan

17 hours ago, jamillos said:

Yet another thread where people won’t understand that the band has hardly even finished the tour, during which it would have been impossible to create and release an album, and that the tour is completely justifiable given it’s one of the biggest reunions in the history...

"impossible to create an album"?

are you serious?

bands have created albums while on tour for ages

slash himself has said that he is always recording ideas for songs while on tour

16 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I have never understood the argument 'just because X does it, why don't Y?'

it is not "x" that does it

it is x, z, a, e, r, t, y, u, i, o, p, a, s, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, z, x, c, v, b, n, m...

the entire planet does it

even those who don't need it

the only one consistently not doing it for nearly three decades, with the exception of a 13 million dollar poor album, is "y"

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Err....they released in excess of 40+ songs from 1989-1991. That's a ton of songs in a pretty short period of time.  They have it in them to do it, or at least they did.

Er... 3 albums... 2 in my opinion but, I'll concede for the sake of the argument. In the space of 4 years they released 41? songs. Yeh, that's all well and good... but it still doesn't change the fact that after '91 they went on a go slow, and that lasted right up to 2008!!! I realise you want new material, but you can't cherry pick the details, just to write the story you want to believe. 

In theory, yes! of curse they can kick out a triple album for the end of the year, or they could release a new single before the last leg of the NITL as a thank you, and a teaser for things to come. They could do all of that, but! the go slow continues! look no further than the setlist. These guys are content, they don't mind playing the same songs in the same order every night! They just want to take it easy. And, yes! I think they want to be creative and I think they want to be creative together! but, do I think it's a pressing issue for any one of them at this point in time? no.

Best advice - Go and listen to the GNR back catalogue and enjoy that in the interim, when you get tired of that go out and find some bands that don't move at a snails pace and dive head first into their music and enjoy it; rinse repeat... you may have to do this multiple times :P 

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Er... 3 albums... 2 in my opinion but, I'll concede for the sake of the argument. In the space of 4 years they released 41? songs. Yeh, that's all well and good... but it still doesn't change the fact that after '91 they went on a go slow, and that lasted right up to 2008!!! I realise you want new material, but you can't cherry pick the details, just to write the story you want to believe. 

In theory, yes! of curse they can kick out a triple album for the end of the year, or they could release a new single before the last leg of the NITL as a thank you, and a teaser for things to come. They could do all of that, but! the go slow continues! look no further than the setlist. These guys are content, they don't mind playing the same songs in the same order every night! They just want to take it easy. And, yes! I think they want to be creative and I think they want to be creative together! but, do I think it's a pressing issue for any one of them at this point in time? no.

Best advice - Go and listen to the GNR back catalogue and enjoy that in the interim, when you get tired of that go out and find some bands that don't move at a snails pace and dive head first into their music and enjoy it; rinse repeat... you may have to do this multiple times :P 

GNR apologist 😜

4 hours ago, ludurigan said:

"impossible to create an album"?

are you serious?

bands have created albums while on tour for ages

slash himself has said that he is always recording ideas for songs while on tour

This is GN'R though. It needs to be thorough. UYI stuff had been mostly done prior to the tour too.

4 hours ago, ludurigan said:

it is not "x" that does it

it is x, z, a, e, r, t, y, u, i, o, p, a, s, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, z, x, c, v, b, n, m...

the entire planet does it

even those who don't need it

the only one consistently not doing it for nearly three decades, with the exception of a 13 million dollar poor album, is "y"

Most people don't release solo records at the age of 74 (?). Not even most musicians do that.

7 hours ago, jamillos said:

This is GN'R though. It needs to be thorough. UYI stuff had been mostly done prior to the tour too.

you mean "this is axl rose though" right?

because everyone in GNR outside of axl -- meaning izzy, slash, dough and steven -- are capable to create an album while on tour

and everyone that has been on the alternate-reality-Axl-Rose-fake-news-version-of-GNR -- from buckethead to dj ashba -- are capable of doing it as well

6 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

you mean "this is axl rose though" right?

because everyone in GNR outside of axl -- meaning izzy, slash, dough and steven -- are capable to create an album while on tour

and everyone that has been on the alternate-reality-Axl-Rose-fake-news-version-of-GNR -- from buckethead to dj ashba -- are capable of doing it as well

Yet the only thing they created during the UYI tour was a cover-version album.

I mean, writing new material surely can be a laborious process that needs concentration etc. How do you get several people in a studio between two dates that are 2–3 days apart, especially when you’re on the other side of the globe or whatever and haven’t even slept yet?

I’m not saying they cannot work on separate ideas etc., but for god’s sake, let’s be a bit realistic here. Nobody can be expecting a new album while the band is on a reunion world tour.